Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

For those who enjoy seeing 4 engine planes at Boston, Lufthansa is going run the daily Munich service on an A340-600 for the winter 2023/24 season. Starting October 28, the A340-600 will fly the route daily, replacing the previously schedule A350-900.

great demand, more than what the 359 can offer, sad it's not enough to keep the A388

For those who enjoy seeing 4 engine planes at Boston, Lufthansa is going run the daily Munich service on an A340-600 for the winter 2023/24 season. Starting October 28, the A340-600 will fly the route daily, replacing the previously schedule A350-900.

Is this a testament to expected demand, or is it more about operational expenses? It's cheaper to send the A340-600 to BOS than to ORD, DFW, DEN, etc. So I could see them choosing to fly it to BOS and send the far more efficient plane to further destinations.

Is this a testament to expected demand, or is it more about operational expenses? It's cheaper to send the A340-600 to BOS than to ORD, DFW, DEN, etc. So I could see them choosing to fly it to BOS and send the far more efficient plane to further destinations.

It’s probably also about maintaining year round first class service.

Newark Surpasses JFK As The USA's #1 Airport For European Destinations (simpleflying.com)

Noted in this article is that Boston will have non-stop service to 20 European destinations this summer season and that ranks Boston 5th in the US in terms of number of European cities served non-stop. Boston has matched its pre-COVID number of 20 destinations in the summer 2019 season. London is served to both its main airports.

London - Heathrow, London - Gatwick, Edinburgh, Shannon, Dublin, Reykjavik, Ponta Delgada, Terceira, Lisbon, Madrid, Barcelona, Paris - Charles de Gaulle, Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Munich, Frankfurt, Zurich, Rome, Athens, and Istanbul round out the non-stop destinations. Bolded destinations have at least 2 carriers flying the summer 2023 season.

It will be interesting to see how this list changes over the next 3-4 years. JetBlue is getting more planes capable or reaching Europe and will undoubtedly expand their network. Austrian has signaled their intention to begin non-stop service to Vienna, but COVID ended that. Some rumblings about LOT Polish wanting to start service to Warsaw, but nothing has developed.

It will be interesting to see how this list changes over the next 3-4 years. JetBlue is getting more planes capable or reaching Europe and will undoubtedly expand their network. Austrian has signaled their intention to begin non-stop service to Vienna, but COVID ended that. Some rumblings about LOT Polish wanting to start service to Warsaw, but nothing has developed.

I'd be interested to see if they add Paris. While there's technically two carriers on that route, Delta and Air France, in effect there's really only one given that both of them are part of the Delta-Air France-KLM-Virgin Atlantic joint venture, so they're economically operating as one unit rather than meaningfully competing with each other, which could be a market opportunity for B6. (The same phenomenon is true with Amsterdam for the moment, but JetBlue's already announced they'll be breaking the JV's monopoly).

B6 anlready announced Paris before Amsterdam. Having those three destinations across the Atlantic will be great and hopefully push down fares from the legacy carriers.

And that's what I get for not doing enough research 🙃

It's interesting (and about time) to have a carrier like JetBlue challenging the legacies on those routes.

It's worth noting that while JetBlue signaled their intention to begin non-stop service to Paris - CDG, they have yet to announce firm plans and make tickets available for sale yet. I think they said something along the lines of "service will begin later this year" as part of the announcement that JFK tickets were going on sale a couple of months back.

Delta Airlines is set to begin non-stop service to Mexico City. Aeromexico has tried the route twice and failed. JetBlue Airways tried it and failed. Aeromexico's most recent service was canceled at the end of 2018. Boston regains non-stop service to the most populous city in North America.

Daily Boeing 757-200 service begins on December 21, 2023.

Boston to Mexico City - departs at 7:50 am arrives at 12:55 pm
Mexico City to Boston - departs at 2:00 pm arrives at 7:51 pm

Last edited:

Delta Airlines is set to begin non-stop service to Mexico City. Aeromexico has tried the route twice and failed. JetBlue Airways tried it and failed. Aeromexico's most recent service was canceled at the end of 2018. Boston regains non-stop service to the most populous city in North America.

Daily Boeing 757-200 service begins on December 21, 2023.

Boston to Mexico City - departs at 7:50 am arrives at 12:55 pm
Mexico City to Boston - departs at 2:00 pm arrives at 7:51 pm

I've flown BOS-MEX twice now, both times on Delta flights connecting at JFK. The first time, Aerommexico direct was an option, but IIRC the flight times to Mexico were incredibly weird.

I've flown BOS-MEX twice now, both times on Delta flights connecting at JFK. The first time, Aerommexico direct was an option, but IIRC the flight times to Mexico were incredibly weird.

The timings sucked, I think. And while it may not have been an issue for you, the Aeromexico nonstop was priced something like 2-3x higher than DL (connecting at JFK) or on UA (connecting at IAH). So on the handful of occasions I flew between BOS-MEX, I opted for the connecting flights even when the nonstop was available. I’ll usually pay more for the most direct route, but the timing and price gap on Aeromexico made it an exception. The Delta timings look pretty good.

Air Canada has adjusted its schedule for their seasonal service to Vancouver. Seasonal daily service is going to run from June 16 - September 3 (a shorter season than last year) on B738Max equipment.

The new timings are as follows:

1683730678764.png

Prior to this, it was a morning departure from Vancouver and a afternoon departure from Boston.

Blah, glad there's a direct flight to Western Canada but don't love being forced onto a redeye coming back, especially on a cramped Max

The seasonal service to Vancouver should be in the winter for us skiers! This must be Alaska cruise traffic.
Now that we have 2 seasonal flights I suspect in the next few years we'll have a year-round flight. It could be a great A220-300 route, so both JetBlue and Air Canada have the equipment (Delta does too, but they don't even serve YVR-ATL, and for now that plane doesn't serve BOS)

The seasonal service to Vancouver should be in the winter for us skiers! This must be Alaska cruise traffic.

I am sure it will carry a good amount of cruise traffic, flights to Seattle also do that too. I'd also guess that there will be tourist traffic in both directions. People from BC coming to visit Boston and New England and people from this region heading out to visit BC.

Air Canada will now match JetBlue on the YVR-BOS leg in that they'll both be red-eye flights.

and people from this region heading out to visit BC

Anecdotal only for sure, but I rarely hear about people from around here going to BC in the summer for non-Alaska cruise travel. But I do often hear about people from the Boston area going out there to ski or for summer cruises. Maybe it's just the company I keep.

Back