Idea for fixing the housing shortage

How I would solve Boston's housing shortage:
- Convert many of the pre-war downtown office buildings to housing
- Permit new housing on every surface parking lot within the City of Boston
- Replace low density public housing with mid-rise walkable mixed use development (mixed income housing + community space + retail)
- Provide whatever financial incentives are needed for developers to deck over the remaining parcels on top of the Mass Pike east of Comm Ave, mandating mixed income housing to be an integral component of whatever is built

Great list but Id definitely add two more. Those would fill in the gaps in the downtown streetwall very good, but to really make a dent in overall metro housing numbers you need to.
-Remove all single family zoning within rt 128.
-Legalize accessory dwelling units.

Accessory dwelling units arent the panacea some think it is, but its a nice addition to the real game-changer which is removing single family zoning. With that gone the real work can begin, and then the adu’s can fill in some of the blanks where youre just never going to get rid of single family houses. At least you can still densify a bit in those places.

Great list but Id definitely add two more. Those would fill in the gaps in the downtown streetwall very good, but to really make a dent in overall metro housing numbers you need to.
-Remove all single family zoning within rt 128.
-Legalize accessory dwelling units.

Accessory dwelling units arent the panacea some think it is, but its a nice addition to the real game-changer which is removing single family zoning. With that gone the real work can begin, and then the adu’s can fill in some of the blanks where youre just never going to get rid of single family houses. At least you can still densify a bit in those places.

Problem is, the people who want SFH - and only SFH - is a very large number. And they will live further and further out if they can't afford closer.

Render of the tower after renovation, I guess theyre adding floors on top too.
Rendering-of-25-Water-Street-in-Manhattan-Courtesy-of-CetraRuddy.jpg

https://newyorkyimby.com/2022/12/de...r-street-in-financial-district-manhattan.html
1300 units in this building suggests a lot of micro units. SROs.

Boston public schools are about 15 percent White. That's a big driver for White families with children moving to the 'burbs. And not just White families.

In a dramatic reshaping of its makeup, Boston Public Schools has lost half its Black student population in the last two decades, as Black enrollment fell from 29,300 in the 2002-2003 school year to 14,600 last year. There is no one reason for this colossal shift; it is part of a larger demographic trend, as the city has become home to fewer children overall, birth rates have declined, and the city’s housing crisis, with out-of-reach prices and limited supply, is driving Black families, like many other families, to move away.

But the outsize loss of Black students also points to something beyond demographics: a fundamental shift in Black families’ capacity and willingness to seek options outside BPS in their quest for the best education for their children. Reforms to Boston’s schools have been piecemeal and maddeningly slow, and, increasingly, parents won’t wait.

And so a system once infamous for the “white flight” of families to the suburbs in the wake of the school integration maelstrom of the 1970s is seeing a new kind of exodus.

The decline in the number of Black students is by far the most striking shift, but other families are also voting with their feet. White and Asian enrollment also fell in this 20-year stretch; white students make up just 15 percent of the school population in BPS. These losses were partially offset by the addition of 4,400 more Latino and multiracial students, but overall enrollment has plunged by more than 13,000 since 2002 — and appears poised to keep falling as long as Black families continue opting out.

In a generation, the demographics of the city’s schools have been transformed.

Per the 421-g regulations this is being converted under, the average unit size needs to be 900 sq. ft. Small, but not SRO small.

The 421-g incentives were referenced above, but it is worth reading up on all the special considerations NYC gave to lower Manhattan office conversions. The value works out to about $92,000 per unit created.

Problem is, the people who want SFH - and only SFH - is a very large number. And they will live further and further out if they can't afford closer.
This is one of the big challenges of our generation: convincing a large swath of society that grew up in a single family home with a yard to make a concession on square footage, privacy, and control of a green space because all of those things are collectively unsustainable (climate, municipal solvency, etc.) when performed by the population en masse.

