I-90 Interchange Improvement Project & West Station | Allston

Can we please get a transit-design team from another first-world country to consult or just design this for the MDOT, who clearly do not understand or have any demonstrated expertise in transit design?

Also, can the Governor's office and the Mayor's office please insist that the Pike be right-sized to align with Commonwealth and City objectives to reduce motor vehicle traffic? No matter how many lanes they build, car-drivers will demand more – so start with fewer and improve the transit connections.
We don't have the public support to even attempt that.

Particularly with the debacle of MBTA deferred maintenance and hence horrible service, we have probably lost two or three decades of positive movement toward more transit orientation in public support. Mayors and Governors only serve if they have public support. You want a more transit oriented future? -- fix the current T first.

6 simultaneous bus berths for only 3 proposed jitney routes?

I'll say it again: those busways--either configuration option--are overdesigned to complete absurdity. That station still needs a lot of conceptual work at both the rail and bus levels.
That bus loop, and their prioritization of private transit over public transit, is ghastly. If you want to hear them explain and defend it -

I'd be happy to accept an 8 lane pike if it allows for the removal of Storrow and Soldiers Field.

Exactly! This project as proposed is so.... lame. A once in a lifetime opportunity to redesign some of Boston's worst infrastructure mistakes and no one at MassDOT is thinking big.

Merge Soldiers Field Rd. into the 8-lane Mass Pike at the throat. Storrow can remain but as a two-lane boulevard fully integrated into the Back Bay/Beacon Hill street grid, with provisions for an eventual Blue Line extension to Kenmore. Instead of spending millions rebuilding the Charlesgate viaduct, tear it down and build a full set of on/off ramps there to facilitate access to Fenway/Longwood/Back Bay from the Pike.

Can someone PLEASE shake Monica Tibbets-Nutt awake before this opportunity slips away?

That bus loop, and their prioritization of private transit over public transit, is ghastly. If you want to hear them explain and defend it -
Why are they waiting on model data, deferring to model data, etc. etc. and then letting that determine the design and how many lanes they are putting in? We should be determining what we want from the project, and then later predicting how that would effect the environment. If you do the model first, then you're saying the only thing in the project worth considering is highway throughput.

Someone 100% need to find out what traffic model they're using and ban it's use at the state level. Because it's totally clouding their thinking about how to approach these projects. How many years left until MassDOT admits they aren't actually planning to cut traffic by half in 10 years?

Why are they waiting on model data, deferring to model data, etc. etc. and then letting that determine the design and how many lanes they are putting in? We should be determining what we want from the project, and then later predicting how that would affect the environment. If you do the model first, then you're saying the only thing in the project worth considering is highway throughput.

Someone 100% need to find out what traffic model they're using and ban it's use at the state level. Because it's totally clouding their thinking about how to approach these projects. How many years left until MassDOT admits they aren't actually planning to cut traffic by half in 10 years?
”What traffic model they’re using” isn’t a secret, it’s the MPO’s. Updated modeling is ongoing.

My personal opinion: In the past, the older model has been used far beyond recommendation to justify a conservative (small c, in the sense of the auto-centric status quo) approach to the design. I believe MassDOT has little desire to be (or especially, to be seen as) a proactive agency in shaping mode shift.

So last time we were talking about this I was motivated enough to relay my concerns to the project team and got this in response, more or less the same weasel words they used in the video. But I appreciate that they responded, as at least someone involved in the project had to read the email and thus I have changed their outlook in some way. If other people want to get a response to specific questions, it seems like the relevant email is: I-90Allston@dot.state.ma.us

For your interest, I've pasted the email below:
It is important to have future traffic forecasts from the CTPS modeling in order for MassDOT to make informed decisions regarding bus lanes and bus lane locations within the project area.

The proposed roadway network is sized to ensure that there aren’t significant back-ups within the system that would spill onto the highway or cause traffic to divert onto local neighborhood street to avoid congestion.

The meeting that you're referring to was a Task Force meeting, which discuss higher-level topics than what is normally discussed at Public Information Meetings. I have attached MassDOT's preferred interchange alternative. Regarding public transit service to the area, you will see that the design includes plans for new transit connections, including West Station, a multimodal transit hub that will greatly expand mobility and transportation choices.

