Italian Car Day

tobyjug

Reaction score
Car fans and photographers: Italian Car Day at Museum of Transportation at Larz Anderson Park in Brookline, Sunday, August 3rd, 10 am to 3 pm. (www.larzanderson.org) Good spot to picnic, and dynamite view of the city from the summit of the hill. The old Ferraris, Alfas, Fiats, Lancias are real nice too.

Thanks! See you there. I'll be the guy with the red car.

For some folks, Italian cars are synonymous with mid-engine supercars:

001.jpg

Lamborghini Countach LP500S. Even more emblematic of Italian mid-engined supercardom than Ferrari, Lamborghini is run by a gent named Winkelmann. This is because Lamborghini is now a branch of Volkswagen. 2042 Countachs were produced between 1974 and 1992.

The mid-engine formula has, however, been kicking around in Italy for decades:

002.jpg

68 Alfa Romeo.

A 2006 Alfa built for the same market, but with engine relocated:

003.jpg

Not much has changed in the styling department.

The legendary Ferrari Enzo, dethroned perhaps as the King of Supercars by the now-German Bugatti, but an honorable has-been:

004.bmp

400 Ferrari Enzos were produced in 2003-2004. Pininfarina was the designer.

005.bmp

Pagani Zonda exceeds 200mph for its 25-or-so annual customers.

Other folks think of automotive Italy as the home of terminally-cute minicars:

006.jpg

1957 Autobianchi, a Fiat 500 variant.

The most micro of minivans, a Fiat Multipla packed three rows of seating into 139 inches of length ?17 inches shorter than a current Mini with its two rows:

007.jpg

Built between 1956 and 1965, the Multipla (a 1964 in photo) could rocket to 57mph with its 21hp engine ?hardly a supercar, but much-loved by Italy?s largish families of the time. Since then, the country?s birth rate has plummeted.

Current king of cute is the new, retro-styled Fiat 500, here shown in Abarth?s high performance version:

008.jpg

For ages, Abarth has issued pocket rockets on tiny Fiat platforms:

009.jpg

1958 Fiat Abarth 750 Record Monza, body by Zagato.

Yet others associate Italian car production with designer flights of fancy. Going out on a limb is always risky; even the great Pininfarina occasionally fell out of the tree:

010.bmp

56 Ferrari 410 Superfast.

The best of these stylistic extravagances was the series of one-off BATs that Bertone produced as styling exercises in 1954 and 1955:

011.jpg

012.bmp

1954 BAT 7.

013.bmp

1955 BAT 9.

014.bmp

BAT 9.

Though veering towards bankruptcy, Bertone unveiled BAT 11 this year in Geneva:

015.jpg

Just as in architecture, all the old guys are doing retro futurism.

But truth is, the all-time pinnacle of Italian car styling was achieved in the mid-Fifties, when coachbuilders unleashed a tsunami of automotive beauty that surpassed the works of even the Figonis and Saoutchiks of Thirties France. Cars with astonishing purity of form and line sprang from drawing boards and artisans? hammers. The results were classic in every sense --pur sang:

016.bmp

1952 Siata Barchetta by Bertone.

Frua was especially known for delicately detailed Maseratis of ravishing beauty. Two A6G Spyders by Frua; cars like this regularly sell at auction for over $300k:

017.jpg

018.jpg

The Versace of his time, Zagato grafted his mannered detailing and his voluptuous lines onto Ferrari and Maserati alike:

019.bmp

56 Ferrari 250GT sports Zagato?s trademark bubble-top and fussy but appetizing headlight treatment. This may be the most gorgeous Ferrari I?ve seen. Wonder what it would bring at auction --surely over a million.

020.bmp

56 Maserati A6G 2000 Zagato.

Pininfarina sometimes veered to angularity?

021.jpg

57 Ferrari Superamerica.

?unlike his colleague Vignale, who favored billowing curves:

022.jpg

56 Ferrari.

But perhaps Farina?s greatest achievement was the Lancia Aurelia, its near-perfect lines at once racy and reserved:

023.jpg

53 Lancia Aurelia. Was ever a classic radiator so deftly blended into speedy modern form?

In these years, even mass-market cars scaled the highest peaks of styling elegance. Bertone?s various iterations of the Alfa Giulietta Coupe may show the best proportions ever to grace a small car; and because a fair number were sold on these shores, there?s bound to be a couple at the Larz Anderson show (and because they?re not so valuable, they?ll probably show some wear like this one:

024.jpg

1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta.

Earlier Alfas were no slouches either:

025.bmp

49 Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 SS Villa d'Este.