As one of those people I think the major issue is lack of supply that would allow such a switch. I have been monitoring the Boston real estate market for a few years now and the number of 4-bedroom listings that are not SFHs is essentially zero. I don't need 3,500sf but a condo in a multifamily building that would fit a few kids is super hard to come by.

At least in my peer group I get the sense that there's pent up demand for family-sized urban housing but people default to the suburbs both because it's familiar and because that's all that's available.

As one of those people I think the major issue is lack of supply that would allow such a switch. I have been monitoring the Boston real estate market for a few years now and the number of 4-bedroom listings that are not SFHs is essentially zero. I don't need 3,500sf but a condo in a multifamily building that would fit a few kids is super hard to come by.

It's more the form factor than the number of bedrooms. The amount of people with more than 2 kids can't be that many now. I could see the extra bedroom(s) being used as a guest room or a home office. But I don't think 4 is a deal breaker these days for most people.

Boston could use a lot more Studios and 1 Bedrooms.

It's more the form factor than the number of bedrooms. The amount of people with more than 2 kids can't be that many now. I could see the extra bedroom(s) being used as a guest room or a home office. But I don't think 4 is a deal breaker these days for most people.

Boston could use a lot more Studios and 1 Bedrooms.

Definitely not a deal breaker but it’s the home office angle I was thinking of. Two bedrooms for kids, one master, and a little extra space (office or place for the grandparents). Absolutely agree more small units for new arrivals and young people should be priority but families leave when they’re out of options

Many of the concepts discussed immediately above resonate. I really feel that housing issues in/around Boston when it comes to home buyers who are raising a family are best thought of as a system with all of supply, cultural, psychological, and educational factors, and which will not be solved by addressing only one alone.

1) Supply. As those above have pointed out, it's not just about total units, it's about breakdown of types of units. But, non-intuitively, supporting family housing in urban locations is as much about offering micro- and SRO units as it is about offering larger and better-configured units? - Why? Because in a supply-constrained market, increasing supply of different types of units take pressure off other types of units. I know many young professionals, not yet at the point of starting a family, whose main goal with a housing purchase is to build equity / avoid renting. There are many well-paid young people in/around Boston - they don't need a 1- or 2-bdrm, but with choices so constrained, they stretch themselves more than they ideally would like to (though just within the realm of what they can afford) to purchase what is in fact available. They would have bought an SRO or small studio if they could, but they are far too scarcely available. But every time someone who doesn't ideally want a certain type of housing joins the demand pool for that type of housing, it artificially raises the demand and the the selling prices. This shifts upward price pressure up the chain. Meanwhile, there is a dearth of "family configured" units as @Justbuildit states. But I agree with @jklo that it's not just about bedroom count nor do many people really want/need 4bdrms. People want space for the kids and space for inlaws to stay so they can watch the kids on occasion. This means at least a 2.5 bdrm where an extra room or study can be an office 90% of the time and has a pull-out couch for grandma/grandpa the rest of the time. Only 2 bdrms is too small for many, because that means grandma/grandpa don't get privacy; they are sleeping in the living room - which then means grandma/grandpa visit less and watch the kids less. Party foul. But the kids themselves can bunk if there's more than 1. So 2.5 or 3-bdrms it is (or some architecturally ingenious way of temporarily instating privacy for the grandma/grandpa visit).

2) Cultural. Exactly as has been stated above, people have it engrained that "they way we live" is the way they were brought up. Families fled to the suburbs for many, many years post-WWII due to new cultural forces that came from the very top (i.e., Eisenhower's America). What's going on now is about envisioning replicating one's own childhood for one's children, including how holidays were hosted, how we do recreational stuff as a family, etc. Deeply engrained norms. There would need to be some powerful cultural forces coming from places of substantial influence to undo much of this.