Best,
The I-90 Allston Multimodal Project Team

The proposed roadway network is sized to ensure that there aren’t significant back-ups within the system that would spill onto the highway or cause traffic to divert onto local neighborhood street to avoid congestion.

It's so silly this is a reasonable justification for local road design. Just look at the 6-lane surface road on top of the central artery, which was "sized appropriately to avoid back-ups on the highway". Don't need to worry about the surface road clogging up the highway when the highway itself is clogged up 17 out of 18 daytime hours each day.

MassDot just cannot fathom a world with a modal shift away from cars and roadways wouldn't be saturated at their maximum capacity every second of the day.

Regarding public transit service to the area, you will see that the design includes plans for new transit connections, including West Station, a multimodal transit hub that will greatly expand mobility and transportation choices.
Not with the current plan it won't. The 3 jitney routes on the busway are all private, open only to member-institution (Harvard, MIT, or Longwood Collective) ID-holders. The only public bus is the hazily-defined gerrymander of the 64 off of Cambridge St., which doesn't even use the hugely wasteful busways at the station because it has to keep moving on the grid to have a puncher's chance at making schedule.

On the rail side they've never explained how they plan to implement the Grand Junction-North Station shuttle that they designed the whole extra platform at the station for. Or even if it can be implemented around the Grand Junction's traffic constraints. Mainline Worcester Line service will be plenty good at :15 Urban Rail frequencies, and that'll provide the backbone of this station's public transit utility, but you only need a lone 2-track island like Boston Landing and an express/Amtrak passer to do that...not the whole cost-bloating double-island/3-track setup with duplicate up-and-over access.

Their explanations for the overbuilds...for both modes...don't even begin to add up.

The only public bus is the hazily-defined gerrymander of the 64 off of Cambridge St., which doesn't even use the hugely wasteful busways at the station because it has to keep moving on the grid to have a puncher's chance at making schedule.
Rerouting the 64 away from Cambridge St. is probably going to make the frequencies worse with a longer route and huge detour that's probably just going to massively slow down trips from Allston into Cambridge. Transit works best in a straight line, so IMO it's better to have the 64 run in a straight line from Central Sq. to Allston Union Sq.

Rerouting the 64 to West Station just seems like a hugely illogical and a nonsensical detour.

Rerouting the 64 away from Cambridge St. is probably going to make the frequencies worse with a longer route and huge detour that's probably just going to massively slow down trips from Allston into Cambridge. Transit works best in a straight line, so IMO it's better to have the 64 run in a straight line from Central Sq. to Allston Union Sq.

Rerouting the 64 to West Station just seems like a hugely illogical and a nonsensical detour.
That they didn't even think to attempt that with the much more critically load-bearing T66 is the big red flag that the detour isn't going to work well at all with the 64. It's like they saw the slower, more meandering, less frequent route and jumped at pounding the sunk-cost fallacy into the ground. What are the practical odds that the re-route even makes it to opening day? Then all you've got is the behind-velvet-rope jitneys.

Don't get me wrong: Worcester Line Urban Rail is going to make this a good-ridership station when the area is built out. But, sans an actual good-faith attempt at building the rapid-transited Urban Ring, where's the "multimodal" going to come from?

Regardless of which MBTA bus uses West Station, shouldn't there be at least one actual, functional, high-frequency bus connection from West Station to the extremely dense nearby neighborhoods, even if it's not the 64 or 66?

Most likely, West Station (and Boston Landing) will be the "pseudo rapid transit" line for this region (both north and south of the ROW), as it has much greater capacity than the Green Line and is much faster to downtown. If there's significant development near West Station, it might make sense as a bus terminal, similar to how Seaport seems to be screaming for better bus connections today.

While the particular bus terminal in the plan may have been overbuilt, I think it's not a bad idea in principle to build more bus hubs and busways, especially if you think bus connectivity is crucial for station ridership. There already seems to be a lack of bus terminal infrastructure in various places as it is today, seeing the T47's and T96's awkward terminal loop in Union Sq Somerville.

The question then becomes: Which bus routes and connections make sense to be introduced there?

