I-90 Interchange Improvement Project & West Station | Allston

Oh yeah, a lot of maps have that. I guess they're still there, underneath the median.

I've seen maps with tracks on Cambridge Street (east of Union Sq), from the really old days.

If you get off on seeing vestiges of streetcar tracks, go up trapelo road before they rip em all out, which they're doing now as part of the improvements. On the lower portions you can still see the lines marking where the tracks have been paved over..

Edit - the tracks are still under the median at least on Brighton ave, I saw them exposed when they were doing roadwork around linden last year.

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but it seems like in all designs, going from Eastbound Pike to Eastbound SFR will require going through multiple traffic lights. Is that a feature?

The A's tracks were outright for-real ripped out of the pavement the entire length of the route. There's pics online of the 1999 removal on Washington St. Nothing vestigial underground. EXCEPT for the power feed. The trunk cable is still active under the street the full length of the route connecting the B line to the 71 TT at Watertown Carhouse. The T's got a state-of-repair line item in the budget to refurbish that cable to bolster the power reliability on Green and the TT's.

So...yes, if there were a new trolley or TT line on portions of the A/57 route it would be as simple as installing new poles, stringing up new wires, and plugging it back into the pre-existing feed. So long as the substations on Green and the TT network were mutually upgraded accordingly. It's why if there's ever a Newton Corner commuter rail station built that a 71 extension down Galen looping at Corner wouldn't cost very much at all. There's a very old line item in the 2003 PMT from Boston MPO that pins capital cost for a 71-to-Corner extension at $1.5M...1/2 mile of wire and 1 additional TT vehicle for the headways. That's cheap enough even +inflation they might actually bite on it should Corner ever see full-blown Indigo rail service.

Roadway Existing Change Total
1. I-90 (MassPike)__ _147,000 ___7,000 154,000
2. Soldiers Field Rd. _ __65,000 ___3,200 __68,200
3. Cambridge Street__ __31,000 ___1,500 __32,500
4. Western Avenue __12,500 ___ 600 __13,100
Note: Volume change reflects estimate of 0.25% annual growth in regional traffic
between 2014 and 2035

Interesting that they're still projecting increases (albeit small) in future traffic.

The EGE said:
Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but it seems like in all designs, going from Eastbound Pike to Eastbound SFR will require going through multiple traffic lights. Is that a feature?
You will pass through 3 signaled intersections to be precise. One straight-thru, one left-turn, and one right-turn. Traffic modeling by DOT consultants indicates "level of service" during AM Peak for these intersections to be C, D and B respectively, meeting the standards easily. 95% queue lengths won't go past halfway between the intersections. They don't think it's going to be a problem, and I'm inclined to agree.

I think it will be a lot easier than the status quo, for better or for worse. No toll booths, no insane intersection to navigate, just some straightforward turns.

The A's tracks were outright for-real ripped out of the pavement the entire length of the route. There's pics online of the 1999 removal on Washington St. Nothing vestigial underground. EXCEPT for the power feed. The trunk cable is still active under the street the full length of the route connecting the B line to the 71 TT at Watertown Carhouse. The T's got a state-of-repair line item in the budget to refurbish that cable to bolster the power reliability on Green and the TT's.

So...yes, if there were a new trolley or TT line on portions of the A/57 route it would be as simple as installing new poles, stringing up new wires, and plugging it back into the pre-existing feed. So long as the substations on Green and the TT network were mutually upgraded accordingly. It's why if there's ever a Newton Corner commuter rail station built that a 71 extension down Galen looping at Corner wouldn't cost very much at all. There's a very old line item in the 2003 PMT from Boston MPO that pins capital cost for a 71-to-Corner extension at $1.5M...1/2 mile of wire and 1 additional TT vehicle for the headways. That's cheap enough even +inflation they might actually bite on it should Corner ever see full-blown Indigo rail service.

THAT'S what it was! My memory deceives me... It was a big metal ducts, but I think it was a pair of them. The construction guy I asked definitely said it was from the A line.

Interesting that they're still projecting increases (albeit small) in future traffic.

This is preliminary (and yes, I did tell them that it was wrong to presume traffic increase when GreenDOT/HTC instructs them not to). The EIR will use CTPS's model, which is still being tuned as far as I know.

It's a fuzzy memory now, but as I recall, BU bid the same amount as Harvard, but lost out for no other apparent reason than "Harvard."
Harvard submitted the only bid.

.....No other universities—including expected bidding rival Boston University (B.U.), which is located adjacent to the property—put in a bid.

B.U. spokesperson Kevin Carleton said that B.U. chose not to put in a bid because of other ongoing projects including $600 million of construction in the pipeline, the renovation of a new law school, three student residence halls, and a computer science building.

“We have identified that there could be future development in the area, but we are not focused on it right now,” Carleton said.

And although Zeckhauser [Harvard] said she heard rumors that B.U. was not bidding, she said that B.U.’s status did “not affect Harvard’s pricing at all.”

The parcel was valued at $100 to $125 million nearly two years ago, but a story in the Boston Globe said that internal Turnpike authority papers estimated that Harvard would need to pay up to $150 million to win the property.

“We thought that people may look to our North Allston Landing price and compare it to this parcel, and wonder,” Zeckhauser said. “But this parcel is much more encumbered, and the economy is of course very different now than when we bought North Allston.”

“We knew all along that we were going to bid on something,” Zeckhauser said.

But Harvard officials said they were not particularly interested in the property as recently as a few weeks ago. Harvard planners previously said they were hesitant to put in a bid for the property because they were concerned about the property’s encumbered nature and a possible bidding war with B.U.
http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2003/4/1/harvard-places-bid-on-91-acre-allston/

If I had to guess, yes. Moving traffic off Storrow and onto the Pike will help traffic through the Back Bay. Keep in mind that the point of rebuilding the interchange is to speed up travel into and out of Boston along the Pike, not so much to have everyone get off in Allston and use Storrow.

I'm so happy that DOT is going with a traffic distribution plan that utilizes a new urban grid. I was confused at first by the suggestion of a parallel road to Cambridge but now I see how it would work and I love it. I think they could have done so much more by connecting this project to Malvern and Babcock Sts, though that would probably be a EIS in it's own right.

Why not? If you improve traffic conditions it only encourages people to drive. Also given the development in the area as well as the potential development that this project opens up it's totally understandable that there would be an increase in traffic.

I think they could have done so much more by connecting this project to Malvern and Babcock Sts, though that would probably be a EIS in it's own right.

We're still trying to seek a way to do this in some fashion but it's an uphill battle both figuratively and literally. Boston University really wants no motorized traffic added to Babcock Street.

Admittedly I can understand where they're coming from, but the result is dumped onto Harvard Ave instead.

What we really need is a Fenway-area eastbound off-ramp.

Was posted two weeks ago. But that does remind me: the MEPA site visit and public hearing is tomorrow, Thursday, November 20th.

The site visit is 3 p.m. meeting at the CSX Beacon Park entrance across from Lincoln Street.

The public hearing is 6 p.m. meeting at the Brighton High School.

While we were on the MEPA site walk, we saw some new coaches on their way to the north side. Shiny.

IMG_20141120_154008.jpg

It's not a flat out no though. He say's he's "willing to have a conversation about it." I read that as, "it's politically unpopular now, so I'm not going to support it openly. But who knows what will happen in the future." In any case, I think it is politically unpopular now. Maybe with a few years worth of advocacy though opinions might change.

It's a tough political position on a topic a lot of politicos don't know a hell of a lot about. Seems pretty prudent to say "no" out of raw political "that sounds unpopular" instinct. At least we got the "conversation" addendum at all.

Back