Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

JetBlue pulling back on London service.
JetBlue will be launching nonstop flights from Boston's Logan Airport to Amsterdam in September – but it appears they'll be pulling back some service to another city that they announced with a big splash: London.

Online flight records show that JetBlue will be trimming its Boston to London Gatwick flights starting in late September and running through most of October. The airline will also suspend flights between the two airports for most of January 2024.

The news was first reported by New England-based aviation journalist Seth Miller.

WCVB reached out to JetBlue for comment but did not immediately receive a response from the airline.

Miller said the moves were likely to free up its Airbus A321 long-range aircraft, which will be needed to operate its nonstop flights to Amsterdam and Paris.
https://www.wcvb.com/article/jetblue-boston-london-gatwick-flights-suspended-fall-winter/44175784#

No idea why this only seems to be on USA Today...

1686751928752.png

As with the current livery, the tailfin pattern and colors will vary between aircraft.

Looks nice enough but the front of the plane is kind of just Southwest's livery. If you're a geek you can tell the difference between an A32X nose and a 737 nose, I guess... I wonder if part of the motivation here is to stand out at European airports, since Southwest doesn't fly there. Southwest also has no operations at JFK and limited operations at BOS, so the two main B6 hubs won't have as much potential for confusion.

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of bold colored liveries - Air Greenland, Air New Zealand (the All Black), Play Airlines, the new Condor liveries, etc. are among my favorites. And I think this looks pretty nice. But it's not a drastic departure from the SWA liveries which are already extremely prevalent across the country. "Blue" is in the name, so I get that they are kind of restricted to that color palette, but it would have been nice to see a slightly larger departure.

"Blue" is in the name, so I get that they are kind of restricted to that color palette, but it would have been nice to see a slightly larger departure.
If you're familiar with JetBlue's history, you get why blue - David Neeleman, it's founder, has a thing for it. Hes either a cofounder or founder of:
  • WestJet up in Canada, which flies in a blue and white livery,
  • JetBlue, which is self explanatory
  • Azul Brazilian Airlines, which is Portuguese for blue
  • Breeze, which also has a very blue livery.
That said, Wow. That's kinda fugly. That is a very bright blue, very busy and too visually similar to Southwest. I too would have loved to have seen a different shade of blue - a dark, almost midnight blue or an azure shade as seen in the JetBlue logo (and on the tail!) would have been amazing. So would be a fleet that takes those 4 colors and mixes up the main fuselage - almost a return to Braniffs flying rainbow.

Granted, if they're planning on having to repaint all of the Spirit jets, now makes sense to figure out in what.

Front half looks just like the Southwest livery (edit: now I see Equilibria noted the same above)

1686845297950.png

That said, Wow. That's kinda fugly. That is a very bright blue, very busy and too visually similar to Southwest. I too would have loved to have seen a different shade of blue - a dark, almost midnight blue or an azure shade as seen in the JetBlue logo (and on the tail!) would have been amazing. So would be a fleet that takes those 4 colors and mixes up the main fuselage - almost a return to Braniffs flying rainbow.

The darker blue they used on the bellies of the old livery would have looked very nice. I'm honestly astonished that an airline has managed to make its livery simultaneously more colorful and less distinctive at the same time. (And at least to my eye the new colors look cheaper and less professional than the [semi-]original livery. Still looks better than Spirit's yellow abomination, though.)

JetBlue is going to launch non-stop service between Worcester and Ft. Myers starting January 4 - 2 times a week on the A320.

Norse will be suspending its London - Gatwick service for the winter. Their 5 weekly service will run from September 2 - October 30. It will start back up (as of right now anyway) March 31, 2024.

Cathay Pacific NW 23 schedule on their non-stop Hong Kong to Boston service. This is from October 30, 2023 until March 30, 2024.

1690372060133.png

Would fill probably the biggest gap in the Logan network. There’s a sizable South Asian population here and I’ve heard the current Europe or Middle East connections aren’t the best. Need more to the African continent as well (I don’t think Royal Air Maroc has restarted since the pandemic)

Nothing concrete yet, but AI is considering BOS as a possible new destination.

I would say it's a very real possibility that they do in fact launch non-stop service to Boston. They have 70 wide body planes joining their fleet beginning in 2025. I don't believe this incoming fleet is intended to replace any portion of their existing wide body fleet. I would not be surprised at all if come Q3 or Q4 2024 they announce Boston with a Q3 or Q4 2025 launch date. Boston, Los Angeles, Houston and Dallas would all be logical adds to build out their US network.

Spirit Airlines will expand its network in Boston. Beginning September 7, 2023, they will launch non-stop service to Nashville. Flights are set to operate 6 times a week. Schedule as follows:

1690939589573.png

Nashville is I believe the 6th new route Spirit has launched from Boston in 2023. They've also either launched, or are set to launch Los Angeles, Dallas/Ft. Worth, Charlotte, Phoenix and Houston.

The potential merger with JetBlue aside, Spirit has built up a pretty decent network in Boston.

Atlanta, Charlotte, Dallas/Ft. Worth, Fort Lauderdale, Houston-Intercontinental, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Miami, Myrtle Beach, Nashville, Orlando, Phoenix, San Juan all served year round at at least 4 times a week and then seasonal service to Fort Myers and Tampa.

Last edited:
The potential merger with JetBlue aside, Spirit has built up a pretty decent network in Boston.

Atlanta, Charlotte, Dallas/Ft. Worth, Fort Lauderdale, Houston-Intercontinental, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Miami, Myrtle Beach, Nashville, Orlando, Phoenix, San Juan all served year round at at least 4 times a week and then seasonal service to Fort Myers and Tampa.

Pretty impressive. I've said this before, but Spirit's big front seats are one of the best deals in the sky. A cushy domestic first class seat at the very front of the plan and plenty of legroom often for around the cost (or less than) of a basic economy ticket on United/American/Delta/JetBlue. I don't hate them like everyone else seems to.

Wow. Impressive and unexpected (to me, anyway - I thought they were having financial trouble and retracting). I wonder what (if any) impact this will have on Air India's plans for Boston?

Back