Infill and Small Developments | Portland

Another poor design from a Maine Architecture firm. I totally get the Materials are too high bit, but there comes a point where you need to be compliant with the neighborhood. Are they trying to pay homage to a soviet era building? It just needs to be broken out with French doors with the faux balcony. Th know the former building was the "Bunker" but you don't need to replicate it..

When it comes to affordable housing, margins are often razor thin....Architectural embellishment is expensive and it sounds hyperbolic but sometimes small design details can be a determining factor of what makes a project financially viable or not.

I'd much rather have 26 affordable units in the middle of an on-peninsula neighborhood even if it isn't an architectural gem.

Last edited:
When it comes to affordable housing, margins are often razor thin....Architectural embellishment is expensive and it sounds hyperbolic but sometimes small design details can be a determining factor of what makes a project financially viable or not.

I'd much rather have 26 affordable units in the middle of an on-peninsula neighborhood even if it isn't an architectural gem.
Is someone having a sale on white paint?

IMG_5369.jpeg

PHDC is proposing to demolish these four buildings and build a new 50-unit - I think there is a recent Press Herald article about rampant mold issues in them, so this is definitely a good thing.

jkahsdifalskdfhasdf.jpg

Last edited:
PHDC is proposing to demolish these four buildings and build a new 50-unit - I think there is a recent Press Herald article about rampant mold issues in them, so this is definitely a good thing.

View attachment 48397
Seems like a big lot. Why just 50 units? So close to downtown and on a major arterial that could see a lot of height and improvement. I think that’s really underdeveloping, if you will, that large plot.

Seems like a big lot. Why just 50 units? So close to downtown and on a major arterial that could see a lot of height and improvement. I think that’s really underdeveloping, if you will, that large plot.
The 50 units is just the first phase. The intention is to build another 5-6 story, 50ish unit building at the intersection of Boyd and Cumberland and then 20ish units of townhomes along Mayo St.

Back