Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

Agreed! Picked my mom up from the airport yesterday, and I have NEVER seen traffic that bad. The congestion to just leave the place started somewhere between terminals C and E

Well if you are in Europe when the ban is implemented you will have a real decision to make. Checked luggage or FedEx.

I flew Turkish from IST-BOS a few weeks ago where the ban is already in place.

Turkish, along with the other ME carriers affected, are gate checking electronics and taking pretty good care of them. You basically hand over your electronics to an employee at the gate who writes down what you have on a slip with your name (they check passports), and places your electronics into thick bubble wrapped pouches, seals it with tamper-evident tape, sticks on something similar to a baggage tag, hands you a corresponding claim tag, and places it in a hard suitcase behind them. The bags are then locked and carried by employees from the gate to the hold (We watched them do this). When you land, you proceed to the baggage claim where there's a table and a few airline employees standing in front of the bags. You hand over your claim tag and passport and they give you your electronics back.

Obviously it's not at all ideal. I think the ban is absurd (and frankly, more dangerous than the threat of a terrorist having the newest MacBoom Pro onboard). It wasn't as bad as expected (especially since it allowed us to have our electronics on the first leg of the trip which was an 8 hour flight). It did, however, lengthen the boarding process. And while it definitely alleviated the issues/concerns I had with potential theft or data compromises, it doesn't do anything for business travelers who expect to use the time aboard productively.

I flew Turkish from IST-BOS a few weeks ago where the ban is already in place.

Turkish, along with the other ME carriers affected, are gate checking electronics and taking pretty good care of them. You basically hand over your electronics to an employee at the gate who writes down what you have on a slip with your name (they check passports), and places your electronics into thick bubble wrapped pouches, seals it with tamper-evident tape, sticks on something similar to a baggage tag, hands you a corresponding claim tag, and places it in a hard suitcase behind them. The bags are then locked and carried by employees from the gate to the hold (We watched them do this). When you land, you proceed to the baggage claim where there's a table and a few airline employees standing in front of the bags. You hand over your claim tag and passport and they give you your electronics back.

Obviously it's not at all ideal. I think the ban is absurd (and frankly, more dangerous than the threat of a terrorist having the newest MacBoom Pro onboard). It wasn't as bad as expected (especially since it allowed us to have our electronics on the first leg of the trip which was an 8 hour flight). It did, however, lengthen the boarding process. And while it definitely alleviated the issues/concerns I had with potential theft or data compromises, it doesn't do anything for business travelers who expect to use the time aboard productively.

So what happens if I have an Ipad in my carry on and try and bring it on board? How does the airline know since it sounds like you can take your electronics through security and then it's up to the customer to declare it at the gate?

So what happens if I have an Ipad in my carry on and try and bring it on board? How does the airline know since it sounds like you can take your electronics through security and then it's up to the customer to declare it at the gate?

You go through an extra layer of security at the gate and they check your bags. That's part of the reason it takes longer to board.

Another day, another airline without a remote hot site for their critical data systems.

You'd think that after seeing Delta, Southwest, and others choke with inadequate disaster recovery methods that British Airways would better control their IT assets, but nope.

It's good that the EU has better consumer protection laws for airlines who are this inept.

Tangent:
Boston should release an advertising campaign internationally: Boston, this is anti-trump country.

We should make lemonade from these lemons damn it. And I want our new international service to continue thriving.

Tangent:
Boston should release an advertising campaign internationally: Boston, this is anti-trump country.

We should make lemonade from these lemons damn it. And I want our new international service to continue thriving.

No.

And lets not bring national politics back into this forum.

Yeah, I know, it's hard though because there is a huge degree of disdain being levied toward us worldwide. Simultaneously, the trickle of new flight announcements has stopped. It's hard tip toeing around politics when there's a strong business case to be made.

Simultaneously, the trickle of new flight announcements has stopped..

Well you can only add so much and also look what TF Green has received in the past year: SATA, Norwegian, and now Frontier to Orlando and Denver.

Also- This is the time of year where we probably won't hear much anyways except for a new Caribbean addition from JetBlue (which hinges on them being awarded the Boston-Havana frequency if they do not get it they put the plane on Boston-Antigua).

Lets see what happens in September and October for any possible new additions.

No.

And lets not bring national politics back into this forum.

Also- This is the time of year where we probably won't hear much anyways except for a new Caribbean addition from JetBlue (which hinges on them being awarded the Boston-Havana frequency if they do not get it they put the plane on Boston-Antigua).s.

Rumors are that Trump will roll back the Cuba policy to the Bush era. That means no more Havana*.

You cant ignore politics.

*Rumors are from a right-wing tabloid, so dont eat too much salt

Tangent:

On a somewhat related (but certainly less political) note, I was in Baltimore last week and the city of Austin had an air stream set-up in the inner harbor (think Faneuil Hall) that was providing maps, information, and promoting Austin to tourists. Perhaps we should look at similar out of the box type promotional efforts but focus on overseas locales that have new direct air service and populations that would value what our area has to offer.

Logan could be getting competition on Boston-Santo Domingo.

PAWA Dominicana is rumored on a.net to launch Boston sometime in 2018.

Delta is adding service to Pittsburgh starting in October.

Delta is adding service to Pittsburgh starting in October.

No surprise! Its two daily weekdays once daily weekends. Weekend flights seem timed to feed Transatlantic in Logan.

Also Delta is doubling Cancun service for all of winter (Jan-April) now with Saturday and Sunday flights. They were running daily for Xmas/New Years in previous additions.

No surprise! Its two daily weekdays once daily weekends. Weekend flights seem timed to feed Transatlantic in Logan.

Also Delta is doubling Cancun service for all of winter (Jan-April) now with Saturday and Sunday flights. They were running daily for Xmas/New Years in previous additions.

On top of Pittsburgh and Cancun, I've heard Delta's adding a lot more flights come September. No specifics but sounds like a decent increase in flights out of Logan.

On top of Pittsburgh and Cancun, I've heard Delta's adding a lot more flights come September. No specifics but sounds like a decent increase in flights out of Logan.

It's a saturated route but Chicago is the biggest hole in their network from Logan.

It's going to be interesting to see how they finagle everything over in A. Southwest occupies what? 5 or 6 gates? They won't be leaving A until all of the work in Terminal B is done come the end of 2018.

It's a saturated route but Chicago is the biggest hole in their network from Logan.

Chicago and DC are their two biggest holes. Both of those cities are indeed saturated. It will be interesting to see what they do there. They recently added Seattle - O'Hare and that's a market that already had 3 carriers on it, much like Boston - O'Hare. Never mind the Southwest service to Midway.

Is this on top of the recent additions such as Austin,KC, Buffalo and Norfolk?

Back