Longfellow Bridge update

Change of topic: The Appleton Pedestrian Bridge from Charles Circle to the Esplanade is being replaced this week.

From MassDOT's email update:
Reminder: Frances Appleton Pedestrian Bridge Closed, August 29 – September 1

MassDOT’s contractor, White-Skanska-Consigli JV (WSC), is in the final phase of construction for the new Frances “Fanny” Appleton Bridge connecting the Esplanade to Charles Circle. WSC will begin demolishing the existing bridge at 6:00 AM on Wednesday, August 29.

Due to the proximity of the new bridge pier to the existing bridge at Charles Circle, WSC must restrict access for safety during these demolition activities. Access between the Esplanade and Charles Circle will be closed in this location. Pedestrians and bicyclists wishing to cross Storrow Drive should use the Arthur Fiedler Footbridge at Mugar Way near the intersection of Beacon Street and Arlington Street or the Blossom Street Footbridge at Lederman Park (see detour map). The new Frances “Fanny” Appleton Bridge will open to bicyclists and pedestrians at 6:00 AM on Saturday, September 1.

For more information on the project, visit the website at www.mass.gov/massdot/longfellowbridge. View construction progress photos on MassDOT’s Longfellow Bridge Flickr Album. For questions or to report issues related to construction, please call the project hotline at 617-519-9892 or email longfellowbridge@state.ma.us.
[emphasis added]

In a previous email they also mentioned overnight Storrow Drive disruptions this week.

It's open!!! Well, not the stairs. But the switchbacks are dead!

44411091811_064de70126_h.jpg

43693467044_1f5caa580f_h.jpg

44411089501_1ac690bca1_h.jpg

44411088501_0155f8dcf0_h.jpg

44411087321_479fccb60f_h.jpg

30542516268_2b6357be01_h.jpg

44411085451_5fe2d0c74a_h.jpg

44411084501_a0300797f8_h.jpg

42601844690_2d765460cd_h.jpg

29473328587_eb9f79fad5_h.jpg

42601844250_54811f39ca_h.jpg

42601844250_54811f39ca_h.jpg

43502660435_8606299051_h.jpg

30542512558_a26b2bd38d_h.jpg

43502659645_69f58e4067_h.jpg

29473338127_9342da5442_h.jpg

30542511068_96c3b9207c_h.jpg

30542510438_aac2c8c5cd_h.jpg

29473336077_e10ba7f379_h.jpg

29473335507_dbccca1428_h.jpg

30542508778_fc9acba544_h.jpg

30542508458_644e3a95c2_h.jpg

42601838830_9faaba02ec_h.jpg

They should name that the Longfellow Junior Bridge to avoid getting it confused with the big bridge. :cool:

Didn't the old one lead passengers right into the station? Why isn't THIS one doing that?!!

Didn't the old one lead passengers right into the station? Why isn't THIS one doing that?!!

No. But also because mainly the people that use this bridge aren't going to the Red Line. Mostly joggers, cyclists, etc going for a leisurely time on the Esplanade. It could help during events, but on a daily basis, I don't see much Esplanade to Charles/MGH pedestrian flow.

A long time ago the bridge there did have a connection to the OLD Charles/MGH station, to the mid-level concourse, before the fare gates.

In the current Charles/MGH station, the fare gates are at ground level, and there is no mid-level to connect to.

Then I'd say & think that is pretty stupid not to have a connection there.
that mans that anyone desiring to get to the subway station has to deal with the vehicular traffic there, whereas it would've been safer to not be forced to go to the street surface for access to the station.

How sad & stupid is that?!! :mad:

Last edited:
Then I'd say & think that is pretty stupid not to have a connection there.
that mans that anyone desiring to get to the subway station has t9o deal with the vehicular traffic there, whereas it would've been safer to not be forced to go to the street surface for access to the station.

HYow sad & stupid is that?!! :mad:

The traffic light cycles there allow for really long pedestrian crossing periods. Most of the flow from that station is in the other direction toward MGH (where no bridge is possible). In my experience the surface crossing works very well, and are timed appropriately.

Yeah, I've had to use that station, getting off the Red Line to visit patients at Mas General.

Looks like it may be a 3 or 4-story apt. building.

What's the building going on the corner of Cambridge and Charles (i.e., the last picture)?
That is The John Jeffries House which is being renovated, expanded, and rebranded into a luxury boutique hotel. Planed completion is 2019.

The traffic light cycles there allow for really long pedestrian crossing periods. Most of the flow from that station is in the other direction toward MGH (where no bridge is possible). In my experience the surface crossing works very well, and are timed appropriately.

I agree, sort of. As a resident of the area, I much preferred the bridges to the street crossing, but in terms of ADA compliance, etc. the current setup is far superior. My main issue is with the crossing between the CVS and the station entrance. The mini-island in the middle and the separate crossing phases for each side of it constantly confuse drivers. Cars constantly run the red light for either side and it's a bit hazardous to pedestrians. On the plus side, my son got to learn the important lesson of "don't expect cars and bikes to stop just because they have a red light" nearly every day,

Eh, the timings aren't awful (not great - you get big queues in front of the Liberty), but you still get waves of people who jaywalk by the emergency exits near where W. Cedar meets Cambridge St., so I'd argue the pedestrian experience here isn't ideal, and can actually be dangerous (see fatnoah's comments).

People arriving at Charles/MGH use the emergency exits there and make a sometimes risky (especially on the Eastbound side) crossing across Cambridge without the assistance of crosswalks or lights. It's not intuitive for people heading Eastbound to go down the stairs/escalator, turn the opposite direction and go through the gates, walk out and wait for a light, and cross further up Cambridge than they could if they just jaywalk.

People heading into the station jaywalk here too and walk the narrow (dangerous) strip with bollards instead of walking further up and waiting for the light too.

Eh, the timings aren't awful (not great - you get big queues in front of the Liberty), but you still get waves of people who jaywalk by the emergency exits near where W. Cedar meets Cambridge St., so I'd argue the pedestrian experience here isn't ideal, and can actually be dangerous (see fatnoah's comments).

People arriving at Charles/MGH use the emergency exits there and make a sometimes risky (especially on the Eastbound side) crossing across Cambridge without the assistance of crosswalks or lights. It's not intuitive for people heading Eastbound to go down the stairs/escalator, turn the opposite direction and go through the gates, walk out and wait for a light, and cross further up Cambridge than they could if they just jaywalk.

People heading into the station jaywalk here too and walk the narrow (dangerous) strip with bollards instead of walking further up and waiting for the light too.

What is currently the "emergency exit" should be converted into a proper fare-gated entrance (there's plenty of room for this) with crosswalks across Cambridge St. I'd say the majority of people exiting the station already use that exit anyway - it's the far more practical route.

And the Cambridge St median really needs to go.

What is currently the "emergency exit" should be converted into a proper fare-gated entrance (there's plenty of room for this) with crosswalks across Cambridge St.

And the Cambridge St median really needs to go.

Agreed.

That is The John Jeffries House which is being renovated, expanded, and rebranded into a luxury boutique hotel. Planed completion is 2019.

Back