026.jpg

1938, the Mussolini era. Il Duce was an enthusiast of architecture and cars; he encouraged stylish tendencies in both.

A brawny, wind-in-your-hair roadster from the same year and marque, Italy?s greatest (not Ferrari):

027.jpg

1938 Alfa Romeo 8C-2900 Roadster by Touring.

And from the beginning of Zagato?s career, that stylist?s most revered design ?and Alfa?s greatest ever:

028.bmp

1931 AlfaRomeo 6C 1750 Gran Sport Touring Flying Star.

Competing with Hispano Suiza and Duesenberg for the business of Hollywood stars, Isotta-Fraschini cut a dashing figure (Rudolph Valentino owned one):

029.bmp

1930 Isotta-Fraschini by Castagna.

A veteran Lancia Alfa testifies to the long and distinguished history of car-making in Italy:

030.jpg

Sunday, August 3: there?s no place on the planet I?d rather be --if I could-- than the Larz Anderson Museum for this show.

Last edited:
Car fans and photographers: Italian Car Day at Museum of Transportation at Larz Anderson Park in Brookline, Sunday, August 3rd, 10 am to 3 pm. (www.larzanderson.org) Good spot to picnic, and dynamite view of the city from the summit of the hill. The old Ferraris, Alfas, Fiats, Lancias are real nice too.
So, Toby, you gonna be there today?

Bring back some pix.

It was well attended. I will post photos.

P.S. Your commentary is top notch!

Toby likes cars. He burned six gallons of avgas to get to Italian Car Day!

L1070469-2.jpg

They hold it at a castle!

L1090400.jpg

What a crowd!

L1090465.jpg

Hey Mr. 250 GTE, watch out for the quadruped!

L1090446.jpg

Things are a bit mad.

L1090476.jpg

Busy inside the castle too.

L1090513.jpg

This must be that Jonas Brothers Band that Lrfox was talking about.

L1090422.jpg

Hey, what are all those guys are in leather pants doing? Must be a cowboy convention or a rodeo!

L1090424.jpg

L1090403.jpg

Someone said that Vespa had "a little Brio". This must be one of them.

L1090434.jpg

Toby likes these old Ferrari 330's. It reminds him of when he was a pup.

L1090452.jpg

Hey, what's that American car doing here? Well, I guess the Cunningham did have its body built by Vignale.

L1090418.jpg

That OSCA looks more like Oskar!

L1090467.jpg

The Ferrari 250 is always a crowd pleaser.

L1090416.jpg

This 48 Maserati looks like fun.

L1090388.jpg

Before 1952, Alfa Romeo held the same market niche that Ferrari holds today.

L1090454.jpg

This 1950 Alfa 6C 2500, body by Carrozzeria Touring, was much more grand than any Ferrari offering of the time.

L1090412.jpg

Toby is dog tired after all this. Glad I packed a beach chair.

L1090491.jpg

I can take it all in without even moving.

L1090488.jpg

The judges ponder how to score this 65 Alfa Giulia SS.

L1090496.jpg

"Mr. Mexico" ponders how he could score a Lamborghini Miura.

L1090405.jpg

Go next year!

Last edited:
^ Excellent! Shame I had to toil on the ol' homestead this weekend.

Looks like a terrific show, Toby; thanks for the pics. If in Boston, I'd have attended.

Not just the Cunningham had a mongrel pedigree; Vespas were actually built in France. A common sight in Boston lo these many years, these sold briskly and cheaply --like the much later Yugo-- and they were clearly inspired by the Autobianchi.

i was there wearing a blue shirt with "Follett" on the front. Any chance you saw me?

My favorite car was an all black Lambo Gallardo Superleggera with gunmental rims. While i appreciate the old designs, I am just a total sucker for the newer ones.

Any pics of Ms. Ducati? :):)

I'm upset I decided not to go. It looks like it was fantastic. And the Jonas Brothers were there to top it all off?! I'm kicking myself in the behind for not making it out there.

That Alfa 6C... I mean dang, I just drooled all over myself.

^ The black one, the white one, or the red one?

i was there wearing a blue shirt with "Follett" on the front. Any chance you saw me?

My favorite car was an all black Lambo Gallardo Superleggera with gunmental rims. While i appreciate the old designs, I am just a total sucker for the newer ones.

Any pics of Ms. Ducati? :):)

Sorry I missed you! I was parked right across from the museum front door. I did my lap of the grounds, snapped a few shots, kind of fell asleep behind my car! A few of us bring a picnic with refreshments. I put "TOBY" on the car and packed an extra bottle just in case of archboston visitors!

Of the newer stuff, I liked the lime green Gallardo. Real cool stitching on the interior too.

Back