3) Psychological. No fault of anyones, but we humans are hardwired to seek validation. In particular, and subconciously, we savor validation from our parents and immediate family. But it's vicious two-way cycle. Even if we don't view ourselves as egotistical, we can't help but want to show we've "made it." The house in the suburbs with the driveway and backyard is the definition of "I am successful" for so many family-home-buyers at this point in time. Yet it is a two-way cycle because nothing validates things more for a parent than to see their child aspire to be like them and replicate (and ideally improve slightly upon) one's own choices - Boomer-age parents crave reassurance that they made the right choice too by wanting to see that choice replicated. One withholds validation, even if subconsciously and subtly, if one's kid seems to shun one's own pathway. Again this is deep complicated stuff. I remember my own dad lambasting my choice to buy a tiny one-bedroom many years ago ("you're going to have buyer's remorse because that place is way too small. It's a rip off. You get no value for your money in the city"). Yeah, well, it turned out to be an incredible financial investment and I didn't regret the size at all; in fact, I am confident my life (at that point in time) would have been way harder with too much house to take care of.

The school system thing compounds all of above and is vexing. But absolutely needs to be part of the conversation.

Lastly, the cultural and psychological considerations above are obviously generalizations that don't apply to everyone. There are plenty of young couples starting a family who want to stay in the city but can't due to the supply/configuration issues. But all this stuff is mixed together at the population level.

Last edited:
Many of the concepts discussed immediately above resonate. I really feel that housing issues in/around Boston when it comes to home buyers who are raising a family are best thought of as a system with all of supply, cultural, psychological, and educational factors, and which will not be solved by addressing only one alone.

1) Supply. As those above have pointed out, it's not just about total units, it's about breakdown of types of units. But, non-intuitively, supporting family housing in urban locations is as much about offering micro- and SRO units as it is about offering larger and better-configured units? - Why? Because in a supply-constrained market, increasing supply of different types of units take pressure off other types of units. I know many young professionals, not yet at the point of starting a family, whose main goal with a housing purchase is to build equity / avoid renting. There are many well-paid young people in/around Boston - they don't need a 1- or 2-bdrm, but with choices so constrained, they stretch themselves more than they ideally would like to (though just within the realm of what they can afford) to purchase what is in fact available. They would have bought an SRO or small studio if they could, but they are far too scarcely available. But every time someone who doesn't ideally want a certain type of housing joins the demand pool for that type of housing, it artificially raises the demand and the the selling prices. This shifts upward price pressure up the chain. Meanwhile, there is a dearth of "family configured" units as @Justbuildit states. But I agree with @jklo that it's not just about bedroom count nor do many people really want/need 4bdrms. People want space for the kids and space for inlaws to stay so they can watch the kids on occasion. This means at least a 2.5 bdrm where an extra room or study can be an office 90% of the time and has a pull-out couch for grandma/grandpa the rest of the time. Only 2 bdrms is too small for many, because that means grandma/grandpa don't get privacy; they are sleeping in the living room - which then means grandma/grandpa visit less and watch the kids less. Party foul. But the kids themselves can bunk if there's more than 1. So 2.5 or 3-bdrms it is (or some architecturally ingenious way of temporarily instating privacy for the grandma/grandpa visit).

2) Cultural. Exactly as has been stated above, people have it engrained that "they way we live" is the way they were brought up. Families fled to the suburbs for many, many years post-WWII due to new cultural forces that came from the very top (i.e., Eisenhower's America). What's going on now is about envisioning replicating one's own childhood for one's children, including how holidays were hosted, how we do recreational stuff as a family, etc. Deeply engrained norms. There would need to be some powerful cultural forces coming from places of substantial influence to undo much of this.

3) Psychological. No fault of anyones, but we humans are hardwired to seek validation. In particular, and subconciously, we savor validation from our parents and immediate family. But it's vicious two-way cycle. Even if we don't view ourselves as egotistical, we can't help but want to show we've "made it." The house in the suburbs with the driveway and backyard is the definition of "I am successful" for so many family-home-buyers at this point in time. Yet it is a two-way cycle because nothing validates things more for a parent than to see their child aspire to be like them and replicate (and ideally improve slightly upon) one's own choices - Boomer-age parents crave reassurance that they made the right choice too by wanting to see that choice replicated. One withholds validation, even if subconsciously and subtly, if one's kid seems to shun one's own pathway. Again this is deep complicated stuff. I remember my own dad lambasting my choice to buy a tiny one-bedroom many years ago ("you're going to have buyer's remorse because that place is way too small. It's a rip off. You get no value for your money in the city"). Yeah, well, it turned out to be an incredible financial investment and I didn't regret the size at all; in fact, I am confident my life (at that point in time) would have been way harder with too much house to take care of.

