Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

T-100 Data is out for the full year of 2023. I cleaned it up for the below topics.

JetBlue just barely retained the top spot in number of passengers from Delta:
1710444737390.png

By the end of the year, Delta had overtaken JetBlue in monthly passengers, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them take the top spot in 2024:
1710444991779.png

1710446450743.png

Last edited:
Do you have a cheat sheet for Carrier codes and destination airports? I know some airport codes without looking, but TVC & YOW, as an example, I would have to Google.

Do you have a cheat sheet for Carrier codes and destination airports? I know some airport codes without looking, but TVC & YOW, as an example, I would have to Google.
Unfortunately there's no real rhyme or reason to them. It's not made easier by the fact that there's 3 distinct systems for notating them, but the 2 big ones are IATA and ICAO; people often use them interchangeably, especially if one is more readable than the other. but IATA is most commonly used in the airline world, which has 3 letter airport codes and 2 letter airline codes.

The thing is a two letter code (even with numbers) is a relatively finite space of 1296 possible combinations. The same thing applies to airports, so IATA codes are limited to those with commercial service, and so ICAO sets are more complete. Plus, the codes are functionally first come first serve - its why JetBlue doesn't have the code JB, but is B6, yet their ICAO code is JBU. (JB belongs to Helijet, a helicopter operator out of Canada). On the other hand, an older, established airline like American or KLM or Delta are easy - AA/AAL, KL/KLM, DL/DAL, whereas newer entrants have to choose from what's not already in use, such as Spirit ending up as NK and Southwest as WN. Southwest is one where I've seen a lot of people use the ICAO code SWA because its just more reader friendly.

The same thing applies to airports. LHR is the IATA code for London Heathrow, but its ICAO code is EGLL, BOS is KBOS, etc, etc. Unfortunately, there's no easy way to decode it without knowing them, but for an American context most Yxx codes will be Canadian.

That explained, heres a shortlist of the most common airline codes in the US:

AA/AAL - American Airlines
AS/ASA - Alaska Airlines
b6/JBU - Jetblue
DL/DAL - Delta Air Lines
F9/FFT - Frontier AIrlines
HA/HAL - Hawaiian Airlines
NK/NKS - Spirit
UA/UAL - United Airlines
WN/SWA - Southwest

For this chart specifically, the more obscure ones are: (I had to look up a couple of these)
YOW -Ottawa, TVC - Traverse City MI, SRQ - Sarasota FL, EYW - Key West FL, PUJ - Punta Cana DR, PLS - Providenciales, PDL - Punta Delgada Azores.
VS - Virgin Atlantic, N0 - Norse Atlantic, PD - Porter, QR - Qatar, WS - WestJet, S4 - Azores aka SATA International

Unfortunately there's no real rhyme or reason to them. It's not made easier by the fact that there's 3 distinct systems for notating them, but the 2 big ones are IATA and ICAO; people often use them interchangeably, especially if one is more readable than the other. but IATA is most commonly used in the airline world, which has 3 letter airport codes and 2 letter airline codes.

The thing is a two letter code (even with numbers) is a relatively finite space of 1296 possible combinations. The same thing applies to airports, so IATA codes are limited to those with commercial service, and so ICAO sets are more complete. Plus, the codes are functionally first come first serve - its why JetBlue doesn't have the code JB, but is B6, yet their ICAO code is JBU. (JB belongs to Helijet, a helicopter operator out of Canada). On the other hand, an older, established airline like American or KLM or Delta are easy - AA/AAL, KL/KLM, DL/DAL, whereas newer entrants have to choose from what's not already in use, such as Spirit ending up as NK and Southwest as WN. Southwest is one where I've seen a lot of people use the ICAO code SWA because its just more reader friendly.

The same thing applies to airports. LHR is the IATA code for London Heathrow, but its ICAO code is EGLL, BOS is KBOS, etc, etc. Unfortunately, there's no easy way to decode it without knowing them, but for an American context most Yxx codes will be Canadian.

That explained, heres a shortlist of the most common airline codes in the US:

AA/AAL - American Airlines
AS/ASA - Alaska Airlines
b6/JBU - Jetblue
DL/DAL - Delta Air Lines
F9/FFT - Frontier AIrlines
HA/HAL - Hawaiian Airlines
NK/NKS - Spirit
UA/UAL - United Airlines
WN/SWA - Southwest

For this chart specifically, the more obscure ones are: (I had to look up a couple of these)
YOW -Ottawa, TVC - Traverse City MI, SRQ - Sarasota FL, EYW - Key West FL, PUJ - Punta Cana DR, PLS - Providenciales, PDL - Punta Delgada Azores.
VS - Virgin Atlantic, N0 - Norse Atlantic, PD - Porter, QR - Qatar, WS - WestJet, S4 - Azores aka SATA International
The earliest IATA codes in the US tended to make sense for the location: BOS for Boston, still in its original location. But as large newer airports got added to cities, the newer locations tended to get less obvious designators (and then the airports get further renamed to add to the confusion):

Dallas: DAL is Dallas Love Field (original airport); DFW is Dallas Fort Worth (newer airport)
Houston: HOU is Houston Hobby (original airport); IAH is George Bush Intercontinental (original Intercontinental Airport Houston, newer then renamed)
Cincinnati: CIN is Lunken Field (original airport); CVG is Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport (newer location in Covington KY)

T-100 Data is out for the full year of 2023. I cleaned it up for the below topics.

JetBlue just barely retained the top spot in number of passengers from Delta:
View attachment 48593
By the end of the year, Delta had overtaken JetBlue in monthly passengers, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them take the top spot in 2024:
View attachment 48596

View attachment 48600
Does anyone know how Aruba became so popular with New England. I can see why but I always wondered if the island had a strategy to target the Boston and NYC for marketing first before other areas. I'm surprised Delta does not run it year round and American has not returned to running it.

Something tells me JetBlue (B6) is going to bleed a lot of cash trying to mature their European service (not just from Boston). Those loads factors are pretty bad when you consider they fly A321s and the fares from what I have seen are not very high.

Hainan will continue running 3 times per week on its Beijing (PEK) to Boston service. The return leg will keep its tech stop in Seattle (SEA). This is their schedule through 10/26.

Flights operating on Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays.

Something tells me JetBlue (B6) is going to bleed a lot of cash trying to mature their European service (not just from Boston). Those loads factors are pretty bad when you consider they fly A321s and the fares from what I have seen are not very high.

I would love to know the load factor in MINT on the Transatlantic flight.

Though it's only a weekly flight, I'm interested to see how Grenada does in 2024. November and December are always a bit light for a new seasonal route (St Lucia and Liberia-CR started off slow too). I wonder if JetBlue should have done Antigua, St Kitts, or Belize instead.

Back