The question then becomes: Which bus routes and connections make sense to be introduced there?
Not many, because so long as Malvern St. (with its virtually unusable intersection at Packards Corner) is the only spanning street to the south on the grid, you pretty much can't mount anything except a super-inconvenient loop-a-thon off Cambridge St. like the 64. BU cockblocking a Babcock connection absolutely cripples the crosstown connectivity. I'm not even sure how that LMA jitney in their plans is going to function at all given the fact that it has to bang a left at Brighton Ave. from that godawful intersection. And if the Cambridge St. loop-a-thon is so inconvenient and schedule-destroying that it's inappropriate for a frequent and load-bearing route like the T66, you're not going to get much in the way of high-frequency linkage from anywhere. The multimodal connections at this station are almost entirely dependent on a dedicated Urban Ring ROW coming through off the Grand Junction. Yes...fine!...do leave a future provision (not an overbuild, but a future provision) for that. But the hope-and-a-prayer GJ Purple Line dinky extra RR platform isn't that provision, either.

The only other thing that's been talked up in the official discussion to-date is more hope-and-prayers stuff that intercity coach buses will opt to pit-stop just a couple miles out from South Station at West...for reasons. And even that was not mentioned in the most recent meetings, so I think they know what the odds are and have become loathe to overplay it.

It's very hard to see where a busway overbuild will serve them in the future. The grid just...doesn't work...as presently envisioned for fashioning useful bus connections anywhere except for maybe the Harvard and MIT jitneys. You're either detouring and looping to schedule-destroying absurdity or going through street infrastructure not in the slightest set up to handle transit routes. Maybe if Babcock were put back into the plans you'd have a leg to stand on, but that ship seems to have thoroughly sailed. One hand doesn't seem to know what the other is doing with this project, as the overbuilt busways seem to be residue from an earlier era when there were more spanning streets planned to make the grid semi-functional. I'm all for provisioning, but this isn't provisioning smart. They literally can't explain how the buses are supposed to get there. Get there even with the paltry collection of routes they'll actually go on-record saying will use it. That's extremely wasteful planning that is going to further delay this station into oblivion when the already scary-high cost jumps several more times, and we shouldn't let 'fear' of some magic-bullet must-have future bus route that we can't possibly crayon on this grid drive the waste.

The whole works needs a serious reckoning. I want it built as badly as anyone, but not with this excuse for a process.

I would encourage people to continue to press the project team and whatever representatives seem to have responsive offices about this. If only to make the engineers answer questions they’re not comfortable answering. Worth noting that I was polite but firm in my email, I assume they trash longer / more angry emails.

Regardless of which MBTA bus uses West Station, shouldn't there be at least one actual, functional, high-frequency bus connection from West Station to the extremely dense nearby neighborhoods, even if it's not the 64 or 66?

Most likely, West Station (and Boston Landing) will be the "pseudo rapid transit" line for this region (both north and south of the ROW), as it has much greater capacity than the Green Line and is much faster to downtown. If there's significant development near West Station, it might make sense as a bus terminal, similar to how Seaport seems to be screaming for better bus connections today.

While the particular bus terminal in the plan may have been overbuilt, I think it's not a bad idea in principle to build more bus hubs and busways, especially if you think bus connectivity is crucial for station ridership. There already seems to be a lack of bus terminal infrastructure in various places as it is today, seeing the T47's and T96's awkward terminal loop in Union Sq Somerville.

The problem with West Station and Boston Landing is them failing to be built near existing bus routes. This means that any bus route serving Boston Landing or West Station has to make a lenghy detour and go out of the way and double back to serve the station, which makes the bus route plain suck for riders who want to through run to the other side. The 64 has to make a detour west of Union Sq. Allston to get anywhere near Boston Landing, but straightening the route and keeping it on North Beacon St., would improve it's route reliability, frequency, and directness.

Existing bus routes can be found at Market St., Cambridge St., or the BU Bridge, but no stations are being proposed there. (unrelated God mode question - where should the "Oak Sq/West Brighton" station go?)

1712448196339.png

The problem with West Station and Boston Landing is them failing to be built near existing bus routes. This means that any bus route serving Boston Landing or West Station has to make a lenghy detour and go out of the way and double back to serve the station, which makes the bus route plain suck for riders who want to through run to the other side. The 64 has to make a detour west of Union Sq. Allston to get anywhere near Boston Landing, but straightening the route and keeping it on North Beacon St., would improve it's route reliability, frequency, and directness.

