L Street Station Redevelopment (née Old Edison Plant)| 776 Summer Street | South Boston

Re: Old Boston Edison plant on Summer St

Figured this would come down eventually.

I will miss it if/when it goes.

Seems like it will be very capital intensive...Environmental problems in the past. Still technically has functionality. Also, the freight road will be going through this property. Waterfront condos with trucks going through your front yard?

Can't imagine condos going in there, or anything of significance, honestly. Maybe if they give the land away .. or, possibly, partner with current owner? Without knowing ANY specifics, seems way to fraught with difficulties. Based on what I've read, the risk of contamination is way too high. Not only would I not live there, I'd tell anyone I knew not to, either.

The location seems too remote for high-end, even with other projects seemingly further away getting high prices.

I can only imagine light-industrial. Which the residents nearby may actually prefer, since they're often ignorant.

I don't understand the contamination concerns. They have already largely cleaned up the site. Besides, we aren't talking about building a dozen single family homes with big back yards for the kids to play and drink from the well-water hose. This could/should be a bunch of high density mixed-use buildings on a big ol' slab of concrete. What's the problem?

The location seems too remote for high-end, even with other projects seemingly further away getting high prices.

I'm trying to find out in which Boston this is considered remote.

On one hand I almost kinda get it based on current Boston, although it is almost directly across the street from the busiest transit station in New England. But, with the amount of time it will take anything to materialize here, the USPS will have moved and Dot Ave. will be being developed (let that show how long I think this will take). A ped bridge or 2 to get you past the ramps and tracks, and this is not only connected to that new hot spot, but between all the newness of the new East South End, a gentrifying Chinatown, a sure to be hipper Leather District, and still reasonably short walk to downtown.

It'll take some hurdles, but I see no reason you would get close to top dollar in this location by the time it's done.

On one hand I almost kinda get it based on current Boston, although it is almost directly across the street from the busiest transit station in New England. But, with the amount of time it will take anything to materialize here, the USPS will have moved and Dot Ave. will be being developed (let that show how long I think this will take). A ped bridge or 2 to get you past the ramps and tracks, and this is not only connected to that new hot spot, but between all the newness of the new East South End, a gentrifying Chinatown, a sure to be hipper Leather District, and still reasonably short walk to downtown.

It'll take some hurdles, but I see no reason you would get close to top dollar in this location by the time it's done.

Are you sure you are thinking of the correct site? This is down Summer Street, past the Convention Center and Seaport.

You might be thinking of the wrong location, the steam plant parcel on Kneeland maybe?

This power plant is about 1.5 miles from South Station and the same from Dot Ave. I agree that is hardly remote, but it isn't across the street either.

D'oh!!! you're right. Thought this had split off from the 25, 26, 27 thread. Aw shucks.
I saw Summer street in the title too.
Yes, pretty far away.

https://youtu.be/XJNGMM2pNME?t=85

Is my face red?

I think you might be thinking of the Fort Point Channel, not the Reserve Channel. The Reserve Channel is much further away from all of these things and this site is on the wrong side of it as well.

The location

South%20Boston%20Power%20Plant%20site%201.jpg

I don't understand the contamination concerns. They have already largely cleaned up the site. Besides, we aren't talking about building a dozen single family homes with big back yards for the kids to play and drink from the well-water hose. This could/should be a bunch of high density mixed-use buildings on a big ol' slab of concrete. What's the problem?

From the article, it appears they have remediated the yard, but not the plant.

As for the plant, aside from asbestos, lead, heavy metals, PCBs, there is mercury.

http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/fs095-01/fs095-01.html

Note that the highest concentrations of mercury in coal are in coal from Appalachia. This plant burned that coal for at least 60-70 years.

Trolley yard for GL extension.

Seems like a relatively low price for 18 waterfront acres. Although they have millions ahead of them in demo and environmental costs before any type of development gets underway.

South Boston power plant sale closes for $24.25 million: http://www.bldup.com/projects/south-boston-power-plant

from the link part of the reason for the low sales price
According to Hilco Global spokesman Gary Epstein, the development team will strive to preserve historically significant details on the South Boston Power Plant site. A Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection currently prohibits residential construction on part of the site; however, with additional cleanup, residential construction could be permitted. More information about the South Boston Power

Under its present conditions -- no residential use is permitted so that leaves much lower value uses

As the developer is required to preserve a lot of the "historically significant details " the flexibility of its reuse is somewhat limited and further there is the Massport easement for the extension of the "Haul Road"

Seems like a relatively low price for 18 waterfront acres. Although they have millions ahead of them in demo and environmental costs before any type of development gets underway.

And to think that the MBTA sold the empty 17.8 acre parcel immediately next door to this one for only $7 million just last year. I still can't get over the fact that that land never hit the open market...

^Not to derail the thread, but what is massport going to do with that former MBTA parcel?

Back