JP Morgan, Robert Beal and Mayor Menino

pelhamhall

Reaction score
I am generally an easy-going, laid back guy with a sunny disposition. I don't know what about this board brings out my inner angry old man... but here's another thing that has me going absolutely bonkers, it's a national headline from today (7/16):

JPMorgan 2Q profit jumps 36 pct, topping forecasts (AP)

AP - JPMorgan Chase & Co. posted a second quarter profit of $2.72 billion, a 36 percent jump that easily surpassed expectations as strength in its core consumer and investment banking businesses offset a jump in credit losses.​

Here in Boston, in April of 2008, Menino proposed giving JP Morgan $4M of our tax money - or that's how this story was told:

Boston Globe Article here/

The reality is that Seaport Center is a Beal builing, and Beal is one of those developers that pretends to enjoy the mayor, publicly praises him, and then controls him like a puppet with political donations and fund-raisers.

So the stories that were written about Menino giving $4M to JP Morgan never addressed the underlying truth - Menino was actually giving Beal company tens of millions of dollars in rent and property value.

Seeing that headline today about how rich and profitable JP Morgan continues to be really pisses me off.

And seeing how rich and profitable Beal Company is really pisses me off.

And seeing how the city can't afford basic services really pisses me off.

And knowing that Menino funneled our tax money to one of his closest developer buddies really pisses me off.

I'm all for tax breaks and re-investment funds for blighted neighborhoods, but would this $4M transfer of our tax money have occurred if JP Morgan wanted to move its operations to a building that was not controlled by a slobbering pet of Menino? Do I even need to ask?

/rant

Business as usual is putting us out of business.

It's time for the Prince of Readville to retire to his garden.

Back