ISQ3 | 22 Drydock Avenue | Seaport

This appears to cover Parcels H & G. Hopefully, unlike Innovation Square, it is mandated that the above ground power lines get buried.

1630685920049.png

BPDA has selected Related Beal.

For reference:

I'm more than fine with old industrial areas converting to lab space. Bring it on!

I am NOT ok with labs going up in Kenmore Square or along the Rose Kennedy Greenway. Where the hell is the idea of urban context with the BPDA? How the hell did they greenlight Whoop and the lab across from the new State Street HQ? This municipal planning cluelessness is a fumble of historic dimension. Boston has plenty of locations to drop down labs.

I'm more than fine with old industrial areas converting to lab space. Bring it on!

I am NOT ok with labs going up in Kenmore Square or along the Rose Kennedy Greenway. Where the hell is the idea of urban context with the BPDA? How the hell did they greenlight Whoop and the lab across from the new State Street HQ? This municipal planning cluelessness is a fumble of historic dimension. Boston has plenty of locations to drop down labs.

If labs are the only office people will actually inhabit going forward, then their presence is necessary if Kenmore and Downtown aren't going to be bedroom communities.

If labs are the only office people will actually inhabit going forward, then their presence is necessary if Kenmore and Downtown aren't going to be bedroom communities.

You write as if Boston has no depth of options - - as if it was one of those Amazon HQ2 contestant cities a few years ago who made spectacles of themselves and would have given Bezos every citizen's first born.

No. It's not "Either Or". For Boston, it's "We can chew gum and walk at the same time".

Labs are not the ONLY thing in demand. Something called HOUSING?

Boston/Cambridge/Somerville should be building tall residential skyscrapers in core areas (unheard of??? it's already happening - - see the D.1.0 res tower going up in Union Square or the about-to-be "tallest building in Cambridge". Labs are fine for Alewife, parts of Allston/Brighton, parts of Watertown, Suffolk Downs, Seaport Marine Terminal, etc.

So when you present the picture of : "If labs are the only office people will actually inhabit going forward, then their presence is necessary if Kenmore and Downtown aren't going to be bedroom communities." The first 12 words are already arguable. Because

1) workers are ALREADY returning (50-65%) to offices
and
2) Boston doesn't NEED offices to survive - - those buildings -and many more - can be residential......there is a demographic tsunami of Baby Boomers living longer/more active retirements and they want to be downtown and they want more restaurants/theatres/music venues/museums etc. Boston will become a 24/7 city that is FAR MORE vibrant and dynamic than a 9-5 commuter center.

Understand what a lab is in the urban sense. They destroy urban dynamism. I LOVE labs, hope more are built in Boston/Cambridge/Somerville, etc. and feel they are important IN THE PROPER urban planning locations....... "NOT FOR THE FREEDOM TRAIL."

Panicking and throwing in with building an inner core Ghost Town of labs is frankly a pants pissing act a Peoria or Allentown would have to resort to.

Last edited:
You write as if Boston has no depth of options - - as if it was one of those Amazon HQ2 contestant cities a few years ago who made spectacles of themselves and would have given Bezos every citizen's first born.

No. It's not "Either Or". For Boston, it's "We can chew gum and walk at the same time".

Labs are not the ONLY thing in demand. Something called HOUSING?

Boston/Cambridge/Somerville should be building tall residential skyscrapers in core areas (unheard of??? it's already happening - - see the D.1.0 res tower going up in Union Square or the about-to-be "tallest building in Cambridge". Labs are fine for Alewife, parts of Allston/Brighton, parts of Watertown, Suffolk Downs, Seaport Marine Terminal, etc.

So when you present the picture of : "If labs are the only office people will actually inhabit going forward, then their presence is necessary if Kenmore and Downtown aren't going to be bedroom communities." The first 12 words are already arguable. Because

1) workers are ALREADY returning (50-65%) to offices
and
2) Boston doesn't NEED offices to survive - - those buildings -and many more - can be residential......there is a demographic tsunami of Baby Boomers living longer/more active retirements and they want to be downtown and they want more restaurants/theatres/music venues/museums etc. Boston will become a 24/7 city that is FAR MORE vibrant and dynamic than a 9-5 commuter center.

Understand what a lab is in the urban sense. They destroy urban dynamism. I LOVE labs, hope more are built in Boston/Cambridge/Somerville, etc. and feel they are important IN THE PROPER urban planning locations....... "NOT FOR THE FREEDOM TRAIL."

Panicking and throwing in with building an inner core Ghost Town of labs is frankly a pants pissing act a Peoria or Allentown would have to resort to.

Shmessy, I hear you, but I see things slightly differently. Yes: to the right building on the right parcel. Yes: to much more housing woven in to the existing urban fabric.

