Industrial Boston

I like the graphic, but I wouldn't say there's much that "industrial" about City Hall, including the laws and policies enacted within it.

This picture is a good representation of industrial art because it shows a dehumanized structure that is alienated from nature. You guys have to look beyond the "industrial revolution" and man-made factories.

It fails because you are asking people to think too much.

It also fails because you just used a crappy Photoshop filter and thought it was interesting.

This picture is a good representation of industrial art because it shows a dehumanized structure that is alienated from nature. You guys have to look beyond the "industrial revolution" and man-made factories.

Something doesn't have to be dehumanized to be industrial. Nor is something either dehumanizing or alienated from nature inherently industrial. I would try a different word.

"Industrial Boston" is an excellent idea for a thread, but City Hall doesn't belong in it.

City Hall could actually look "industrial" if it were located in an industrial area surrounded by rusting wharehouses, mills and railroad yards. So, the city should sell it to, say, Everett, and have it reassembled somewhere between Route 16 and Chelsea north of the Mystic River. That bleak environment would do it justice.

Then Boston could replace the current City Hall site with an urban neighborhood of small blocks and high density.

Armpits,

I know why you hold this place so dear. You're one of the emo government center scateboard teenagers, right?

By the way, I'm not a photoshop snob, so I don't know if that picture is modified with a "crappy filter" or not. I really like it in any case.

"Industrial Boston" is an excellent idea for a thread, but City Hall doesn't belong in it.

I second that. I saw the title and was excited to see some cool shots of industrial buildings, only to be disappointed (as always) by city hall.

Gillette World Shaving Headquarters should be #1 on such a thread, as it's by far the largest active factory in the city.

It fails because you are asking people to think too much.

I know you hate thinking, but I'm only trying to teach you that industrial can refer to many things.

I'm not a photoshop snob

Yeah I agree with you, Van is being a snob in this thread.

I second that. I saw the title and was excited to see some cool shots of industrial buildings, only to be disappointed (as always) by city hall.

Once again, industrial means more than vacant and rusting warehouses. City Hall is industrial because it looks like a machine designed it and it also disrupts the visual perception of the area.

Last edited:
IndustrialWarehouses.jpg

Call me a snob (which I am) but this is waaaaaaaay better.

^Summer at A Street in the Fort Point area? Great shot. I love that area.

The North Station photos are mostly of an elevated structure that was demolished in 2004-05.

That will not be an issue on the Green Line (Boylston station).

Back