Jackson Square Infill and Small Developments

They are planning for a bike path here. There are a few different landowners and developers, so it's not as easy as it sounds. Until it is possible to construct it, they've arranged for a mixed use path.

My understanding was that they had originally planned for a path as part of the development that recently finished, but they ended up finding it wasn’t “feasible” and made a bigger parking lot instead.

My understanding was that they had originally planned for a path as part of the development that recently finished, but they ended up finding it wasn’t “feasible” and made a bigger parking lot instead.

These sites have always been challenged by the parking requirements, the desire for park space, and the complexity of using public funds for the affordable units. They seem to be doing a good job in balancing these elements and actually building something!

It still has a multi-use path along the train track fence, but it doesn't really go anywhere yet so it's a work in progress.

I think the height is about right for the neighborhood. Maybe another story would have been good. 350 units is huge for a less dense neighborhood like JP.

They call it a "green community" yet they are adding three new roads. The very last thing Boston needs is more roads. Especially for a development that is two blocks from a T station.

I think the height is about right for the neighborhood. Maybe another story would have been good. 350 units is huge for a less dense neighborhood like JP.

They call it a "green community" yet they are adding three new roads. The very last thing Boston needs is more roads. Especially for a development that is two blocks from a T station.

BPDA is trying to restore some lost street grid in some of the mega parcel projects (to break up the massive projects).

I am not sure if car streets are the right approach, but they did that in the Ink Block in the South End as well.

There’s a lot of construction on Centre St across from Jackson. Looks like an extension maybe of the recent project on Amory St, but I don’t remember hearing about anything definite here. Anyone know?

Utility work to prep the site for Jackson Square Phase 3's affordable housing units at 25 Amory. It's been fascinating to watch from my window. 👀

I've been meaning to share construction update photos here, but I've just gotten so accustomed to seeing it every day...

Well, it looks like Urban Edge has finally abandoned the plans for the recreation center. Too bad, since this was one of the early promises of the redevelopment project to "knit together" the neighborhoods of Roxbury & JP:

"...the team behind the project recently determined that the funds needed to sustain the center—a projected $50 million—would be unachievable. The Boston Globe reports that the group had raised some $17 million of the estimated budget."

From Boston Magazine: https://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/2019/08/15/td-garden-teens-rec-center-jackson-square/

Well, it looks like Urban Edge has finally abandoned the plans for the recreation center. Too bad, since this was one of the early promises of the redevelopment project to "knit together" the neighborhoods of Roxbury & JP:

"...the team behind the project recently determined that the funds needed to sustain the center—a projected $50 million—would be unachievable. The Boston Globe reports that the group had raised some $17 million of the estimated budget."

From Boston Magazine: https://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/2019/08/15/td-garden-teens-rec-center-jackson-square/

That's really unfortunate. Based on the comments section for the Globe's article about how the City can spend $28M to upgrade/redevelop Boston Common, I wonder if the Jackson Square rec center site would be a better use of the funds. Unfortunately, a quick read of the law makes it appear Community Preservation Act (CPA) funds cannot be used for this project. :(

Major bummer. A rec center would definitely psychologically bridge the divide more than housing would. That corner is otherwise too isolated to bring in foot traffic for anything else like commercial units, so I guess it'll just be housing which is OK, but won't activate the area much.

B576D4C5-73D2-4D05-A9B3-D14B40431CB6.jpeg

3F3E2369-1DE6-4FDC-BAB4-F9366CF680D4.jpeg

I've been enjoying watching this go up from the perspective of the bike path. It really frames the Orange Line station and SW corridor facilities nicely, and makes the entire block seem a much more fully realized urbanity.

I've been enjoying watching this go up from the perspective of the bike path. It really frames the Orange Line station and SW corridor facilities nicely, and makes the entire block seem a much more fully realized urbanity.
Yeah this has been a major improvement to the long gap in the street wall on Centre... air rights over the T would be amazing. Even something very small scale, could be like a flea market or small stalls for temporary shops.

Back