The school system thing compounds all of above and is vexing. But absolutely needs to be part of the conversation.

Lastly, the cultural and psychological considerations above are obviously generalizations that don't apply to everyone. There are plenty of young couples starting a family who want to stay in the city but can't due to the supply/configuration issues. But all this stuff is mixed together at the population level.

Very thoughtful post. To which I would add, "You're not being paranoid if, in fact, a vast coalition of forces is conspiring against you." Although suburbanization began as early as the 1880s--Newton residents sure enjoyed the amenity of those HH Richardson-designed stations when they were commuting to Downtown jobs in the Gilded Era--it's worth thinking about how colossal and multifarious the "Big Suburb" lobby was by the time Eisenhower initiated the boom years with the Interstate Hwy Act.

(I think this was pointed out in Kenneth Jackson's magnificent Crabgrass Frontier, but I might be misremembering the source...)

Highways/Interstates:
--highway engineers (from Robert Moses and William Callahan on down to the rank-and-file)
--highway labor unions
--asphalt/cement/gravel/paint suppliers
--heavy-equipment contractors/construction firms
--sign, lightpole, and traffic-signal fabricators

Housing:
--The motivated tract sellers (presumably, east of the Mississippi, small-time farmers gradually getting squeezed by Big Agra; west of the Mississippi--the BLM?) of the vast tracts that became subdivisions
--The speculators (those who bought/upzoned, etc., those tracts, with the sole intention of conveying the *improved* parcels on to actual developers)
--The developers--Del Webb set the template in the Desert Southwest as early as 1948.
--housing material suppliers
--housing construction labor force
--all ancillary industries benefiting from mass suburban housing development (general home tradesmen--plumbers, renovators, etc.; sprinkler manufacturers, turf growers/landscapers, home-security firms, pool makers--builders of in-home bars, even, as privatization of entertainment really took off...)

Roadside Commerce:
--Motels and hotels
--Fast-food joints and casual restaurants
--Miscellaneous entertainment complexes (with Route 1 in Saugus being the great local vintage example)

Automobiles:
--automakers and their workforces
--all of their miscellaneous parts suppliers
--rubber, glass, and steel suppliers
--Big Oil

Arrayed vs. that massive lobby you had, er... Jane Jacobs and Scott Nearing?

At least in my peer group I get the sense that there's pent up demand for family-sized urban housing but people default to the suburbs both because it's familiar and because that's all that's available.
I would argue that single family homes have their place in the overall housing mix. One of the biggest challenges, is getting empty nesters to leave their oversized SFH for a smaller unit. I'm nearing that time, and I love the idea of trading in my house for a 2 bedroom condo a few years from now. But we don't have enough 2 bedroom condos in my neighborhood, and I hate the idea of going from five to two for only a 20% cost reduction. I already have 3 unused bedrooms. When my third kid leaves home, I'll have four. I don't need that to cover office/reading room/guest room type uses. But there is not a strong enough financial incentive to get me out of the current house. And I'm somebody who wants to do that. Consider all the people who might be more reluctant. Without significantly driving down the cost of 2 unit space, a lot of people will opt to remain in oversized residences.

My overall point in this, is that we need lots more apartment construction at every size, but we probably also need to continue to have single family, just need more efficient use of such residences.

