Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

It's possible that Boston is now the airport that sees the most 787-9 operators.

British Airways
Virgin Atlantic
Japan Airlines
Hainan Airlines
Norwegian

I'm pretty sure Norwegian flies a 787-8 to Boston. That could change in the future though.

When did JAL start running the 789 on Narita - Boston?

By the way, I'd like to warn you all to never be tempted to fly Hainan unless your end destination is in China itself- The airline itself is great, China makes a terrible transit point though. I was pretty traumatized by my air travel experience in both Shanghai and Beijing. Chinese laws provide air travelers zero protection, they cancel flights constantly without rescheduling you for days however if you overstay beyond your 24 hour transit visa free period the Chinese government will offer no leniency. Have I already ranted about this here? I learned my lesson, if you are transiting through east Asia from Boston fly to Tokyo, and Hong Kong is good unless beijing continues to tighten their grip on them.

By the way, I'd like to warn you all to never be tempted to fly Hainan unless your end destination is in China itself- The airline itself is great, China makes a terrible transit point though. I was pretty traumatized by my air travel experience in both Shanghai and Beijing. Chinese laws provide air travelers zero protection, they cancel flights constantly without rescheduling you for days however if you overstay beyond your 24 hour transit visa free period the Chinese government will offer no leniency. Have I already ranted about this here? I learned my lesson, if you are transiting through east Asia from Boston fly to Tokyo, and Hong Kong is good unless beijing continues to tighten their grip on them.

I have to second this warning. Use Narita. Transiting in Japan is very competent.

JetBlue had a schedule release yesterday.

Boston-Barbados going to Saturday and Sunday service
Boston-Liberia going back to Saturday only service
Boston-Port Au Prince extended but just weekly for most of January
Boston-New Orleans getting bumped to 2 daily in November
Boston-St Maarten to 4 weekly (1 Friday 2 Saturday 1 Sunday)
Boston-Aruba up to 11 weekly (at least daily with 2-Friday 3-Saturday 2-Sunday)

I wonder if we will see a new destination if DOT doesn't award Boston-Havana.

JetBlue had a schedule release yesterday.

Boston-Barbados going to Saturday and Sunday service
Boston-Liberia going back to Saturday only service
Boston-Port Au Prince extended but just weekly for most of January
Boston-New Orleans getting bumped to 2 daily in November
Boston-St Maarten to 4 weekly (1 Friday 2 Saturday 1 Sunday)
Boston-Aruba up to 11 weekly (at least daily with 2-Friday 3-Saturday 2-Sunday)

I wonder if we will see a new destination if DOT doesn't award Boston-Havana.

Is that an extension for New Orleans? I thought JetBlue had been flying Boston-New Orleans twice daily for a couple of months now.

Is that an extension for New Orleans? I thought JetBlue had been flying Boston-New Orleans twice daily for a couple of months now.

Its from a year over year comparison for winter flying so you are correct - they are extending double daily service.

Logan airport passenger numbers for may are up 7.6% over 2015 passenger numbers. Year to date passenger numbers are 9.1% higher than they were last year. International passenger numbers are up 21% year to date.

https://www.massport.com/media/399633/0516-avstats-airport-traffic-summary.pdf

At this rate, Logan will likely pass Detroit this year and possibly Minneapolis in passenger traffic rankings. Another few years like this and they'll have to think about more substantial expansion plans than what's on the table.

At this rate, Logan will likely pass Detroit this year and possibly Minneapolis in passenger traffic rankings. Another few years like this and they'll have to think about more substantial expansion plans than what's on the table.

It did: http://www.faa.gov/airports/plannin...nary-cy15-commercial-service-enplanements.pdf

It's an interesting change of perspective - the fact that the airport Logan just passed on the enplanements list looks like this:

716270785_debede2cc3_b.jpg

Another way of looking at it is that only 2 million enplanements separate Logan from Newark and Orlando, and only 4 million from Charlotte, Seattle and Houston. Those seem like big numbers until you consider that 13 million enplanements separate Atlanta from LAX, the first and second-place airports on the list.

