Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

Is this on top of the recent additions such as Austin,KC, Buffalo and Norfolk?

I was not aware those were made public already (turns out its been public since April). The additions I've heard about do include Austin, KC, Buffalo, and Norfolk, and I believe that's all of them, at least as of right now.

I'm hopeful about BOS-DCA and BOS-ORD but doubtful they'll be added in the near future. There have been rumors going around for DCA the past year but they seem like only rumors.

I was not aware those were made public already (turns out its been public since April). The additions I've heard about do include Austin, KC, Buffalo, and Norfolk, and I believe that's all of them, at least as of right now.

I'm hopeful about BOS-DCA and BOS-ORD but doubtful they'll be added in the near future. There have been rumors going around for DCA the past year but they seem like only rumors.

Delta added another one for the 4th.

Boston-New Orleans Sat/Sun only service starts 2/10/18 on E175 aircraft

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38...elta-adds-boston-new-orleans-service-in-1q18/

Another carrier will be flying to Paris - CDG. On May 2, 2018 Norweigan Longhaul will begin non-stop service from Boston to Paris with 4 weekly flights.

Service will run on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday.

I wonder if/when they announce seasonal service to Barcelona.

Laptop ban has been lifted for Turkish, Emirates, and Etihad. Sounds like Qatar's ban will be lifted soon too.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/wo...op-ban-list/9IoXQtfcnVayyIIZwwGE7L/story.html

I wonder if this will entice Emirates to bring back their second daily? Or, if Etihad ever wanted to get into BOS, launching a route now would all but ensure that Emirates never goes back to double daily.

I can’t see Etiahd entering the Boston market anytime soon. Between the daily flight to Doha and the daily flight to Dubai, that should be enough (for now anyways) to handle all of the traffic to/from India. It would be nice if Emirates sent the 380 on their flight to make use of the 3 expanded gates Massport had built. As of right now only British Airways sends theirs and only what, 3 times a week? Massport should have built E10-12 with 3 jet bridges, 2 at the lower level and 1 at the upper level to allow for dual operations on a plane like the 77W – this is how LAX has their 380 gates setup.

I can’t see Etiahd entering the Boston market anytime soon. Between the daily flight to Doha and the daily flight to Dubai, that should be enough (for now anyways) to handle all of the traffic to/from India. It would be nice if Emirates sent the 380 on their flight to make use of the 3 expanded gates Massport had built. As of right now only British Airways sends theirs and only what, 3 times a week? Massport should have built E10-12 with 3 jet bridges, 2 at the lower level and 1 at the upper level to allow for dual operations on a plane like the 77W – this is how LAX has their 380 gates setup.

In many airports with dual jet brides certain operators don't use the second loading bridge, despite the fact that it can facilitate an on-time departure and provide a better experience for passengers seated in the forward cabin(s). Different certificate holders (operators) have different procedures of who closes the aircraft door (F/As vs passenger service agent meeting flight) and often don't want the added complexity of this at different stations and therefore don't use the additional bridge. In a perfect world it would be consistently used and would simply be relayed to the crew in their pre-departure briefing and paperwork/tablet.

Should be year round. Some of us Bostonians wanna try Whistler.

Hopefully Air Canada is happy with its performance and they not only bring it back in 2018, but extend its run too.

Isn't this an issue of plane availability? My understanding was that Air Canada's fleet is busy in the winter taking Canadians south to avoid the winter. There's less demand for these "snowbird" flights in the summer, so that frees up the planes to fly to places like Boston (in cruise season, too).

The Boston route makes sense when jets are plentiful in the summer, but it doesn't justify expanding the fleet for the winter.

Emirates has officially opened their Boston lounge
https://www.emirates.com/media-centre/emirates-extends-its-global-network-of-dedicated-airport-lounges-with-new-lounge-at-boston-logan-international-airport

Direct access to gate E11.

They spent 6.7 million USD on it - goes to show that they are very committed to serving Boston in the long term.

I hope so. I feel like their loads haven't been stellar, and while I know there was a lot that went into the decision, it was disheartening to see them cut one of the daily flights when the laptop ban went into place. On the other hand, they're notorious for flying giant empty planes all over the place. In April I was at Dar Es Salaam waiting for my flight to Istanbul on Turkish (737-8 with about 40 passengers... I didn't hate it) and I watched a grand total of about 30 people board the Emirates 777 to Dubai. It's amazing that they can do that. It's also probably why U.S. carriers feel that they can't compete.

Anyone know how the partnership with B6 is working for Emirates at BOS?

So - transatlantic service just got a bit more crowded:

A new destination in UK, a new London airport, and another Paris-De Gaulle flight.

The airline: Primera Air based in Iceland but has Danish/Latvian registration.

