Let's embrace our inner brutality

You'll also occasionally come across 'Christian Science Reading Rooms' in commercial districts, though many of these have closed over the past few decades.

Christian Science is a wealthy institution, but its membership is steadily declining. They have not always used their wealth wisely. For instance, in the 1980s and 1990s, they created The Monitor Channel for cable TV, Monitor Radio for NPR stations, and a monthly magazine called World Monitor. All of these were considered models of good journalism, but they all lost large amounts of money and were eventually closed down.

Over the last year, local newspapers have reported that Christian Science would like to sell or lease some of the real estate they now own. It would make sense for them to sell to nearby Berklee College of Music, which wants to expand.

My money has it that our offspring will be discussing Scientology in similarly respectful terms 100 years on. Okay, Mary Baker Eddy never invoked space aliens in her cosmotology, but the Christian Science church was fairly scandalous back in the 19th century.

I too didn't understand those religions were seperate entities for a number of years, and I'd see the old churches and think, "how the hell could those nutty scientologists have that many beautiful old buildings?"

That was my thinking... I saw the Christian Science Center and know a few people who read the Christian Science monitor and wondered, "How did this wacky of a cult (it is what it is, right?) have such a profound impact on literature and architecture."

Thanks for clearing that up for me, it makes much more sense to me now.

*Edit* everything I previously knew about Scientology came from South Park. If anyone's interested, they have a fantastic episode on John Smith and the Mormons.

everything I previously knew about Scientology came from South Park. If anyone's interested, they have a fantastic episode on John Smith and the Mormons.

It's Joseph Smith. (He looks like Elvis in the wiki photo).

South Park isn't for everyone, but it does contain (amid the fart jokes) some of the most astute social criticism on television since the Norman Lear.

Am I alone in thinking it's funny that a discussion about the most devisive brand of Modernism has somehow devolved into a discussion of (false) religions?

My money has it that our offspring will be discussing Scientology in similarly respectful terms 100 years on. Okay, Mary Baker Eddy never invoked space aliens in her cosmotology, but the Christian Science church was fairly scandalous back in the 19th century.

What a depressing thought. Mostly because it is true.

I could say more but I don't want to offend Padre Mike.

It's Am I alone in thinking it's funny that a discussion about the most devisive brand of Modernism has somehow devolved into a discussion of (false) religions?
Le Corbusier was a false prophet! Brutalism is a superstition!

Am I alone in thinking it's funny that a discussion about the most devisive brand of Modernism has somehow devolved into a discussion of (false) religions?

Not really. It's a quick jump: Brutalism -> Christian Science Center -> Religion.

Religion and brutality have always gone well together...

112.jpg

attachment.php

Not really. It's a quick jump: Brutalism -> Christian Science Center -> Religion.

I've followed the discussion from day one. Both topics bring out idealogues, fundamentalists, and dogmatics.

Religion and brutality have always gone well together...

Vers une Architecture did for urban design what Dianetics continues to do for the weak-minded who wish to assign meaning to their misery.

Back