Husson College Expanding

Interesting news. I work at Unum and think this would be a good fit in the former Elks building. I'd love to see an urban campus downtown, maybe in Bayside, but I understand that Husson is a commuter college in a rural state which means most people will be commuting alone via automobile anyway. A quote form the PPH article:

The residents of one nearby home have expressed concern about the proposal. William Linnell and Joyce Gauthier of 1905 Congress St. said in a letter to the Planning Department that allowing a school to hold night classes would disrupt the neighborhood when it usually is quiet.

But Elizabeth Hoglund, a spokeswoman for the Stroudwater Village Association, said nearly all of her members support the university's plan.

"We do support this project. It certainly won't be any worse than what is already there," Hoglund said.

The argument against this based on the quietness of the neighborhood is pretty weak. The lot is well separated from most of the housing in this area and the slight increase in traffic at night on a four lane road will likely be unnoticeable. If anything, maybe this will help drum up support for better pedestrian and bike infrastructure on outer Congress Street, which I know is currently being looked at by the city. Kudos to the Stroudwater Village Association’s support.

Back