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38...era-air-to-start-us-scheduled-service-in-s18/

All flights on A320neo's

Birmingham – Boston eff 22JUN18 4 weekly
PF053 BHX1715 – 2015BOS 32B x246
PF054 BOS2145 – 0930+1BHX 32B x246

London Stansted – Boston eff 18MAY18 4 weekly
PF043 STN1700 – 2010BOS 32B x246
PF044 BOS2140 – 0930+1STN 32B x246

Paris CDG – Boston eff 21JUN18 3 weekly
PF023 CDG1730 – 2005BOS 32B 246
PF024 BOS2135 – 1045+1CDG 32B 246

Boston continues to add international service - Terminal E is going to be busting at the seams. Good thing Massport is only going to take 4 years to add new gates.

Non-stop service between Boston and three London airports - impressive stuff!

So - transatlantic service just got a bit more crowded:

A new destination in UK, a new London airport, and another Paris-De Gaulle flight.

The airline: Primera Air based in Iceland but has Danish/Latvian registration.

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38...era-air-to-start-us-scheduled-service-in-s18/

All flights on A320neo's

Birmingham – Boston eff 22JUN18 4 weekly
PF053 BHX1715 – 2015BOS 32B x246
PF054 BOS2145 – 0930+1BHX 32B x246

London Stansted – Boston eff 18MAY18 4 weekly
PF043 STN1700 – 2010BOS 32B x246
PF044 BOS2140 – 0930+1STN 32B x246

Paris CDG – Boston eff 21JUN18 3 weekly
PF023 CDG1730 – 2005BOS 32B 246
PF024 BOS2135 – 1045+1CDG 32B 246

I just looked them up, they appear to be comparable to Norwegian and some of the other LCCs for the most part. I like that they have Premium Economy on their narrow body jets. However, their Premium Economy doesn't seem to be as good a value as what you get on Norwegian. I did a test itinerary, and it's $1200+ ($500 out, $700+ return) and that gets you a seat, a meal (booze is extra), a bottle of water, and 1 checked and 1 carry-on bag. They claim extra legroom, but there's no word on what the pitch is. No expedited security or lounge access. No in flight entertainment either.

Norwegian's Premium is typically less (you can easily fund under $1k r/t between LGW and BOS) and includes meals and beer/wine/spirits (though they're not great meals), 2 checked bags, a carry-on, priority access in the security line, and lounge access at LGW (and I believe a few other airports). Not to mention 46 inches of pitch is absolutely massive when compared to Premium Economy on most carriers. The seats are comfortable (bigger, leg rest, and more recline than typical premium economy), and the IFE is top notch.

We'll see when service starts, but right now, if price is even comparable, I'd fly Norwegian to London or Paris over PrimeraAir. Birmingham is an interesting addition.

Delta to start more new, low-risk weekend seasonal flying:

Delta Airlines in the weekend of 23JUL17’s schedule update opened bookings for additional 3 routes from Boston, scheduled to operate as Saturday-only flight. Planned additional routes, service launch date and schedule as follow.

Boston – Miami eff 23DEC17 1 weekly A319
DL1644 BOS0800 – 1140MIA 319 6
DL1644 MIA1230 – 1545BOS 319 6

Boston – Charleston SC eff 03MAR18 1 weekly with GoJet CRJ700
DL6186 BOS0800 – 1035CHS CR7 6
DL6186 CHS1115 – 1320BOS CR7 6

Boston – Savannah eff 03MAR18 1 weekly with GoJet CRJ700
DL6219 BOS0800 – 1100SAV CR7 6
DL6219 SAV1140 – 1405BOS CR7 6

Overall, nothing too earth shattering here. It is funny to see DL take a stab at MIA, particularly after nearly a decade of hearing from an interwebs legend that after the NW transaction DL would trounce AA at MIA...can't make this stuff up. DL has never been a big force in Dade County, sure historically FLL and to a lesser degree PBI have been DL strongholds (consistent with the rest of the state) but most everything they've tried from MIA over the years hasn't stuck.

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38...nal-saturday-only-service-from-boston-in-w17/

Delta to start more new, low-risk weekend seasonal flying:

Overall, nothing too earth shattering here. It is funny to see DL take a stab at MIA, particularly after nearly a decade of hearing from an interwebs legend that after the NW transaction DL would trounce AA at MIA...can't make this stuff up. DL has never been a big force in Dade County, sure historically FLL and to a lesser degree PBI have been DL strongholds (consistent with the rest of the state) but most everything they've tried from MIA over the years hasn't stuck.

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38...nal-saturday-only-service-from-boston-in-w17/

MIA is going to be hard for Delta. A lot of AA's strength in MIA is the connecting service on into Latin America. MIA is not just a destination, it is a major service hub.

MIA is going to be hard for Delta. A lot of AA's strength in MIA is the connecting service on into Latin America. MIA is not just a destination, it is a major service hub.

Well aware, I formerly worked for the company...

Back