Lowell's Hamilton Canal District Development

Couldn't you say the same thing about accountants, hair stylists, dry cleaners or virtually any other business that requires in person visits. Isn't the biggest difference really that artists LIVE where they work, so you don't end up with a 9-5 community.

My thinking is along the same lines. Two critical differences. You already mentioned one-- artists live there thus creating more than a 9-5 community. when you have downtown residents, they're more likely to play a role in drawing businesses that are open beyond the 9-5 hours (i.e. restaurants, bars, theater, etc) and draw people into town for more than just menial visits. Accountants, hair stylists and dry cleaners draw in people, but merely for basic business needs. Art and galleries, museums, etc draw people in for entertainment. The people that visit galleries are generally there because they WANT to be, not because they need their suits pressed or taxes done. The increase in restaurants, bars, etc also draw more people that WANT to be there (after hours as well).

The second point is that artists add a "unique" touch to the area. It's safe to say that an art gallery is far more appealing than an accountant's office or dry cleaners. Live-in artists tend to do minor things to help beautify cities as well. Dressing up otherwise blank walls, brightening up storefronts, and simply adding to the diversity of downtown's residents are all things that artists bring to the table.

In the late 90's-early 00's. The downtown just didn't have anything to it.

Well, there's the problem. In the late 90s and early 00s, New Bedford had VERY little going on. That's changed quite a bit from the mid 2000s onward. I think you should consider revisiting when you get a chance. I'm not going to go into detail in the Lowell thread, but the downtown area has seen quite a change in the past 4 years or so, starting with some 40+ small businesses (mostly shops, restaurants, and bars) opening while a mere 8 closed (during a recession, mind you). It's a different city than it was 10 years ago. Keep in mind, the Whaling District only became a national park in the late 90s. It's since taken off with the renovation of many historic buildings and addition of many businesses. It's a city that has a ways to go (still far behind Lowell), but it's not the city it was 10 years ago. The fishing fleet is the highest grossing in the nation (and has been for the past 6 years straight) and the port increased traffic by 30% last year marking a continuing trend of growth. They've received federal money for a chunk of work to be done on opening commuter rail service to South Station as well (by 2016). You'd notice a lot more than just increased civic pride if you visited today.

I digress. It's not a pissing contest. Lowell is further along in revitalization than New Bedford is without a doubt (I'm not/wasn't trying to say it was). They're two very different cities. I also agree with much of what you say about Lowell's potential. I don't think Lowell is quite as far along as you lead on, but it's only a matter of time before it gets that far. It's heading in the right direction. I love visiting Lowell, but I am an urban enthusiast. Many of my friends in the area hate it, but their reasoning is flawed (based on their view of Lowell 15 years ago). My opinion is that reputations (particularly bad ones) stick with cities the longest. Lowell, for decades, has had a negative stigma about it. Even after it has gentrified, there will be people who can't let go of the past.

How do you mean?

Mostly, I was talking about this stuff here:

Like a urban musuem. The canals, built by hand, the mills - ugly, but nostalgic...cobblestone streets, old brick buildings...Downtown Lowell is very walkable, and with Hamilton Canal - it will add 5 more acres of living (restaurants/bars/work place/etc.). Umass Lowell is gaining a presence downtown...

There's some sort of island made by the canals, where the Lowell Spinners play. It's too bad UMass Lowell can't entirely relocate their campus over here. It's a fairly desolate section just outside of downtown, but with excellent connections, a few mill buildings, and a beautiful riverfront (it's also where the "Riverwalk" is).

Lowell is a just a terribly unique city with wonderful bones.It gets on my nerves when they talk about artists and yuppies and gentrification, because I honestly believe this city could be better than that. That's such a lazy way to rehab a city - seems like the same model every other burgeoning city is following. Lowell might be successful with it, but I think it could be even better by inventing their own model.

I wasn't too impressed looking over a couple of the pdfs at the website for this project. Looked like lots of driveways and parking lots cutting off the buildings from the street.

Excuse me? I meant "lazy" as something that's been done repeatedly before, therefore not requiring much creative effort by city planners, politicians, and business owners to form a truly unique urban area. The character the city has, by virtue of the complex infrastructure, sets them up in a way that the South End, Williamsburg, Miami Beach, etc. weren't - and makes me expect more from those in charge.

