Improved 3/128 Interchange

Kahta

Reaction score
http://goo.gl/maps/KZB7h

This interchange needs substantial improvements-- particularly because of the close proximity between exit 32A and 32B.

I'm not really sure about what to do with Exit 33. Any ideas?

Why does it need improvement? It works fine as it is. The close spacing doesn't matter because the exits and entrances are on a side service road, not the main highway.

Like the 128/95 interchange in Canton, this interchange was designed as a cloverleaf to accommodate an extension into the city. The changes Kahta suggests would make it safer, more efficient, and result in improved traffic flow and reduced congestion and pollution in the area.

Wheeler Road and Blanchard Road are narrow, curvy, two-lane roads. Dumping the Route 3 traffic onto them, instead of onto 128, doesn't strike me as a good idea.

Wheeler Road and Blanchard Road are narrow, curvy, two-lane roads. Dumping the Route 3 traffic onto them, instead of onto 128, doesn't strike me as a good idea.

Most of the traffic would be going onto 128.

The exit/onramp you're referencing would primarily connect Route 3 to the Middlesex Turnpike and allow traffic between those two roads to connect without entering Route 128. I doubt much traffic would continue straight onto Wheeler/Blanchard - most would take a right or left.

From a traffic engineering standpoint it is far safer and more efficient for local traffic not to have to use Route 128 if it is coming from or going to Route 3.

Exit 33 should be a normal, low-profile diamond interchange, like the new interchanges at High St and at Poplar St on 128 in Danvers. Though perhaps a good place to meddle in the field of SPUIs.

Also, I feel like improving the 128/3 interchange will just put further strain on the 128/95 interchange.

Why does it need improvement? It works fine as it is. The close spacing doesn't matter because the exits and entrances are on a side service road, not the main highway.

As a result of this interchange, Route 3 south in the morning is usually backed up from the interchange up to 495.

Also, I feel like improving the 128/3 interchange will just put further strain on the 128/95 interchange.

Obviously it will, but as it is designed right now, southbound PM rush hour traffic can be tied up as late as 730 because of the terrible merge at the end of the C/D.

The PM exit to 3N is similarly bad because of the weaving on the C/D caused by traffic entering from 32B. There's also a lack of a proper acceleration lane for this traffic and it doesn't have a dedicated lane, Route 3 at this point is already 3 lanes wide for the traffic that just came from 128N.

The monstrous disasters at 90/128, 93/128 Reading, 93/128 Canton and 3/93 Braintree need to be tackled with major overhauls before the likes of 3/128 or 24/93 get revamps.

The monstrous disasters at 90/128, 93/128 Reading, 93/128 Canton and 3/93 Braintree need to be tackled with major overhauls before the likes of 3/128 or 24/93 get revamps.

Reading: http://www.9395info.com/
Canton: http://www.mhd.state.ma.us/cantoninterchange/

The Braintree split has a pretty modern design already, and the redesign of the on- and off-ramps in the area of Crown Colony is a big improvement. What the area really needs when it comes down to it is a Route 3 (South) expansion.

The Pike/128 interchange can only be really fixed if those barrier tolls are eliminated. That would free up plenty of state-owned land to create a modern interchange without eminent domain takings.

Too bad the plans like to do 128/93 and etc is flagged for 2026 at the earliest. Good lucking seeing improvement to 3/128 within 30 years.

^ Exactly my point. Just because there's a website doesn't mean it's an immediate priority.

Back