Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

They must be trying to stimulate leisure travel. Porter is not really a Low Cost Carrier.

I just checked a sample weekend in Toronto for mid-Summer. 7/18-7/21/24

Porter - $503
United coded Air Canada - $476
Air Canada $ 497
Lynx - $265 - includes 35 each way add-on for carry-on.

I did the reverse for Toronto originating

Porter - $423
United coded Air Canada - $444
Air Canada $ 467
Lynx - $283 includes 35 each way add-on for carry-on.

Porter is awesome. If you have business or activities in central Toronto, the convenience can't be beat. I would agree that Porter is more focused on business travelers that are heading to central Toronto. When I need to go to downtown Toronto, Porter is my first choice.

Looks like Norse Atlantic will not be returning to Boston for the NS24 season. Both Boston and Washington - Dulles will see their service not return.

The surprising thing to me is how long it took them to officially cancel it. I don't think they even operated 30 flights in the less than two months the flight operated, and the season ended up getting shortened even further than they were planning.
United dropped their LHR flight and Virgin added one. Delta has also downgauged to A332 year-round.

As a semi regular traveler to BLR I’d far rather connect somewhere else.

If you’re not going to DEL, I think it’s far easier to connect in one of the ME3 hubs. They’re all very modern with easy transfers.

AI connects to more cities from DEL than the ME carriers, and are usually cheaper.

Just back from BOS-MUC-BLR-TRV and v.v, was a lot cheaper than the ME3 one stop options..

Air Canada is ending its seasonal service to Vancouver.

Air Canada is ending its seasonal service to Vancouver.
I'm surprised that it's so hard to make this route work. You'd think there'd be a good mix of leisure and business travel between the two.

I'm surprised that it's so hard to make this route work. You'd think there'd be a good mix of leisure and business travel between the two.

I wonder how much JBU entering the market affected them.

They should try it seasonally for winter and not summer. I know you have some Alaska cruise traffic but I rarely hear about Boston family or friends visiting Vancouver or BC in the summer.

They should try it seasonally for winter and not summer. I know you have some Alaska cruise traffic but I rarely hear about Boston family or friends visiting Vancouver or BC in the summer.
I'm highly doubtful people want to visit Vancouver when it's not much warmer than Boston and basically every other day rains, as opposed to in summer when it's (Generally) cooler than Boston, not rainy, and you're in the PNW so outdoorsy stuff is cheap, gorgeous, and plentiful.

I'm highly doubtful people want to visit Vancouver when it's not much warmer than Boston and basically every other day rains, as opposed to in summer when it's (Generally) cooler than Boston, not rainy, and you're in the PNW so outdoorsy stuff is cheap, gorgeous, and plentiful.
So you're not a skier? People fly non-stop to plenty of places from Boston that have terrible weather in the winter. There are so many places to travel to in the summer that I rarely hear of New Englander's going to British Columbia. And Banff and surrounding areas are absolutely gorgeous. If Bozeman, Hayden, Jackson, WY etc. work for seasonal winter non-stop flights, I don't see why Vancouver can't be similar. Ever seen how much that JetBlue non-stop to BZN from BOS costs?

For Air Canada, people need to also think about inbound tourism from Canada to Boston, Massachusetts and places like Coastal Maine and Newport.

Anecdotally, both times I have been to Vancouver and British Columbia were in the late Spring/early Summer. Beautiful city and beautiful region. I do know of a few big skiers that have made trips out to Whistler and Revelstoke.

So you're not a skier? People fly non-stop to plenty of places from Boston that have terrible weather in the winter. There are so many places to travel to in the summer that I rarely hear of New Englander's going to British Columbia. And Banff and surrounding areas are absolutely gorgeous. If Bozeman, Hayden, Jackson, WY etc. work for seasonal winter non-stop flights, I don't see why Vancouver can't be similar. Ever seen how much that JetBlue non-stop to BZN from BOS costs?
Jackson is a summer seasonal flight, unfortunately.

Chiming in here as someone who's been to all these places before and skis.

Bozeman, Jackson, Hayden - you're basically flying directly into the community you are recreating in. You may even be able to avoid renting a car, you certainly can avoid any lengthy drives and winter weather/travel issues to get there. All 3 are a substantial hike from the nearest airport hub with noticeably cheaper flights. Hayden less so, but part of the sell there is that you get to avoid I-70 traffic jams, which can be pretty significant variables, particularly if you're starting/ending your vacation on Fri-Sun.

SLC is often fairly overpriced itself in winter with people heading to UT resorts anyway, so you're often not even saving much money there for your 5-7 hours of driving and significant weather risks to get to Bozeman/Jackson. And any other hub is 8-10 hrs of driving without weather issues.

---------

Vancouver has to compete with Seattle being 2.5hrs away via relatively low weather problem roads (and land border customs often being less annoying to people than by air) and the US generally having significantly lower airfares, which is going to pull some of the demand away there. I have flown into SEA before to ski Whistler.

A quick glance at airfares in the next month is that you're often looking at nearly double the price per person to fly into YVR (Vancouver) vs SEA. Fly out with a family of 4 and you could be talking $1k+ in additional airfare to save yourself 2.5hrs of additional driving each way - at least some of which would often have been eaten up by how much slower the air customs experience often is vs land.

More notes:

- YYC (Calgary) is a much better major hub to pick for Revelstoke/Banff/Kicking Horse - You don't fly into YVR to ski or travel there to begin with.

- When it comes to the less-visited interior BC resorts - there's some expensive local-ish airports or it's a long drive from either hub. For a few cases like Red Mountain, SEA is actually the shorter drive than YVR.

I think the surprising thing is that AC had an 85% load factor in 2023 (down from 90% in 2022) which isn't exactly an underperforming route from a load perspective. B6 was 79% in 2023.

AA BOS-YHZ 86%
AC BOS-YHZ 78%
PD BOS-YOW 63%
PD BOS-YTZ 80%
AC BOS-YUL 80%
AC BOS-YVR 85%
B6 BOS-YVR 79%
WS BOS-YYC 92%
AC BOS-YYZ 87%

JetBlue dropping service to BWI according to airlines.net forums.

I suspect we'll see a few more of these drops as the 190 retirements increase. Some markets that might have made sense with a 100 seat airplane don't make sense at 140.

I suspect we'll see a few more of these drops as the 190 retirements increase. Some markets that might have made sense with a 100 seat airplane don't make sense at 140.
There's also the Pratt engine issues that certainly affects JetBlue.

Frontier relaunching 3 weekly San Juan in June and launching 4 weekly Raleigh-Durham in April.

Air France is going to increase service to Boston this coming summer.

1706281948857.png

Back