Existing bus routes can be found at Market St., Cambridge St., or the BU Bridge, but no stations are being proposed there. (unrelated God mode question - where should the "Oak Sq/West Brighton" station go?)

View attachment 49354
The original B&A Railroad had the station sitings more usefully set for neighborhood travel patterns. Cottage Farm was in the pit by Comm Ave. and Mountfort St. (B, 47, CT2) Allston Depot was at Cambridge St. (66, 64). Brighton Depot was at Market St. (86, 64).

Boston Landing splits the difference between old Allston and old Brighton, and West splits the difference between old Cottage Farm and old Allston. For connecting transit, the tweener-ness of the sitings is really frustrating for making useful connections. Alon Levy wrote a good post about West's many problems, the siting tweener-ness being prime among them.

The 64 has to make a detour west of Union Sq. Allston to get anywhere near Boston Landing, but straightening the route and keeping it on North Beacon St., would improve it's route reliability, frequency, and directness.
For one thing, somewhat amusingly, the 64 already made the detour back in 1998, way before Boston Landing was even proposed: (Source: NETransit history page)
1712458789412.png

The "new supermarket" in the red box was apparently the predecessor of Boston Landing and its developments. Note that the green segment in 2020 did not affect service to Boston Landing, did not add to the detour, and was likely just for convenience.

For another, Boston Landing is more than just a station. Just look at satellite view:
1712459319234.png

On the other hand, I do agree with your and F-Line's subsequent comments that ideally the station sites could have been much better (even though Everett St, which Boston Landing borders, has a much better walkshed than Market St). But at the same time, it also seems that both West Station's and Boston Landing's sites were chosen primarily for TOD. Boston Landing indeed realized the TOD potential in a way that other sites might not have, and West Station's proposed location also seems much better for that purpose than Cambridge St. That these two stations ended up with worse connectivity with existing services may simply show that the factors into station placement are often in conflict, and there are always tradeoffs to be made.

Last edited:
For another, Boston Landing is more than just a station. Just look at satellite view:
View attachment 49363

On the other hand, I do agree with your and F-Line's subsequent comments that ideally the station sites could have been much better (even though Everett St, which Boston Landing borders, has a much better walkshed than Market St). But at the same time, it also seems that both West Station's and Boston Landing's sites were chosen primarily for TOD. Boston Landing indeed realized the TOD potential in a way that other sites might not have, and West Station's proposed location also seems much better for that purpose than Cambridge St. That these two stations ended up with worse connectivity with existing services may simply show that the factors into station placement are often in conflict, and there are always tradeoffs to be made.
Boston Landing's first steps away from an industrial area to a residential area were shaky with mostly limited commercial and office venues and a single large new residential build that's half parking garage, but going east down along the pike there's a bunch of residential apartment buildings nearing their completion. At the same time the stop n shop is moving into the ground floor of one of the new buildings to be torn down into another apartment building. The area is really starting to reach a state of car-free living and more service at Boston Landing along with better bus connections will be essential towards that.

Hopefully we can turn a lot more strip mall style grocery stores around the city into mixed use developments like this. The city target in fenway is another good example to follow imo.

Boston Landing's first steps away from an industrial area to a residential area were shaky with mostly limited commercial and office venues and a single large new residential build that's half parking garage, but going east down along the pike there's a bunch of residential apartment buildings nearing their completion. At the same time the stop n shop is moving into the ground floor of one of the new buildings to be torn down into another apartment building. The area is really starting to reach a state of car-free living and more service at Boston Landing along with better bus connections will be essential towards that.
And if the city can (they won't, but they could) encourage aggressive development all around West Station, something similar could happen here, too. Yes, most of this area is Harvard and BU, but 1) the city could push them to go taller and denser near the station and 2) there is still plenty of neighborhood adjacent to this that will have private development opportunities. The point is that something that seems like a detour now might not seem so with the right amount of development. The more Guest St / Boston Landing develops, the more it seems like a necessary node on any transit routing, even to the point of making older nodes feel like the detours, rather than the new one!

Back