Hurley Building Redevelopment | 19 Staniford St | West End

But not all Brutalism is created equal. It’s perfectly valid to find the Christian Science Center gorgeous while hating the Government Service Center. It’s not the architectural style that’s at fault here.
For sure, there's always an exception. One architectural style that I find similar to brutalism in regards to how it is received is Frank Gehry's deconstructivism in the sense that a few of them are pure gems while many of them are awful, filled with design flaws, and unable to interact with its surrounding.

Just purchased. I believe there are other copies available…
8C9484E6-EFCA-4B89-AA74-3B072B5876A4.png

I couldn't care less about his legacy.

But it's an architecturally significant building that's been neglected by the city (surprise). Clean and restore it, then reconfigure the Cambridge St side to be a real entrance. The Courthouse monstrosity was bad enough. I hope they don't ruin the block even more with some glass shampoo bottle like they're getting down the street.

It's too bad the north court isn't in the scope here. That's probably the most tragic misuse of a space in the city. Such a cool layering of vertical circulation and plaza obliterated with a chained-off parking lot.

I couldn't care less about his legacy.

But it's an architecturally significant building that's been neglected by the city (surprise). Clean and restore it, then reconfigure the Cambridge St side to be a real entrance. The Courthouse monstrosity was bad enough. I hope they don't ruin the block even more with some glass shampoo bottle like they're getting down the street.

It's too bad the north court isn't in the scope here. That's probably the most tragic misuse of a space in the city. Such a cool layering of vertical circulation and plaza obliterated with a chained-off parking lot.

I am not sure what is technically the "north court" that you refer to, but the above-referenced Globe article states:
Developers will also need to propose improvements for 2.15 acres of open space on the block, including a paved area next to the adjacent Lindemann Mental Health Center, a provision that reflects community input received about the project during the past two years. (The Lindemann is not being redeveloped.)

I am not sure what is technically the "north court" that you refer to, but the above-referenced Globe article states:
Hmmm I'm not exactly sure which area that's referencing. I'm talking about the corner plaza at the intersection of Staniford and Merrimac. The wording in the globe could reference that area, or the small sliver along Merrimac, or area inside the courtyard. Hopefully the former. It's too bad both Hurley and Lindemann aren't lumped into one big (re)development.

Hmmm I'm not exactly sure which area that's referencing. I'm talking about the corner plaza at the intersection of Staniford and Merrimac. The wording in the globe could reference that area, or the small sliver along Merrimac, or area inside the courtyard. Hopefully the former. It's too bad both Hurley and Lindemann aren't lumped into one big (re)development.

I'm with you 100% regarding the corner plaza at Staniford/Merrimac, and I agree the specifics the Globe is referring to are unclear. However, I think it's promising that they mention responsibility for 2.15 acres of open space on the block including a "paved area next to the Lindemann." Fingers crossed that includes the corner in question.

I'm with you 100% regarding the corner plaza at Staniford/Merrimac, and I agree the specifics the Globe is referring to are unclear. However, I think it's promising that they mention responsibility for 2.15 acres of open space on the block including a "paved area next to the Lindemann." Fingers crossed that includes the corner in question.

Good news: that area IS part of the plan. I’ve just re-read some of the proposal/planning documents on massgov, and took screen captures of the pertinent sections, which include good visual maps, but my phone is refusing to upload them right now.

Good news: that area IS part of the plan. I’ve just re-read some of the proposal/planning documents on massgov, and took screen captures of the pertinent sections, which include good visual maps, but my phone is refusing to upload them right now.

I'm skeptical about the Merrimac plaza potentially being converted into anything other than a surface parking lot. There's a small garage inside the building, but the plaza-turned-surface lot is too critical to the functions of the building. There are shelters, emergency mental health services, and outpatient clinics on that location. Clinical staff, visitors, and emergency vehicles use that lot for access as the clinical/emergency entrance door is right there. I'd love to see the plaza restored, but I think the argument for preserving the emergency and visitor access via that lot will win out.

I'm skeptical about the Merrimac plaza potentially being converted into anything other than a surface parking lot. There's a small garage inside the building, but the plaza-turned-surface lot is too critical to the functions of the building. There are shelters, emergency mental health services, and outpatient clinics on that location. Clinical staff, visitors, and emergency vehicles use that lot for access as the clinical/emergency entrance door is right there. I'd love to see the plaza restored, but I think the argument for preserving the emergency and visitor access via that lot will win out.

Why not create a ramp to a small below-grade level directly beneath the plaza where the above functions you describe could take place? I get that the state would never pay for that on their own, but as part of a 9-figure investment in the whole block overall, it's not unreasonable.

Why not create a ramp to a small below-grade level directly beneath the plaza where the above functions you describe could take place? I get that the state would never pay for that on their own, but as part of a 9-figure investment in the whole block overall, it's not unreasonable.

I wouldn't hate it, but I think it'd be cost prohibitive. I think the most cost effective solution would be to ditch the fence (hopefully part of any plans for a functional plaza) and convert these street parking spots (you can see the entrance to the left of the stairs in the background) to ambulance/emergency drop off/pickup and accommodate staff and visitors in either the existing garage (very limited space), or in part of the Hurley development.

Four bids for a long-term lease of the Hurley property were submitted by last month’s deadline. Each finalist met the state’s request to accommodate up to 350,000 square feet of government offices — more than enough room for the state functions there today. All four include additional development, such as labs, retail, and offices. DCAMM hopes to pick a winning bid by the end of March and announce that selection by the end of June.

So 350,000 sq ft is generally around 10 floors, the labs would probably be a separate tower, additional offices could either be stacked on top or a separate tower. Its a huge site so 3 buildings could definitely make sense or they could build 1 tall office tower and a separate lab building with a park and retail plaza or something. I wish there was a housing component too, specifically a Robert stern residential.. but should be interesting to see the proposals.

Back