I would argue that single family homes have their place in the overall housing mix. One of the biggest challenges, is getting empty nesters to leave their oversized SFH for a smaller unit. I'm nearing that time, and I love the idea of trading in my house for a 2 bedroom condo a few years from now. But we don't have enough 2 bedroom condos in my neighborhood, and I hate the idea of going from five to two for only a 20% cost reduction. I already have 3 unused bedrooms. When my third kid leaves home, I'll have four. I don't need that to cover office/reading room/guest room type uses. But there is not a strong enough financial incentive to get me out of the current house. And I'm somebody who wants to do that. Consider all the people who might be more reluctant. Without significantly driving down the cost of 2 unit space, a lot of people will opt to remain in oversized residences.

My overall point in this, is that we need lots more apartment construction at every size, but we probably also need to continue to have single family, just need more efficient use of such residences.

Thank you for this great example, Henry. It jibes with my observation above about how "supply" cannot just be viewed as a single variable and about how there are complex interconnections between housing stock types. You are illustrating how an an increase in 2-bdrms would in fact free up family-style home stock. While, sure, a $30M penthouse may be, for intents/purposes, in an isolated class of its own, such is an exception. For the most part, all other housing stock, such as 2-bdrms (even upscale ones), are directly connected to the overall housing system including a) family homes, and b) any type of home "one rung out" from the core (e.g., triple-deckers units in former/present working class neighborhoods). People are interested, if the opportunity presents itself, to tailor their housing to the stage of their specific stage of life - but if the opportunity doesn't present itself, they stay put or make due, which has an adverse effect on aspiring buyers who don't own any home yet. We need more of all home types, and everything from SROs to 2-bdrms affects availability of 3-, 4-bdrms.

This is one of the big challenges of our generation: convincing a large swath of society that grew up in a single family home with a yard to make a concession on square footage, privacy, and control of a green space because all of those things are collectively unsustainable (climate, municipal solvency, etc.) when performed by the population en masse.

One issue is noise. People partying, crying kids. New construction isn't going to fix it either. You are going to hear your upstairs neighbor walking around.

One issue is noise. People partying, crying kids. New construction isn't going to fix it either. You are going to hear your upstairs neighbor walking around.
Well built buildings are not noisy inside. I lived in a poured concrete construction high rise in Chinatown, and I NEVER heard my neighbors (or street noise, except if the windows were open).

5 over 1's are noisy as hell, though.

Getting rid of single family zoning doesnt mean single family homes are thus made illegal and they can never be built again. Single family R1 zoning is exclusionary in that it makes it illegal to build any other type of house where it is zoned R1. Getting rid of R1 zoning just means that your now allowed to build other types of housing.. condos, apartments, missing middle stuff like duplexes triplexes, multi purpose with retail/commercial…etc. It also means youre allowed to build single family houses, just not ONLY single family houses. Its important to note that getting rid of single family zoning doesnt mean getting rid of single family homes, it just means getting rid of ONLY single family homes being allowed to be built and allowing many more use types to be built.

I suspect though I could be mistaken, that in our painfully supply constrained market, multi family is always more profitable to build than single family. Three units of 1000 square feet each costs marginally more to build than one SFH of 3000 square feet, but sells for far more. I suspect you would see a ton of condo conversions of huge old properties into multi-units. There are countless examples in Cambridge and many neighborhoods of Boston.

Getting rid of single family zoning doesnt mean single family homes are thus made illegal and they can never be built again. Single family R1 zoning is exclusionary in that it makes it illegal to build any other type of house where it is zoned R1. Getting rid of R1 zoning just means that your now allowed to build other types of housing.. condos, apartments, missing middle stuff like duplexes triplexes, multi purpose with retail/commercial…etc. It also means youre allowed to build single family houses, just not ONLY single family houses. Its important to note that getting rid of single family zoning doesnt mean getting rid of single family homes, it just means getting rid of ONLY single family homes being allowed to be built and allowing many more use types to be built.
I can envision heads literally exploding in the provincial enclaves of Belmont and Winchester, and other similar towns, if R1 zoning is opened up to other than single family homes. I mean, oh, the horror. Extreme pearl clutching alert.

Preaching to the choir, but my statement regards the view held among some housing activists that SFH should be eliminated/never built. Other form factors also need to be legal as of right, I would never argue otherwise.

Back