Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

Average load to Europe was 185 passengers - Average load to Asia was 180 passengers - Average load to the Middle East was 188 passengers - Average Load to Central America was 104 passengers.

It will be interesting to see what kind of load factors Emirates and Qatar have been getting on the Dubai and Doha flights.

How about a ~25% increase for Canada...looks like a lot of New England folks are taking advantage of the cheap loonie...

How about a ~25% increase for Canada...looks like a lot of New England folks are taking advantage of the cheap loonie...

WestJet started Toronto and Halifax this spring so that is part of the increase and Air Canada prices in a competitive manner on Transatlantic and Asia so their passenger loads may have gone up also.

WestJet started Toronto and Halifax this spring so that is part of the increase but Air Canada seems very competitive on Transatlantic and Asia as well.

It's very competitive. I'm flying to KGL at the end of September and Air Canada via YYZ and ADD (operated by Ethiopian) was the best bet by about $300. They come up near the top in almost any Asian itinerary I search.

I wish that someone would add a non-stop to Vancouver. It's probably the largest North American market without any non-stop service.

I wish that someone would add a non-stop to Vancouver. It's probably the largest North American market without any non-stop service.

Do you mean the largest market from Boston that lacks non-stop service? Or the largest market from Vancouver that lacks non-stop service?

I know Air Canada used to fly the route.

Do you mean the largest market from Boston that lacks non-stop service? Or the largest market from Vancouver that lacks non-stop service?

I know Air Canada used to fly the route.

I just can't think of another North American city as important as Vancouver that doesn't have non stop service from Logan. Maybe JetBlue will expand there someday or Air Canada will start flying it again.

I just can't think of another North American city as important as Vancouver that doesn't have non stop service from Logan. Maybe JetBlue will expand there someday or Air Canada will start flying it again.

I talked to the Air Canada reps at the Boston travel show about this, they said it's frequently requested but Corporate won't acknowledge the Demand. whether they plan on doing it in the future or are just plain ignoring a huge market I don't know. And Vancouver is Boston's largest unserved market, period.

And Vancouver is Boston's largest unserved market, period.

Though I think its a viable route and it may stimulate well on both sides, I'm not sure about its being the largest unserved market. It may currently be the largest unserved international market (I'm going to try and get current data) but in 2011 it was 60 PDEW on the city pair and it was higher (around 80) in 2003. Seoul and Barcelona were bigger in 2011.

San Antonio and Hampton Roads (Virginia Beach/Norfolk) are definitely larger markets year-round that are unserved. Historically the latter has been served and now probably leaks to Richmond to get the plethora of non-stops from there. Memphis, Louisville, Omaha, Madison WI also could be larger overall.

Air Canada does have Boeing 737 Max planes arriving in 2017 though which would be more fuel efficient and possibly decrease the financial risks of trying Boston-Vancouver.

Though I think its a viable route and it may stimulate well on both sides, I'm not sure about its being the largest unserved market. It may currently be the largest unserved international market (I'm going to try and get current data) but in 2011 it was 60 PDEW on the city pair and it was higher (around 80) in 2003. Seoul and Barcelona were bigger in 2011.

San Antonio and Hampton Roads (Virginia Beach/Norfolk) are definitely larger markets year-round that are unserved. Historically the latter has been served and now probably leaks to Richmond to get the plethora of non-stops from there. Memphis, Louisville, Omaha, Madison WI also could be larger overall.

Air Canada does have Boeing 737 Max planes arriving in 2017 though which would be more fuel efficient and possibly decrease the financial risks of trying Boston-Vancouver.

But wouldn't Vancouver be more likely to fill the front of the cabin than any of the Hampton Roads airports? Hampton Roads service has been sporadic (Delta recently did it with a regional jet and Airtran did it not all that long ago w/ a 717 I believe), but I imagine that the economic ties to Vancouver would bring some higher yield passengers and I'd also imagine there's more potential for increasing demand on that route. Especially with the 737 max on the way.

But wouldn't Vancouver be more likely to fill the front of the cabin than any of the Hampton Roads airports? Hampton Roads service has been sporadic (Delta recently did it with a regional jet and Airtran did it not all that long ago w/ a 717 I believe), but I imagine that the economic ties to Vancouver would bring some higher yield passengers and I'd also imagine there's more potential for increasing demand on that route. Especially with the 737 max on the way.

I have no clue about the economic ties with British Columbia and Boston.
It is on Massport's radar as well which means that the business community has requested it.

I did get some info that the market is around 90 PDEW now. May very well be the largest unserved international destination.

There are a number of markets on the East Coast that lack non-stop service to Vancouver that are probably at least a decent size - Boston, Miami, Orlando and Washington - Dulles. Dulles has seasonal service on United. Maybe Air Canada will through some 319s and bring back service to Boston and Miami.

Flying JetBlue out of Logan today, security was not a problem, but I am also TSA Pre.

The C to E connector is now open to gates E1A and E1B. Though pretty dead. I did not venture into E1A to see what lies beyond..

Wahlburgers will opewn in that connector, near C.

There are a number of markets on the East Coast that lack non-stop service to Vancouver that are probably at least a decent size - Boston, Miami, Orlando and Washington - Dulles. Dulles has seasonal service on United. Maybe Air Canada will through some 319s and bring back service to Boston and Miami.

Orlando has seasonal service via westjet.

Also I think Barcelona is the biggest unserved market come to think of it. Norwegian needs to get on that. Seoul needs to happen some day but that's up to Korean Airlines for when that happens. Personally I'm hoping for EVA to taipei. I <3 Taiwan.

The Vancouver thing just seems like a no brainer though... same continent, pre clearance. Air Canada just wants us all to hub and spoke through Toronto.

Not sure if this is old news but before my Southwest flight back to Atlanta yesterday, I talked to both a SW agent and a MassPort rep and both confirmed that SW will be leaving Terminal A for Terminal B next year.

Flying JetBlue out of Logan today, security was not a problem, but I am also TSA Pre.

The C to E connector is now open to gates E1A and E1B. Though pretty dead. I did not venture into E1A to see what lies beyond..

Wahlburgers will opewn in that connector, near C.

Just to add, there are concession points near C8 that are built out, but not stocked or ready to open. The Hudson News that is open is forlorn; I doubt they do enough sales to pay the cashier.

From the interactive, E1A and IB end at the cross-connection point to Main E. From a distance, the decor seems more upscale than a typical gate holding area, seemed more like what you would expect in an airline club. (Maybe it is a glass-walled club?, --it looked to be landside of the concourse.) I have no idea who would be flying out of there before the connector is fully open, it is quite a distance from the main part of C.

Who's filling SW's half of A after they leave?

I have no idea if this is true but it would make sense for Alaska Air and Virgin America to operate out of the same terminal to prepare for their merger. The Southwest gates at terminal A make a lot of sense for a combined Alaska/Virgin.

Just to add, there are concession points near C8 that are built out, but not stocked or ready to open. The Hudson News that is open is forlorn; I doubt they do enough sales to pay the cashier.

From the interactive, E1A and IB end at the cross-connection point to Main E. From a distance, the decor seems more upscale than a typical gate holding area, seemed more like what you would expect in an airline club. (Maybe it is a glass-walled club?, --it looked to be landside of the concourse.) I have no idea who would be flying out of there before the connector is fully open, it is quite a distance from the main part of C.

E1A and E1B are still dedicated to El Al, AFAIK.

It's possible that Boston is now the airport that sees the most 787-9 operators.

British Airways
Virgin Atlantic
Japan Airlines
Hainan Airlines
Norwegian

Back