Huge projects unveiled for Portland waterfront

http://25india.com/gallery.html

State-of-the-art technology at use here. 1-12-08
dsc0310pd0.jpg

From the Forecaster...

Ocean Gateway nearly complete
By Kate Bucklin (published: January 10, 2008)
http://www.theforecaster.net/story.php?storyid=13363

Inside the receiving building at the foot of Ocean Gateway, steel and glass dominate the cavernous space. Views are to the east and south, and Monroe said in the off-season he expects the city will rent out the building for private functions such as weddings and charity events. Because it is designed as a ?multi-use? transportation station, the building may also accommodate bus and taxi services.

A few from the past weekend....

dsc0320vk9.jpg

dsc0319fa7.jpg

dsc0322rx1.jpg

Sweet name
dsc0327gv2.jpg

Can someone tell me how major cruise ships work in Portland? Do the leave from Portland or stop between destinations? If they stop between destinations, do passengers flood the peninsula and spend money?

I don't think they ever any pick up passengers in Portland, but I've never been on one so I may be wrong. The cruise ships usually spend a day or a night in town and then head off to their next destination up or down the coast. From what I gather, a lot of ones that visit Portland also visit Bar Harbor.

The large cruise ships that visit Portland generally embark from either Boston or NYC, and do 7 - 10 day tours of New England and Atlantic Canada, with some ending in Montreal and some returning to their port of call.

The Portland stop usually lasts for a better part of a day, though occasionally they will arrive in Portland at the crack of dawn, leave in the early afternoon and arrive in Bar Harbor in the evening.

The stops are a huge benefit to Portland, though unfortunately (in my opinion) many of the passengers immediately board buses for Freeport, Kennebunkport or Kittery. Those buses are arranged by the cruise companies and the chambers of commerce from those towns.

The only ship that has traditionally picked up or dropped off passengers in Portland is the Scotia Prince, which made an 11-hour trip to Yarmouth, Nova Scotia. They were in operation for over 30 years, but for numerous reasons that service fell apart and in the last couple years The Cat has assumed that same route, doing the trip in half the time but only stopping in Portland every other day, with Bar Harbor being their stop on the other days.

While the Scotia Prince was an aging boat (I took it once and it was an underwhelming experience) it was a fixture on the Portland waterfront in the summer, and many people made a point of watching the ship make its graceful departure from the harbor each evening at 9pm.

^^ I wasn't aware that the Cat only came every other day. That's a shame about the Scotia Prince too. I'm surprised at the the cruise ship industry with Portland, in my brief experience here, I'd say it would be a prime candidate for a boost in the industry do to the pedestrian friendly nature of the town and the attraction's proximity to the waterfront (although i do not know where the cruise ships dock).

Could someone please fill me in on what's going on with the cruise ship killing ordinance (all i have heard on local stations is that it's, "Bad because some ships are forced to stay in the harbor longer..."), or at least link me to some more information on it? I would hate to see the cruise ship industry leave the area because Portland is a perfect spot for tourists in the summer.

They finally started smashing down the big ugly metal looking building next to the new Ocean Gateway parking garage. I think that's where the Marriot is going. The garage itself is really taking shape.

Haven't heard anything about the Jordan's Meat plant development across the street since they announced their new plans.

Back