Lab/Office | 109 Brookline Avenue | Fenway

250k sf on that lot equates to about 10 stories FYI.

There used to be a pretty good BBQ wings place in there mid-late 90's. I used to hit up with my parents a lot before Sox games.

Replacing the existing 109 Brookline, which has a nice facade (if a bit weathered).

Agreed, and the buildings across the street are so much frumpier in terms of looks. Still, I don't think this loss would be quite as tragic as the Kenmore Building or the buildings at Arlington and Boylston.

Agreed, and the buildings across the street are so much frumpier in terms of looks. Still, I don't think this loss would be quite as tragic as the Kenmore Building or the buildings at Arlington and Boylston.

With any luck, the buildings across the street will be torn down around the same time as part of the Red Sox Mixed-Use Development (Jersey Parcel)

With everything proposed and/or recently built, this whole area will be unrecognizable to someone from 10-15 years ago.

Although the building across the street would be a nice one to replace........seriously.......what the actual fukk???????

As stated above, it's in the plans for redevelopment. That being said, it is a really weird and unsightly building.

With any luck, the buildings across the street will be torn down around the same time as part of the Red Sox Mixed-Use Development (Jersey Parcel)

Still, I don't think this loss would be quite as tragic as the Kenmore Building or the buildings at Arlington and Boylston.

Tragic? Maybe not. But no matter what goes up here, it's hard to imagine that Boston's overall architectural landscape won't take a hit in losing a building like this. This is how the frog gets boiled.

Tragic? Maybe not. But no matter what goes up here, it's hard to imagine that Boston's overall architectural landscape won't take a hit in losing a building like this. This is how the frog gets boiled.

Boston’s architectural landscape is constantly evolving, and not everything needs to be saved. I’d lump this one in with One Cumberland as buildings where “it’s a shame to lose them, but I won’t be mad so long as what replaces them is great”.

Be cool if the new building could have some shield-shaped ornamentation to pay homage to what it replaced.

It's ironic the less architecturally significant building on the parcel is being kept.

However, the language in the LOI doesn't rule out future redevelopment of it.

PNF:

1619804107267.png

1619804141156.png

1619804163476.png

109brookline.jpg

"Ten-story life-sciences building proposed for Brookline Avenue in the Fenway"

"A California-based real-estate trust that focuses on life-sciences projects has filed plans to replace a vacant three-story building at 109 Brookline Ave. at Overland Street with a ten-story, 247,000-square foot building aimed at the burgeoning life-sciences business, with lots of lab space and room for offices for overseeing all that lab work."

"The building would also have ground-floor retail space as well as four levels of underground parking with room for 230 cars, under plans by IQHQ of Solana Beach, CA, filed today with the BPDA. IQHQ bought the two-acre property for $270 million last April, according to Suffolk County Registry of Deeds records....."

https://www.universalhub.com/2021/ten-story-life-sciences-lab-building-proposed

With everything proposed and/or recently built, this whole area will be unrecognizable to someone from 10-15 years ago.
Certainly true of Boylston St., but the stretch of Brookline Ave. between Kenmore and Landmark Center has barely changed at all in the past 30 years.

Certainly true of Boylston St., but the stretch of Brookline Ave. between Kenmore and Landmark Center has barely changed at all in the past 30 years.

The spirit of my comment was that this project will change that, along with the Red Sox/WS Developments on Jersey Street and Brookline, and the Fenway Center over the Pike in progress. That's 3 major redevelopments - pretty drastic changes coming in addition to what has been built already, mostly along Boylston.

Back