Jane Jacobs' Neighborhood

Anecdotal evidence is stuff people have seen with their own eyes. When we want the truth in a criminal court, we solicit people's anecdotal evidence. Statistics: you know what Wellington had to say about those...

Of course there's room for anecdotal evidence; too much of this debate however has been supported by anecdotal evidence and that is not appropriate...Knowledge of the crisis in the housing market necessitates thorough investigation, of which anecdotal evidence is the smaller part.
Statistics: could they be anecdotes bundled after they've lost their power to inform?

you can't deny the power of statistics to describe a population. there are plenty of questions to ask in regards to statistical evidence, i'm afraid i don't understand the merits of this one.

this whole conversation reminds me of a friend of mine in architecture who recently raised the question "who needs proof?" largely because she didn't see the use of descriptive statistics in a situation demanding them, or just didn't want to bother with them (maybe because they would call her argument into question when cherry-picked anecdotes would not)
Which brings me to my own question - I'd like to know how many people on here are in design ... or want to be in design, or are primarily interested in it. and how many people are in social science, or want to be, or are primarily interested in planning/sociology/development/public policy/social work etc.

I'm in law, so my professional engagement with cities is doomed to be "all of the above that are not cool, fun design".

I'm mainly interested in the sociological impact of buildings/design/planning/urban spaces and the psychology of city populations.

hm ... maybe an administrator could start a poll?
What are you primarily interested in/your training/ your profession?

Architecture/Urban Design, Transportation/Land Use Planning, Real Estate Development, Economic Development, Law, Psychology, Sociology ...?

The goal isn't to pigeon hole anybody I'm just interested in what sort of experience people have.

There is a poll thread in the General forum, I made it a few months (years?) ago. It's titled "What kind of architecture nerd are you?"

That might have what you're looking for.

I'm interested in transportation/land use planning that brings out the best of how urban places can be places for people, where people can live comfortably without owning a car, and have opportunities to actually interact with other human beings on a regular basis.

Really the whole thing is one big Venn diagram.

Back