Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

is the Delta Savannah/Logan route new? I could have sworn I flew nonstop on Delta from Logan to Savannah a few years ago.

is the Delta Savannah/Logan route new? I could have sworn I flew nonstop on Delta from Logan to Savannah a few years ago.

Dunno about Delta, but I definitely flew direct to Savannah on JetBlue in March of 2014.

Delta via ComAir ran BOS-SAV in mid 2000's. 2006 it started.

In other news, the local business community in Louisville is putting together money to entice service to Boston and Los Angeles. I think Delta will take the bait.

http://www.courier-journal.com/stor...-regional-airlift-development-form/505323001/

Didn't Delta used to fly to Louisville? In any event, they already carry the most Boston-Louisville passengers per Q4 2016. I agree Delta is the most likely candidate.

MIA is going to be hard for Delta. A lot of AA's strength in MIA is the connecting service on into Latin America. MIA is not just a destination, it is a major service hub.

I'm willing to bet they send at least 100-125 people a day to Miami via Atlanta. They will have no problem filling this once a week flight especially for cruise traffic.

Speaking of Delta, on Thursday, Delta and China Eastern each bought a 10 percent stake in Air France / KLM. And Air France / KLM took at 31 percent stake in Virgin Atlantic.

Delta already held a 49 percent stake in Virgin Atlantic, a 49% stake in AeroMexico, and 9.5% stake in Gol.

I'm willing to bet they send at least 100-125 people a day to Miami via Atlanta. They will have no problem filling this once a week flight especially for cruise traffic.

I am sure they can fill a flight.

I was more talking about the claim that Delta made that they were going to trounce American in Miami. Filling one flight is hardly "trouncing".

Speaking of Delta, on Thursday, Delta and China Eastern each bought a 10 percent stake in Air France / KLM. And Air France / KLM took at 31 percent stake in Virgin Atlantic.

Delta already held a 49 percent stake in Virgin Atlantic, a 49% stake in AeroMexico, and 9.5% stake in Gol.

It appears Delta and Air France-KLM want to get rid of the man who is closely associated with the Virgin name from his first airline.

NY Senator Chuck Schumer wants JetBlue to fly Boston-Syracuse. He got his way before with Albany/Syracuse-Florida flights so who knows.

http://auburnpub.com/blogs/eye_on_n...cle_9619921e-7df2-11e7-a7e3-0b4e24ba3624.html

Currently the only direct SYR-BOS service is 1 round-trip on American Eagle (Air Wisconsin) with a 50 seat CRJ200, weekdays only, although there is plenty of 1 stop service going through other hubs.

I'm skeptical there's demand for more given that AA's never opted to run more flights/bigger planes on the route.

Currently the only direct SYR-BOS service is 1 round-trip on American Eagle (Air Wisconsin) with a 50 seat CRJ200, weekdays only, although there is plenty of 1 stop service going through other hubs.

I'm skeptical there's demand for more given that AA's never opted to run more flights/bigger planes on the route.

The route has the schedule and capacity that it does precisely because the route is tailored for local (BOS) point of sale and has attractive yields. While legacy AA was big on cutting non-hub flying in the 2009-2011 period (Arpey's "Cornerstone flight 2020" strategy) leading up to bankruptcy, legacy US (new management) is more content letting routes like this stand on their own two legs if the yields are attractive.

No way this is a two carrier market, but lower average fares on B6 may stimulate more demand (taking people off buses, students from driving, interline int'l connections, etc).

The route has the schedule and capacity that it does precisely because the route is tailored for local (BOS) point of sale and has attractive yields. While legacy AA was big on cutting non-hub flying in the 2009-2011 period (Arpey's "Cornerstone flight 2020" strategy) leading up to bankruptcy, legacy US (new management) is more content letting routes like this stand on their own two legs if the yields are attractive.

No way this is a two carrier market, but lower average fares on B6 may stimulate more demand (taking people off buses, students from driving, interline int'l connections, etc).

Good analysis - I think B6 would do ROC first if any other upstate NY service is to be added (larger metro) and that airport is also begging for it.

Surprised Jet Blue doesn't serve Burlington, VT non-stop from Boston. Does any airline fly Bos/BTV nonstop?

Surprised Jet Blue doesn't serve Burlington, VT non-stop from Boston. Does any airline fly Bos/BTV nonstop?

Nope. I'm going to a wedding up there in the fall and I was looking to see if anybody served that route (have to meet up with someone there, and would rather not take 2 cars). The answer is no.

I think it's too short/too small a market for B6. It's really probably only possible on a +/- 50 seat plane at best. the CRJ700 would make sense. Or ATR-72 or Dash 8 might be the biggest a carrier would do on the route. I'd like to see it too.

Nope. I'm going to a wedding up there in the fall and I was looking to see if anybody served that route (have to meet up with someone there, and would rather not take 2 cars). The answer is no.

I think it's too short/too small a market for B6. It's really probably only possible on a +/- 50 seat plane at best. the CRJ700 would make sense. Or ATR-72 or Dash 8 might be the biggest a carrier would do on the route. I'd like to see it too.

There are plenty of buses that serve this route. You still don't need to drive.

There are plenty of buses that serve this route. You still don't need to drive.

Oh I know, I didn't say I couldn't get there at all without driving. But I'd rather spend 1/2 the time door to door by flying if it's available.

Anyway, I wonder if this will impact the Boston route:

Struggling German airline Air Berlin filed for insolvency on Tuesday after years of losses caught up with it and shareholder Etihad withdrew funding, with rival Lufthansa saying it was in talks to take over parts of its business.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/15/air-berlin-insolvency-etihad-withdraws-support.html

Air Berlin filed for bankruptcy yesterday. German government has loaned it money so operations don't cease immediately. Seems headed for liquidation with Ryanair charging that Lufthansa is seeking to devour the more lucrative routes.

Nothing overly noteworthy, but the seasonal AA 757 service to CDG will NOT be returning for the 2018 season. For years many on the interwebs had predicted it being cut and it has managed to come back year after year. It was never a great performer, but then again it is easy to make money flying to Europe during the summer but between the 757 fleet draw down and glut of overcapacity in the transatlantic makes good sense to throw in the towel.

Back