Liberty Tree Plaza | Chinatown

i should have been at the dedication today.

i'm in Chicago.

As much as some of the surrounding areas have changed, I don’t think any meaningful improvement will happen to this specific block so long as the St. Francis House remains.

And get ready for a lot more of St. Francis' presence in the area, given that their 48 Boylston St. affordable housing development is on the verge of opening.

That, and they're looking to get rolling on their 41 LaGrange affordable housing development soon.

So that's nearly 200 residential units to be run by St. Francis House on that block, on top of their "regular" shelter operations.

I'm not try to slant this one way or another--just pointing out that they're doing the exact opposite of withdrawing their presence from the neighborhood. Because, sadly, the demand for their services is of course overwhelming, and growing astronomically/catastrophically...

And get ready for a lot more of St. Francis' presence in the area, given that their 48 Boylston St. affordable housing development is on the verge of opening.

That, and they're looking to get rolling on their 41 LaGrange affordable housing development soon.

So that's nearly 200 residential units to be run by St. Francis House on that block, on top of their "regular" shelter operations.

I'm not try to slant this one way or another--just pointing out that they're doing the exact opposite of withdrawing their presence from the neighborhood. Because, sadly, the demand for their services is of course overwhelming, and growing astronomically/catastrophically...

Actually the housing might improve the street scene. One of the big problems with the St. Francis House is it is a day shelter, which means the people getting support there have no place to go at night, other than out onto the street. Having housing available might actually improve the degree of homelessness on the street.

(At least that was the pitch to the community when the housing was proposed.)

Back