Logan is essentially the same size as some far more imposing and expensive facilities.

It did: http://www.faa.gov/airports/plannin...nary-cy15-commercial-service-enplanements.pdf

It's an interesting change of perspective - the fact that the airport Logan just passed on the enplanements list looks like this:

716270785_debede2cc3_b.jpg

Another way of looking at it is that only 2 million enplanements separate Logan from Newark and Orlando, and only 4 million from Charlotte, Seattle and Houston. Those seem like big numbers until you consider that 13 million enplanements separate Atlanta from LAX, the first and second-place airports on the list.

Logan is essentially the same size as some far more imposing and expensive facilities.

Interesting - what is the difference between the total passenger statistics that are self reported by the airport authorities (massport link two posts above" and the "enplanements" statistic that is quoted on the link above?

Interesting - what is the difference between the total passenger statistics that are self reported by the airport authorities (massport link two posts above" and the "enplanements" statistic that is quoted on the link above?

Two things. An "enplanement" is someone getting on a plane - enplanements are departing passengers. "Passengers" as reported by Massport includes arriving passengers as well. Also, Massport reports year-to-date and year-over-year (YTD and YOY) numbers on a monthly basis, while the FAA reports only full calendar years.

Two things. An "enplanement" is someone getting on a plane - enplanements are departing passengers. "

Hmmmmm, so enplanement (singular) is a departing passenger while enplanements (plural) are arriving passengers??? Strange if thats the case.

Doesn't enplanements include passengers who remain on an arriving aircraft, and continue on that flight to its next destination? (I'm not sure about passengers where the flight number is the same, but there is a change of gauge.)

Im shocked that Charlotte is so high, and Honolulu so low. Oakland also surprised me.

Also while all the large airports are showing growth, many of the smaller ones are losing out. Too much consolidation.

Hawaii is a heavily tourist destination so passengers are spread out among its 5 main airports (Honolulu, Maui, Kona, Lihue and Hilo). If you add them all up, you're looking at 16,212,312 enplanments for 2015.

I am going to guess Charlotte was USAirways' largest hub before the merger so that's why their numbers are so high. Either way over 50% of that airports traffic is connecting so their numbers should always be high.

Due to Boston's location at the northeastern edge of the country Logan receives very little connecting traffic. As of 2012 (I couldn't find any newer information) Boston was the 10th largest air market in the country when including only origin and destination travel.

1) New York: 245,750 passnegers per day
2) Los Angeles: 184,296
3) Miami: 131,265
4) Chicago: 127,776
5) San Francisco: 120,382
6) Washington DC: 120,201
7) Las Vegas: 91,114
8) Orlando: 89,108
9) Dallas: 83,053
10) Boston: 74,834
11) Houston: 71,060
12) Phoenix: 67,863
13) Atlanta: 61,943
14) Seattle: 60,539
15) Denver: 54,610
16) Philadelphia: 49,178
17) Minneapolis: 46,362
18) San Diego: 45,297
19) Detroit: 43,113
20) Honolulu: 42,039
21) Tampa: 41,991
22) Portland: 32,116
23) Charlotte: 29,540
24) St. Louis: 28,035
25) Salt Lake City: 27,434

http://www.city-data.com/forum/aviation/1889955-largest-air-o-d-markets-us.html

This is a better way to show the amount of tourist and business travelers that go to certain cities, using just passenger numbers makes cities like Atlanta and Charlotte seem much more important than they actually are.

Due to Boston's location at the northeastern edge of the country Logan receives very little connecting traffic.

That's a half truth --- in proportion to its O+D its small but I've read that up to 33% of passengers on International flights are connecting (depends on flight- A JetBlue Boston-Aruba flight has a lot less connections than a Boston-Paris flight on Delta/AirFrance). There were a lot of international connections during American's peak at Logan as well.

Back