ICA | 100 Northern Ave | Waterfront

I'm pretty sure ...

The ICA needs to get going on building its permanent collection or I'm afraid people will lose interest in supporting it.

They've survived this long, why do you think they'll fail? A lot of people in the Boston Area, and New England for that matter, don't even know that the ICA exists. This new museum should serve to make them more prominent. They need to create a buzz and to get word out that they're around, and I think this building will do just that. That in of itself would make them successful.

It's a building in search of a market ...

It doesn't have a permanent collection (yet), and its focus on contemporary art limits its audience, to begin with.

I was partially just being a negative nancy.

:O)

If this new building won't make people aware of the ICA, nothing will. If they get a decent collection I'm sure they will be set. I'm just waiting for some reporter to liken this building to the Guggenheim in New York (I say that with the underlying belief that Bostonians always compare their city to New York even when a comparison isn't justified or relateable, though the argument could be made here.)

The new building has certainly caught my attention. I plan to make a visit sometime soon.

Any plans for a Coutrhouse/ICA stop?

Incidently, the station is quite a showpeice, and the museum should add traffic to it.

LeTaureau said:
They've survived this long, why do you think they'll fail? A lot of people in the Boston Area, and New England for that matter, don't even know that the ICA exists. This new museum should serve to make them more prominent. They need to create a buzz and to get word out that they're around, and I think this building will do just that. That in of itself would make them successful.

Yeah - I totally agree. I mean, how many average joes actually know what ICA stands for at the Hynes stop.

vanshnookenraggen said:
I'm just waiting for some reporter to liken this building to the Guggenheim in New York (I say that with the underlying belief that Bostonians always compare their city to New York even when a comparison isn't justified or relateable, though the argument could be made here.)

Though comparison to the (original? real?) Guggenheim is silly for a number of reasons, the ICA's form and nature (think building-as-observatory) is surely derived from Wright's work, along with that of his apprentice, John Lautner...

The both Fallingwater and the Sturgis House (in Brentwood, CA. - John Lautner's last assignment as a Taliesin apprentice) share a bold cantilevered form that turns the domestic space into a kind of "viewing platform"...Wright experimented with this technique during his Usonian period...

The Sturgis house is seen on the cover of this outstanding book by Alan Hess, with terrific photos by Alan Weintraub:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0847827364/ref=nosim/nordellbookst-20

(I don't think I need to post pix of Fallingwater...)

Throughout his career, John Lautner expanded and perfected Wright's ideas of framing or "capturing" the view, frequently abandoning Wright's geometric fussiness for free forms inspired by Oscar Niemeyer and Alvar Aalto.

The Chemosphere, Los Angeles, 1960

Malin3c.jpg

Malintwoc2.jpg

The Arango house, Acapulco, 1973

Arango1.jpg

140722.jpg

Sheats-Goldstein House, Los Angeles, 1963

Sheats2.jpg

In considering Diller + Scoffido's ICA, there is a blending of concepts familiar to fans of the organic, classic modernism, and conceptual work of Rem Koolhaas & OMA (in particular, the ribbon-form that snakes its way through the building's elevation)...

The mechanical corral on the roof looks lousy, but I think the building rocks otherwise...

I can't wait to go see this building Sunday. I just finished watching Greater Boston on WGBH where they had a segment on the new structure and all I can say is the more I see the more I'm impressed. Granted what I've seen was through video, but it genuinely looks to be a thought-provoking building, even if it won't win any beauty pageants.

I plan on going Sunday simply because it's free for the day (9 to 9).. is anyone else planning on going? Shall we attempt to meet up? If you're interested, please speak up..!

Another objection: earlier renderings suggested that the cross-bracing between the trusses was going to be visible through the translucent glass, but it seems to have been whited out.

justin

I plan on going Sunday simply because it's free for the day (9 to 9).. is anyone else planning on going? Shall we attempt to meet up? If you're interested, please speak up..!

I'll be there. It is supposed to be sunny and 50 on Sunday so it should be a decent day.

Re: It's a building in search of a market ...

IMAngry said:
It doesn't have a permanent collection (yet), and its focus on contemporary art limits its audience, to begin with.

I was partially just being a negative nancy.

:O)

Actually, I believe that it does have a permanent collection, but a lot of the exhibits at the museum are installation pieces, so a permanent collection is less important for contemporary art

The two big galleries are each broken up into several smaller rooms by movable partitions, and it was stated in the NECN piece that not all of the smaller spaces were full. Jill Medvedow also commented something to the effect like how exciting it was to imagine what pieces would eventually fill up those empty rooms, so future expansion shouldn't be a problem for a while to come.

'Permanent collection of the Institute of Contemporary Art'...

Am I the only one to smell an oxymoron?

justin

justin said:
'Permanent collection of the Institute of Contemporary Art'...

Am I the only one to smell an oxymoron?

justin

I'm with you on that one.

Do other modern art museums have permanent collections?

Back