Japanese Restaurant in the South End (I think?)

Lrfox

Reaction score
I think KZ or someone else recently mentioned (and posted a link to) a Japanese Restaurant in the South End (i think it was the South End) that had a stunning interior and food that "wasn't too shabby." I can't find this post anywhere and was wondering if anyone remembers the name of the place. I have an urge to go there tomorrow and can't figure out what it was.

Can anyone help me out?

Oishii perhaps? That's the only Japanese place I can think of in the South End that has a remotely "stunning" interior. The food's great, a little pricey but well worth it.

It must be Oishii, in the 1200 block of Washington Street at Gateway Terrace, I had dinner there last night.. Awesome food, small portions, expensive but worth it.

im pretty sure oishii is a chain, theres one in the good ol' chesterfield commons strip mall here in stl.

The first place that popped into my head upon seeing the title of this thread was O Ya, near South Station. The Times named it the best restaurant in the US (outside New York, that is).

No way Oishii is a chain. I'm not even confident the South End joint is related to Oishii Sushi, over at that unfortunate intersection in Chestnut Hill. Don't be fooled by the ubiquitous name. It means 'delicious' in Japanese...

well oishii sushi must be a chain then...the oishii i speak of is a sushi/hibachi combo. its okay...definitely not best in america.

The place in St. Louis is Oishi, not Oishii.

I've been to O Ya.. fantastic place. I was hoping to try someplace new. Actually this is all in vain as everyone else wanted steak and we went to Locke-Ober on Winter Pl. I've been there before, but it never disappoints.

Speaking of steak, anyone been to K-O Prime? the menu looks good (except for $33/ounce Japanese beef).

Does Locke-Ober still have a shroud to cover its nude mural after catastrophic Sox and/or Harvard losses?

Does Locke-Ober still have a shroud to cover its nude mural after catastrophic Sox and/or Harvard losses?

Which Harvard losses are you referring to?

And-why would sports victories have anything to do with a shrouded nude mural?

So they cower away from bold art after losses by the Crimson and the Sox? I guess I just haven't been around long enough to have known that tradition.

I don't know if they do it still, I've eaten there a couple dozen times in the last few years and I've never seen the mural shrouded.

I've never even eaten there, kennedy, I was just repeating a rumor. Turns out I was partly wrong in any case:

Known as Yvonne (said to be the name of the model), this entrance way painting became the restaurant?s mascot. Traditionally, when Harvard loses to Yale, Yvonne?s upper torso was covered. (The only other time the mural has been draped was when the New York Yacht Club lost the America?s Cup.)

She was not the only woman to be hidden in the event of a certain game's result:

As was the case with many exclusive restaurants, women were generally excluded from dining at Locke-Ober?s until as late as 1970. Before then, women patrons were only allowed on the second floor?s private dining areas, or on the first floor if Harvard won a home game against Yale.

Well, she surely wasn't covered up this year. Go Crimson!

And, may we have a moment of silence for the loss of the America's Cup?

Okay, good.

Back