I too love central Lowell for the above reasons. Two things it desperately needs, however: Lots more middle-class housing in the city center, and the digging up of cobblestone streets and crosswalks that seriously interfere with the flow of traffic, contributing to severe gridlock on several major downtown streets.

Excuse me? I meant "lazy" as something that's been done repeatedly before, therefore not requiring much creative effort by city planners, politicians, and business owners to form a truly unique urban area. The character the city has, by virtue of the complex infrastructure, sets them up in a way that the South End, Williamsburg, Miami Beach, etc. weren't - and makes me expect more from those in charge.

The point being, there's really no reason to reinvent the wheel.

The Classical Greeks didn't care about reinvention, either. They preferred refinement. Lowell needs to refine the city planning process, especially because so many American cities find themselves in similar situations. I guess I've been pretty vague about how I'm disappointed with how they seem to be planning things, so here are my barely-less vague recommendations.

Screw "Artist Housing." How about they offer the exact same lofts, at the exact same price, to everyone? Why discriminate?

Embrace the canals. I want to see newly constructed sidewalks and pedestrian bridges around all of them, replete with cafes, restaurants, boutiques, and most importantly, entrances to the residential space above. And if they felt like taking it a step further...

Use the canals. They don't need to be a purely aesthetic function - some investment in those dams would probably lead to some locally produced, renewable energy for downtown.

Limit the influence of cars. The streets, even in downtown Lowell, are far too wide and busy to be considered safe for pedestrians. Simply widening sidewalks and repaving, repainting, and re-signing the streets could have this effect.

Use concrete. As much as I love the brick and cobblestone, they really aren't effective as walking, biking, or driving surfaces anymore. Concrete is easier and more durable. Continue using cobblestone and brick as trim and on walls, etc.

Lowell is doing the right thing, in terms of encouraging new business and residential life, but I'd like to see them take it a step further. Keep investing in the urban core, and keep showing people the very simple fact that living within walking distance to all the services they need, is a very advantageous way to live.

^^Kennedy

I understand your perspective, but unfortunately I will have to disagree...

Screw "Artist Housing." There is a significant artist population in Lowell, and while all things being equal housing should be offered up to everyone, we know this is not the way things work.

Embrace the canals. This is definitely how I would enhance the water frontage...unfortunately the canals are filled with extremely dirty stagnant water, that once a year is drained for cleaning, and the smell is horrible. I don't know about you, but I don't really want to enjoy a sandwich while I watch a guy pull tires out and gag over the putrid odor. Maybe down the road we will see this change.

Use the canals.
Again, I agree, but there will need to be some redesign in their functionality.

Limit the influence of cars. Being one of the first large-scale redevelopments in downtown Lowell, this is a start. If they are able to get the trolley system extended, it will also take some car trips off the road.

Use concrete. This one I disagree with, purely from and aesthetic standpoint.

Screw "Artist Housing." How about they offer the exact same lofts, at the exact same price, to everyone? Why discriminate?

Then doesn't it just become affordable rental housing in an important area? Most cities (including Lowell) have this. Theses "affordable rentals" (sometimes called projects) are rarely ever good for growth. If you want market rate housing, well, there has to be demand for it. While Lowell has improved, there's not a HUGE demand for it. That's one thing they're hoping to improve by bringing in artists.

Embrace the canals. I want to see newly constructed sidewalks and pedestrian bridges around all of them, replete with cafes, restaurants, boutiques, and most importantly, entrances to the residential space above. And if they felt like taking it a step further...

Use the canals. They don't need to be a purely aesthetic function - some investment in those dams would probably lead to some locally produced, renewable energy for downtown.

Yes. But first, they need to make them more appealing (i.e. clean them out).

Limit the influence of cars. The streets, even in downtown Lowell, are far too wide and busy to be considered safe for pedestrians. Simply widening sidewalks and repaving, repainting, and re-signing the streets could have this effect.

Always necessary. Light rail will help and maybe some added parking options on the periphery of downtown to increase foot traffic. Lowell can be very walkable.

Use concrete. As much as I love the brick and cobblestone, they really aren't effective as walking, biking, or driving surfaces anymore. Concrete is easier and more durable. Continue using cobblestone and brick as trim and on walls, etc.

A very real dilemma. I think a good solution is Cobblestone for aesthetic on side roads and dressed-up concrete (i.e. Kenmore Square) for the primary streets. Many cities do this in areas where there are cobblestone streets (Portland, ME; Newport, RI; and New Bedford, MA come to mind immediately).