But here's my additional perspective. The thing that's better than simply more housing in the city is: more housing integral to live/work/play community development. Labs are staffed by people. Where are those people going to live?--how cool would it be if they lived nearby? Right now, the lab-centric areas of the metro have a reputation of being "dead after 5pm and on weekends." I would like to see labs, housing, recreation/entertainment co-existing. What's vexing about that is that lab buildings have been atrocious - I agree 100% on that observation. But the interesting question to me is: do they have to be? Why can't Boston be the petri dish for experiments on whether lab facilities really can be integrated into the urban fabric? We do have a couple of examples of lab facilities well integrated, IMO. One is specifically Ames St. in Kendall, where the massive Broad Institute expansion is aesthetically decent and with a really nice ground level. That short 1-block stretch of street has a large residential building directly across from it, a florist shop, a bank, three coffee shops, and three restaurants. It's decent urbanism. One can argue that portions of the Longwood Medical area (which is actually filled with research labs, including metro Boston's tallest lab) has pockets of decent urbanism.

The way I'd reframe the problem is that we're seeing a glut of lazy lab designs with little attempt at lab-urbanism. We need to demand that change if labs are going to be part of city core of Boston. But I am open to (and intrigued about) the possibility. It could truly become a model, if done right. But the risk tied to failure is especially great as well.

Last edited:
Shmessy, I hear you, but I see things slightly differently. Yes: to the right building on the right parcel. Yes: to much more housing woven in to the existing urban fabric.

But here's my additional perspective. The thing that's better than simply more housing in the city is: more housing integral to live/work/play community development. Labs are staffed by people. Where are those people going to live?--how cool would it be if they lived nearby? Right now, the lab-centric areas of the metro have a reputation of being "dead after 5pm and on weekends." I would like to see labs, housing, recreation/entertainment co-existing. What's vexing about that is that lab buildings have been atrocious - I agree 100% on that observation. But the interesting question to me is: do they have to be? Why can't Boston be the petri dish for experiments on whether lab facilities really can be integrated into the urban fabric? We do have a couple of examples of lab facilities well integrated, IMO. One is specifically Ames St. in Kendall, where the massive Broad Institute expansion is aesthetically decent and with a really nice ground level. That short 1-block stretch of street has a large residential building directly across from it, a florist shop, a bank, three coffee shops, and three restaurants. It's decent urbanism. One can argue that portions of the Longwood Medical area (which is actually filled with research labs, including metro Boston's tallest lab) has pockets of decent urbanism.

The way I'd reframe the problem is that we're seeing a glut of lazy lab designs with little attempt at lab-urbanism. We need to demand that change if labs are going to be part of city core of Boston. But I am open to (and intrigued about) the possibility. It could truly become a model, if done right. But the risk tied to failure is especially great as well.

I think that's a wonderful vision, BP7, but the reality is difficult for that.

Labs tend to aggregate near other labs for a reason. Biotech/pharma want their scientists (for good reason) to bump into each other and comingle. Labs very rarely tend to be "one offs" for very long. This is why when a lab pioneers in Kenmore or somewhere along the Freedom Trail, it is an ominous portending for the future.

I certainly hope the model changes more in the direction of which you speak. If integrated into a residential/dynamic area, I would hope that the ratio of lab to dynamic urban 24/7 development is heavier on the latter. So far, all too often, it is heavier towards the former - - and that kills the dynamism of an area.

Mods, merge threads?

Mods, merge threads?

wow my mistake, i completely missed it even though i commented in it previously. mods, please delete this thread

Vertex leases 22 Drydock Ave.

....Employees will gather on Tuesday to celebrate the opening of a four-story, 267,000-square-foot facility at 6 Tide St. in the Ray Flynn industrial park, about a mile from the corporate headquarters on Fan Pier. But that’s just the start: Vertex is also announcing plans to occupy almost all of a seven-floor, 344,000-square-foot building to be built across the street, at 22 Drydock Ave. The entire complex will be named the Jeffrey Leiden Center for Cell and Genetic Therapies, with two buildings known internally simply as “Leiden 1″ and “Leiden 2.” The campus is being developed by Related Beal and Kavanagh Advisory Group.

Nearly 400 people work in the first building. Another 500 will work in the second, once it is fully occupied. Leiden said about 700 of these jobs would be new to Boston. Vertex currently employs about 2,600 people at Fan Pier, as well as 90 at an existing plant in the industrial park, and 75 in Cambridge.

I feel like that design got very far along before someone remembered they needed to put a huge Alucobond frame around the windows to give it that stale colossal order touch.

With so little retail and the way it is oriented, these plazas are going to be empty or utilized exclusively by people working in the building. I hope there is some pushback to demand something better than “underutilized outdoor corporate lunchroom”. This is pretty disappointing.

Back