Logan Airport Capital Projects

Those analogic scanners are indeed nationwide, and also hated by many travellers, because they're slow. They're CT scanners, which like a medical scanner means 3D images... Which take longer to interpret.

Plus, every individual thing needs to go in a bin, and with multiple "loading stations", there's still only one output. Granted your 3-1-1 and laptops can stay in, but they're a pain. Given the choice of a lane with these vs a lane without, I'm going for the lane with the old X-ray scanners.

Those analogic scanners are indeed nationwide, and also hated by many travellers, because they're slow. They're CT scanners, which like a medical scanner means 3D images... Which take longer to interpret.

Plus, every individual thing needs to go in a bin, and with multiple "loading stations", there's still only one output. Granted your 3-1-1 and laptops can stay in, but they're a pain. Given the choice of a lane with these vs a lane without, I'm going for the lane with the old X-ray scanners.
Yes, they're CT scanners, and I didn't notice any difference in speed. I think the times that I've used the CT types in MUC and AMS, as well as ORD. They were in the PreCheck lane at ORD and I didn't have to take my iPad, laptop, phone, or any liquids out and in the EU I was able to transit security with bottles of water and no issues. I'm pretty sure they tested the Smiths CT in Terminal B at Logan as well. It is interesting that in Germany you go through secondary screening prior to getting to the gates with the US bound flights, but if you have a US passport you are able to avoid going through. Also, I purchased a Wüstof knife post security in Munich and kept it in my carry-on bag all the way to BOS.

What are these boarded areas? The spot where a second jet bridge will eventually go?

View attachment 44392

What are these boarded areas? The spot where a second jet bridge will eventually go?

View attachment 44392
I don’t know when they got installed, but both E14 and E15 have second bridges connected where those doors are. I’m sitting in E right now and can clearly see them. They appeared to be designated E14A and 15A.

Please excuse the terrrible photo - the lighting and glass is very difficult.

Attachments

• IMG_0016.jpeg
    IMG_0016.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 137
  • IMG_0942.jpeg
    IMG_0942.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0941.jpeg
    IMG_0941.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 122
Last edited:

Delta plans to open their premium lounge in Boston towards the end of this year. It will be 6,300 sf and be connected to the recently opened Sky Club in the E expansion. In total, Delta will have roughly 28k sf of lounge space in terminal E.

Massport put up the 1/18/24 board meeting slide deck. Some good information about LEX, specifically Framingham. They're going to add 1,000 spaces there and also provided a breakdown of ticket sales by zip code. I'd be curious to see if they will ever study adding a new terminal in the area of Franklin/Wrentham.

1709089614085.png

Massport put up the 1/18/24 board meeting slide deck. Some good information about LEX, specifically Framingham. They're going to add 1,000 spaces there and also provided a breakdown of ticket sales by zip code. I'd be curious to see if they will ever study adding a new terminal in the area of Franklin/Wrentham.

View attachment 48029

Good idea. Or also, the Auburn Park and Ride. Could capture Connecticut (1,800-9,000 transactions), Berkshire County (600-3,000 transactions), Pioneer Valley (6,000-33,000 transactions), Worcester Hills (400-2,000 transactions), South County (1,400-7,000 transactions), Paxton (200-1,000 transactions), Leicester (200-1,000 transactions), and Auburn (1,000-3,000 transactions). By my count, that's 11,000-59,000 transactions, just from the existing Framingham Logan Express customer base.

Is the FIS connector extension going to obliterate the tarmac view from the old Terminal D passageway that connects C to E? My kid and I love to watch the workings of the airport from those windows.

Massport released the board meeting deck. Some focus on the fy 2024-2028 capital plan.

1713319845107.png

1713319863365.png

1713319901109.png

At least Massport hasn't forgotten about the Blue Line connection from terminal E and I'd be curious to know what type of modernization for terminal C and terminal B renovations they are kicking around.

1713319998610.png

I wish we had more LEX's within 128 as the MBTA connections are underwhelming. At least they seem to be prioritizing bus travel and it needs some sort of queue jump to get into the Ted Williams during the upcoming tunnel closure. I could see LEX getting good ridership from Harvard Square, Kendall Square, Newton Corner, Brookline Village, Forest Hills, etc. Since they cannot build a direct rail connection to the terminals, an express bus will always be faster.

I wish we had more LEX's within 128 as the MBTA connections are underwhelming. At least they seem to be prioritizing bus travel and it needs some sort of queue jump to get into the Ted Williams during the upcoming tunnel closure. I could see LEX getting good ridership from Harvard Square, Kendall Square, Newton Corner, Brookline Village, Forest Hills, etc. Since they cannot build a direct rail connection to the terminals, an express bus will always be faster.
I've generally favored an MBTA operated combined LEX/SL1 that splits at South Station to serve North Station and Back Bay, which would give every subway stop a two-seat ride to the terminals for the one subway fare as opposed to the subway fare of $2.40 + the BB LEX $3 fare currently.

I agree. Although SLX and BNRD phases may improve some of the time estimates, it seems silly to me how lacking transit access to Logan is from cities north of Boston. Everett and Medford City Halls, for example, are <5 miles to Logan, but take 1 hour+ via transit to get to the airport terminals; about the same length of time it takes from Canton 20+ miles away via commuter rail and silver line.

I would love to see LEX scale up their one seat operations to additional inner ring destinations during peak travel times, maybe from the Town & City Halls peripheral to inner most core, including the locations you mention. Cheaper than an Uber/Lyft, and as the region builds out bus priority lanes it’ll certainly be faster than general traffic among many routes.

Interesting that they aren't envisioning the A-B connector as a full building, but just an enclosed walkway. I would have thought they could have picked up 1-2 gates, but maybe that isn't worth the cost.

Also, two big-ticket items under "Replace Aging Infrastructure": B Garage Replacement and Terminal C Modernization, which presumably would replace the piers.

Interesting that they aren't envisioning the A-B connector as a full building, but just an enclosed walkway. I would have thought they could have picked up 1-2 gates, but maybe that isn't worth the cost.

There's so little space in there between A11 and B1 anyway that it's probably effectively impossible to shove another gate in there that doesn't block at least one of those two.

Imagine walking from the Terminal A satellite to the new part of Terminal E, that's probably an hour long walk.

Imagine walking from the Terminal A satellite to the new part of Terminal E, that's probably an hour long walk.
It appears to be about two miles, using google maps measurement tool. So depending on walking speed, could take up to an hour, probably 45 minutes for most. Definitely something I'd be interested in doing at some point, but I'd want to be sure I was very early for my flight before giving it a try.

It appears to be about two miles, using google maps measurement tool. So depending on walking speed, could take up to an hour, probably 45 minutes for most. Definitely something I'd be interested in doing at some point, but I'd want to be sure I was very early for my flight before giving it a try.
A below-ground people mover that's about 2,000 feet + elevators/escalators could probably reasonably move passengers post-security between Terminals A & E. Logan's already got the post-security underground infrastructure at Terminal A for the access to the satellite terminal--you could house a board station at/near the bottom of escalator cavern there in Terminal A. Terminal E escalator/elevator well could rise near the new TSA security checkpoint and Duty Free area in the expanded terminal. It would obviously be the biggest boon to Delta and Sky Alliance partners, especially for domestic to international departure transfers.

FWIW, I did the walk once for fun from Gate B12 to E12 and it took about 25 minutes at a brisk pace. A future post-security walk from Gates A22/A13 to E19 would most certainly be an hour walk for most using forecast/existing infrastructure.
Screen Shot 2024-04-18 at 10.30.03 AM.png

Last edited:

Back