L Street Station Redevelopment (née Old Edison Plant)| 776 Summer Street | South Boston

This may have been asked earlier, but what level of environmental mess needs to be cleaned up? I am a child and don't have the attention span to read all 27 pages of the master plan.

So neighborhood NIMBY's got bought off with the promise of parking spaces?

I always prefer more housing but 636 units is nothing to sneeze at given the particulars of the project.

The NIMBY's got more than than parking spaces, they got a reduction of almost 1000 housing units. This is just freakin unbelievable. Where's the mayor and his proposal to increase housing in Boston. Seriously, he need to speak up on issues of cutting housing in proposed developments. And it's not just here, it's a problem in every neighborhood in the city.

^^Thank you. It IS an absolute outrage,
helping to make "Boston is fucked," a true, reality-based fact.

You made the point, (where i too often stumble), that all these failed highrises, mid-rises and proposals for X density are not having a small effect on the quality of life for real people in this City: but these sharp cuts and failures is having an absolutely huge effect, including people who post on this board.

Why isn't the mayor weighing in on this travesty, and attempting to stop it? We don't need 57,000 units by 2030. We need 90,000 or 100,000 units by 2035. A very high benchmark needs to be reached. The mayor needs to inform the people of Boston that he plans on building housing--and we're not going to continue to dick around.

Last edited:
Seeing that Massport holds an easement on the property that stipulates no residential, 1600 units was never in the cards.

^^Thank you. It IS an absolute outrage,
helping to make "Boston is fucked," a true, reality-based fact.

You made the point, (where i too often stumble), that all these failed highrises, mid-rises and proposals for X density are not having a small effect on the quality of life for real people in this City: but these sharp cuts and failures is having an absolutely huge effect, including people who post on this board.

Why isn't the mayor weighing in on this travesty, and attempting to stop it? We don't need 57,000 units by 2030. We need 90,000 or 100,000 units by 2035. A very high benchmark needs to be reached. The mayor needs to inform the people of Boston that he plans on building housing--and we're not going to continue to dick around.

You always assume that the units get cut by developers because of NIMBY complaints. I'm willing to bet that many developers intentionally inflate their proposals specifically to generate outcry with absolutely no intention or financial ability to build that proposal. Then they can return with what they actually planned to build and call it a concession.

or it could be just the opposite: that demand vs supply
on their delivery date/s will more likely be high.

You always assume that the units get cut by developers because of NIMBY complaints. I'm willing to bet that many developers intentionally inflate their proposals specifically to generate outcry with absolutely no intention or financial ability to build that proposal. Then they can return with what they actually planned to build and call it a concession.
Possibly the case in some developments but not this one. Hillco has huge pockets and the demand for residential in Southie is unrelenting, this was definitely killed by NIMBY's and local pol's protecting their voter base.

Okay, I’m just speculating. But developers know the game. They know there will be NIMBY outcry and they know that concessions can quiet it down. They’re expecting a political negotiation. Given that, whether they can pay for it or not, they’re going to “go big” with their opening bid so they have room to negotiate.

Okay, I’m just speculating. But developers know the game. They know there will be NIMBY outcry and they know that concessions can quiet it down. They’re expecting a political negotiation. Given that, whether they can pay for it or not, they’re going to “go big” with their opening bid so they have room to negotiate.
Agreed, they went in with 1700 or so units expecting to take a haircut of 2-300 maybe, I doubt they expected the beheading they received!

I feel 1700 units was a negotiating ploy given the Massport issue. They probably could and should have squeezed in a couple hundred more units but I can deal with what we got. Its also proof of just how easy it is to buy the opposition off. Forget about tens of millions of dollars of linkage fees and affordable housing payments not to mention CLF extortionists looking for a handout. Just throw a few parking spaces in for local NIMBY's and the project is off the races! :D

Is this some kind of demo prep?

IMG_2690 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_2691 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_2692 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
Beeline -- certainly looks like preparing the sidewalk for some demo activities -- possibly removal of the stack
Assuming that those frames and decking were put up before the construction hiatus -- wonder if that will now happen

This is a project -- not so far along that a major rethink might not happen

That flimsy scaffolding is for stack or building demo? That sidewalk would be close for that no? Probably just in case bricks/debris fall off the crumbling building

That flimsy scaffolding is for stack or building demo? That sidewalk would be close for that no? Probably just in case bricks/debris fall off the crumbling building
Suffolk -- I doubt that is the reason:
  1. the stack is not that close to the corner -- hence the protection needed to dismantle it --only for just in case something was dislodged and rolled or bounced?
  2. the building is not that old -- dates from the 60's -- the Turbine Hall is much older and the protection stops before it the older brick wall begins

They are cutting it down from 1588 housing units, to only 636. Do we have a housing crisis or don't we? I don't understand how chopping housing somehow makes these projects more palatable for being approved.
This particular site was never going to get all that housing. The Massport easement says ZERO housing, so getting any is a win.

They are cutting it down from 1588 housing units, to only 636. Do we have a housing crisis or don't we? I don't understand how chopping housing somehow makes these projects more palatable for being approved.

The first thing to realize is nobody actually cares about the housing crisis. It's political lip service to capture the renter voting-bloc during elections.

Back