Logan Airport Capital Projects

Screenshot_20221215_222643_Drive.png

I'm not sure I had ever seen an interior layout shared here, found this is some recent board materials. Does the expansion include a TSA checkpoint? Is that what the large green zone on the right is?

It says green is specialty retail.
Yeah but that's clearly an error, the slide before this said there is one speciality retail location and it's the small green square off to the left of the food court. Also if you zoom in on the big green area on the right you can see what looks suspiciously like TSA screening lanes, and that would be an insane amount of SQ footage for a specialty retail store.

Maybe the plans have since changed, but from what I recall that big "specialty retail" area is not only a new security checkpoint, it's supposed to replace the current one.
Interesting I had totally missed that element of this project, what are the plans for the space used by the existing one?

Interesting I had totally missed that element of this project, what are the plans for the space used by the existing one?
I think airport offices? Perhaps replacing some that were in the tower that was demo'd for the C-B connector.

Yes, the green area on the right side is a new, expanded security checkpoint for the terminal. I think it's going to be 50% larger than the existing one, which will convert to additional support space and additional retail.

Yes, the green area on the right side is a new, expanded security checkpoint for the terminal. I think it's going to be 50% larger than the existing one, which will convert to additional support space and additional retail.

Good! Maybe they will have room for more than 1 coffee shop to be open before 9am. LOL

It says green is specialty retail.
I think I get it. This means we all have to pay for the cavity-searching, fourth amendment violation we didn't solicit or give cause for... in the name of security theater.
Specialty retail. Solid euphemism. Will use.

/snark.
I've been inside to see the active part of Terminal E. It's already pretty slick.

Is the space between the hanger and the extension where UPS operates out of at Logan? If so, how are they going to fit the second phase in here? There's a marked parking spot for a wide body between the far gate and those 2 planes. But beyond that, where will they fit the 3 gates that phase 2 is supposed to have?

Is there any update on terminal E expansion opening?

Massport is pretty bad about providing updates on their projects. They made a nice website highlighting the work, but it's just renders and an overview of what will be done. No update photos. They're also slow to release their board meeting decks that sometimes will contain some updates.

Unless they say otherwise, it should be coming online in June.

Based on this photo I took on one of my multiple flights out of Logan this week, it looks like they've cut out some of the openings for the second jetbridges at the Terminal E expansion gates. Makes me wonder why they'd originally clad it in the first place.
20230128_093304.jpg

Attachments

• 20230128_093241.jpg
    20230128_093241.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 69
Last edited:
I was in Terminal E yesterday and will confirm that "E14" and "E15" have the cladding off to expose where the 2nd jet bridge will likely be. Neither 13 or 16 appear to be uncovered and still appear to have just a single jet bridge planned.

All 4 of the new gates have their first jet bridges installed (at least partially installed).

I was in Terminal E yesterday and will confirm that "E14" and "E15" have the cladding off to expose where the 2nd jet bridge will likely be. Neither 13 or 16 appear to be uncovered and still appear to have just a single jet bridge planned.

All 4 of the new gates have their first jet bridges installed (at least partially installed).

Was E16 ever supposed to have two bridges? The silver protruding portion is quite a bit narrower than the other three, and I can't find a clear view of it with two bridges in any of the renderings.

I was reviewing this architecture firm because they use our Revit add-in software, and look what I found:

Departed 33L for MCI yesterday and had a great view:
D5F26AE6-EA45-4FF6-A796-B08795351923.jpeg

I really love this terminal. The red is such a contrast to staid Boston and we could use more of it. The new terminal at MCI is great. Walked off the plane to the scent of BBQ which is so very KCMO (we should NOT do the same thing with seafood in Boston…). Looking forward to experiencing more of it on the way out next week.

Back