Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

From the airliners Boston thread: Turkish Airlines increasing Boston-Istanbul to 10 weekly for summer 2022.

The three extra flights will be Tuesday Thursday and Saturday beginning May 17th.

BOS-IST 12:50pm - 5:20 am +1
IST-BOS 7:40am-11:20am

From the airliners Boston thread: Turkish Airlines increasing Boston-Istanbul to 10 weekly for summer 2022.

The three extra flights will be Tuesday Thursday and Saturday beginning May 17th.

BOS-IST 12:50pm - 5:20 am +1
IST-BOS 7:40am-11:20am

Turkish across the board is increasing services to the US. ORD going to double daily, Miami double daily, LAX double daily, DFW up to daily, Dulles double daily, San Francisco double daily, Atlanta up to daily and Houston up to 10x weekly. They'll be at 14-16 flights a day to the US depending on the day.

Haven't checked this thread in a while... wasn't expecting such positive news out of multiple airlines!

I'd be interested in seeing business traveler numbers that the article above indicates are trending upwards. That seems like the easiest "this could be a teams-call instead" replacement over a hotel and Delta's ticket prices which, based on their quality > quantity stance, seem like they are going to trend upward as well with their new level of services being offered.

We could also note the cuts Southwest has made to Boston - Milwaukee, Kansas City, Columbus, Indianapolis, Dallas, Houston, Austin, and Atlanta have all been cut. These are routes that were in operation within the last 2 years. It will be interesting to see if they bring back Dallas. The others I doubt will return.

AA is changing its daily Worcester - Philly route to JFK in January:

I've been playing around with this a little in my head, and I actually think BOS Logan landing and gate fees may be a little too low to incentivise the ULCC carriers to go to ORH and the relievers instead of Logan. If you compare the service footprint of the ULCCs (Frontier, Allegiant, Spirit, Sun Country, even SW) at the secondary/tertiary airports of major cities compared to the primary, they tend to dominate. BWI instead of DCA/IAD, Stewart and Long Island Macarthur instead of JFK/LGA/EWR, Trenton instead of PHL, MDW/Rockford instead of ORD, San Jose/Oakland vs SFO, etc.

The Boston area seems be an exception, where the cheaper distant secondary reliever airports don't see more ULCC service than Logan. PVD, MAN, ORH, etc. Perhaps higher average fares make it worthwhile, idk.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing for Boston visitors / residents, or the Boston economy, mind you - it's just curious that Allegiant for example found it better to pay Logan rates vs continue at worcester, and that the carriers that have gone are the majors and not the ULCCs, given that the worcester runway is, as I recall long enough for a 737/a320 type. Logan doesn't exactly have (in a pre pandemic world) a particular excess of capacity either. That JetBlue has made non feeder Ft. Lauderdale and Orlando work, speaks to the fact that Allegiant and the ULCCs could have too.

Last edited:
I think most of the airlines that Massport has lured to ORH in recent years agreed to fly from there as a concession that were part of some negotiations with regards to expanding at Logan, so the rivalry between JetBlue and Delta at Logan has benefited Worcester.
I doubt any would have come to ORH if it wasn’t operated by Massport. It’s just not profitable (yet), except perhaps the Ft. Lauderdale and Orlando routes. Three daily flights to JFK will make me have a second look at flying out of Worcester now. So far it always has been longer/ more inconvenient/ more expensive than Logan despite living 2 miles from the airport.

I've been playing around with this a little in my head, and I actually think BOS Logan landing and gate fees may be a little too low to incentivise the ULCC carriers to go to ORH and the relievers instead of Logan. If you compare the service footprint of the ULCCs (Frontier, Allegiant, Spirit, Sun Country, even SW) at the secondary/tertiary airports of major cities compared to the primary, they tend to dominate. BWI instead of DCA/IAD, Stewart and Long Island Macarthur instead of JFK/LGA/EWR, Trenton instead of PHL, MDW/Rockford instead of ORD, San Jose/Oakland vs SFO, etc.

The Boston area seems be an exception, where the cheaper distant secondary reliever airports don't see more ULCC service than Logan. PVD, MAN, ORH, etc. Perhaps higher average fares make it worthwhile, idk.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing for Boston visitors / residents, or the Boston economy, mind you - it's just curious that Allegiant for example found it better to pay Logan rates vs continue at worcester, and that the carriers that have gone are the majors and not the ULCCs, given that the worcester runway is, as I recall long enough for a 737/a320 type. Logan doesn't exactly have (in a pre pandemic world) a particular excess of capacity either. That JetBlue has made non feeder Ft. Lauderdale and Orlando work, speaks to the fact that Allegiant and the ULCCs could have too.

Any idea if they've managed to get a hang on the fog problem. I know for a while ORH's tendency to get fogged in made it operationally less-than-ideal, and I recall them planning some kind of instrument system(s) to help alleviate that operational drawback, I just can't remember if that ever got done or not. (Wasn't the only reason for the paucity of service, but it definitely didn't help.)

A little off topic, but why is Worcester’s airport designation ORH and not something like WOR?

Any idea if they've managed to get a hang on the fog problem. I know for a while ORH's tendency to get fogged in made it operationally less-than-ideal, and I recall them planning some kind of instrument system(s) to help alleviate that operational drawback, I just can't remember if that ever got done or not. (Wasn't the only reason for the paucity of service, but it definitely didn't help.)
They installed a CAT IIIb ILS (Instrument Landing System), with a new jughandle taxiway that came online back in 2018. The IIIb means that it allows for complete autoland, but that also presumes the aircraft being so equipped as well. The e190s/320s that JetBlue flies can take advantage, the e145 that AA was/is can't. Don't know if they ever actually published updated diversion rates after they installed it though.

A little off topic, but why is Worcester’s airport designation ORH and not something like WOR?
The reason I've been told by a pilot friend is that the FCC restricted radio codes beginning with K and W to radio stations. think WGBH, WCVB, etc. Moving down "Worcester" ORC and most of the the other ORx codes were taken, so they settled on ORH. ORD is O'Hare, etc. Not to say there isn't any overlap at all; evidently ORE to the FAA is Orange MA, to the IATA it's Orleans France.

Last edited:
The reason I've been told by a pilot friend is that the FCC restricted radio codes beginning with K and W to radio stations. think WGBH, WCVB, etc. Moving down "Worcester" ORC and most of the the other ORx codes were taken, so they settled on ORH. ORD is O'Hare, etc. Not to say there isn't any overlap at all; evidently ORE to the FAA is Orange MA, to the IATA it's Orleans France.

Pretty much the same reason why Newark Liberty is EWR; the "N" prefix was, if I recall correctly, restricted to the Navy.

Pretty much the same reason why Newark Liberty is EWR; the "N" prefix was, if I recall correctly, restricted to the Navy.
It's not a bad bet that it was between that and the fact it's the prefix for all US aircraft registration numbers and thus their default callsign. (It affected Norfolk too, which is ORF to tie it back to why ORH)

It's not a bad bet that it was between that and the fact it's the prefix for all US aircraft registration numbers and thus their default callsign. (It affected Norfolk too, which is ORF to tie it back to why ORH)
N is also the third (after W and K) and very rarely used starting letter on US broadcast call signs.

Last edited:

Back