I'd rather stay home and watch...

I'm watching Charlie Moore on ESPN right now, he's a complete joke, but its entertaining none the less. The whole Boston thing goes a little over the top but hey I still love it... Can't wait till I'm fishing myself, should be pretty soon they are around..

On the DVD playlist today:
Bourne 3(forget the real name)- best in the series by far
Four Brothers
Boondock Saints
The Departed
Talledega Nights
Belly

Not sure which one to watch yet or how many

"The Magic Christian"
"Beat the Devil"
"The Sun Also Rises"
"Harold and Kumar Visit The White Castle"
"Andy Warhol's Frankenstein (uncut 3-D version)"
"Being There"
"Them"
"Brother From Another Planet"
"The Train"
"Paths of Glory"
"Raise the Red Lantern"
any episode of "Beavis and Butthead".

co-sign beavis and butthead

also "Grandma's Boy"- extremely crass and could be offensive to some but pretty funny. All the characters from Adam Sandler's movies minus him

^Nick Swardson, who stars in Grandma's Boy, is a star in his own right. If you can get a hold if his Comedy Central Presents, you won't be disappointed. He also plays "Terry," the gay prostitute on Reno 911.

here's a youtube link to his bit about Old People so you gen get a sense of what his comedy's like: http://youtube.com/watch?v=JeDR6x8XQ9I

The DVR is really a great thing. You'd think you'd watch more TV but that hasn't been the case with me. You can really find some interesting stuff if you search around. I taped The Night James Brown Saved Boston recently with some great footage of Kevin White in his prime. It really gave a good sense of how close to the abyss this town really was.

Coming up in April Damrell's Fire will be aired again on a GBH cable station. It has some great computer recreations of what the city looked like before the fire. I had it recorded but accidentally deleted it before I got to watch it again.

Betty Blue (3:20 director's cut)
Blue Velvet
Caddy Shack
Donnie Darko
Serpico
Susperia
Taxi Driver
and...Oh yeah -- any cut of Apocalypse Now

Before there was cable we had Starcase. It was a subscription station like HBO but you had to have a little antenna on your house and a de-scrambler box. It seemed like Apocalypse Now was all they played over and over. I probably like the movie more because of the time and the place it represents. It is amazing what little access people had to newer movies back then, when your only options were to see whatever was playing locally in theaters that were disappearing, a stripped down version on the networks or maybe UHF stations like 56 or 38.

Anyway, anyone watch LOST or Battlestar Galactica? Those are two shows that are really good but have totally lost me in twisted plot lines. (he,he...lost me)

Dana Hersey's Movie Loft on Channel 38 was brilliant. They'd air The Deer Hunter or Chinatown or Michelangelo Antonioni's Blowup un-cut, on broadcast television. I miss those racy moments in the midst of the "just say no" era.

And then there was this late-night offering: -- Seems like a premonition of Dave Attel's Insomniac.

Am I wrong to think that Lost is little more than a mash-up of Gilligan's Island and Twin Peaks?

The scene in "Blowup" with the Yardbirds is great. Jeff Beck on lead, Jimmy Page on bass, almost everyone in the club on horse tranquilizer. In the recorded version (to which they are miming), Jimmy and Jeff do duelling leads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlzSHKx8h5U

Last night I watched a documentary called The Greening of Southie about the construction of the McAllen building as a green building.

If you are interested in a behind the scenes look at a construction project then this you may find interesting. It is free On Demand on Comcast cable under the Sundance Channel.

If you can get past the yuppie project manager talking out his ass like he knows a thing about this town and the tired 1974 view of South Boston, you will enjoy it. The Boston College Historian, who is from there, got 15 seconds to say it was a family neighborhood and they then cut to show what a bag of assholes go to the St Patrick's Day Parade. Strangely the guy they gave the most face time, actually lives in Milton.

Park Street Under

I really need to see this. Hopefully there are clips on YouTube. I'll have to check when I get home.

Also, thanks to Wikipedia, I've just learned that Anthony Michael Hall was born in my hometown.
I have no idea how this fact escaped my notice for the past 33 years. I'm immediately going to start a movement to have plaques, banners and signs placed up and down Centre St celebrating this important piece of Boston history.

I've always found is work in Six Pack (with the incomparable Kenny Rogers) truly riveting.

Wow...Kenny Rogers, Diane Lane, Erin Gray and Anthony Michael Hall! That film could field it own Hollywood Squares episode.

Mmmm...Erin Gray

I've always found is work in Six Pack (with the incomparable Kenny Rogers) truly riveting.

LOL!!

btw-I think Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman was on after Park Street Under. The two are inseparably linked in my childhood memory. In some ways it was better when there were only 6 stations, local stations of today have become absolutely soulless with the exception of 'GBH.

Back