Lowell is doing the right thing, in terms of encouraging new business and residential life, but I'd like to see them take it a step further. Keep investing in the urban core, and keep showing people the very simple fact that living within walking distance to all the services they need, is a very advantageous way to live.

Lowell is attracting new businesses and creating artists lofts are an investment in the urban core. I don't think artists are the driving force behind revitalization, but they tend lend a big hand in the beautification and attraction of small businesses. I don't think they should be ignored. When the neighborhood gentrifies, those artists lofts will likely become pricy upscale condos. But that's only when there's real demand for them.

I understand that there is an artist population and artists typically drive urban growth, but what makes their lofts so special? Why can't housing be built, entirely identical to artist housing, and sold at the "artist rate" to everyone? Is it truly that much lower than the market rate?

The canals definitely need to be cleaned up. I would recommend dredging, refacing, and straightening them to induce the water to flow. Additionally, repair of the dams and locks would help control this current and filters/sewers could help keep the water clean. I didn't add this bit at first because it's a much larger scale project with much higher costs than simply repaving and and engaging in sidewalk beautification.

The canals definitely need to be cleaned up. I would recommend dredging, refacing, and straightening them to induce the water to flow.

My company did all the site work for the Tsongas arena and a ton of the canalwalk/riverwalk rehab in the area. We spent tens of millions draining sections of the canal, hauling out trash, rebuilding walls, and pedestrian crossings, etc . . . And it was 100% evident then that this was a wasted effort because without investment in long-term ways to keep the canals clean, they'd be filthy again in a few years. I haven't been up there since we did the work, but I'm sad to hear that they've reverted to their old state.

Maybe this article isn't about the Hamilton Canal District per se, but it's about Lowell and transportation.

Federal grants put Lowell trolley expansion on fast track
By Robert Mills, rmills@lowellsun.com

LOWELL -- A year-round trolley system carrying passengers from the Gallagher Intermodal Terminal to downtown Lowell and beyond moved one stop closer to becoming a reality yesterday as the city and Lowell National Historical Park were awarded more than $3 million in federal grants.

The grants, which will fund designs for the expansion and some construction, were announced by U.S. Reps. Niki Tsongas and William Keating along with U.S. Sens. John Kerry and Scott Brown.

Also yesterday, Lt. Gov. Timothy Murray's office announced $14 million in state grants for improving parks and recreational facilities in 25 communities, including Lowell's Concord River Greenway, where $500,000 is earmarked to finish paving the final phase of a multi-use path.

The federal grants will fund designs for an expansion of the current trolley rail system to the Gallagher Terminal and along Father Morrissette Boulevard to UMass Lowell's East Campus.

"This is pretty darn exciting news after 25 years of hoping and planning," said Lowell National Historical Park Superintendent Michael Creasey.

Last year, officials from the city, UMass Lowell, the National Park and city business leaders released study findings that concluded a year-round trolley system that would stretch from the Gallagher Terminal to the university and nearby LeLacheur Park was a realistic possibility.

The project would expand the trolley system from 1.5 miles to 6.9 miles of track, with trains leaving 20 stops around the city every 10 minutes.

The study envisions about 800,000 riders each year, and estimates the total construction cost would be about $66 million, with annual operation and maintenance costs of about $3.3 million.

The grant funding announced yesterday, part of the Paul S. Sarbanes Transit in Parks Program administered by the U.S. Department of Transportation, comes in two parts.

A $1.5 million grant to the city will fund design of new tracks stretching from Dutton Street, through the Hamilton Canal District, over Appleton Street and through the South Common, as well as an expansion of tracks to the UMass Lowell East Campus.

A separate $1.5 million grant to the park will fund upgrades to existing tracks, and the construction of a second track along Dutton Street, heading toward the Gallagher Terminal, according to Adam Baacke, assistant city manager and director of planning development.

Jim Cook, executive director of the Lowell Plan, said the grant awards show the federal government believes in the project's feasibility.

"I think it's a really important step because I think it tells people that this thing is real," said Cook

City Manager Bernie Lynch said the expansion will help get people from the Gallagher Terminal to the downtown and other destinations in the city.

"This will help us move people from the commuter rail into the downtown, particularly the tourists, which is why the National Park is playing such a key role."

Creasey said Tsongas, D-Lowell, was instrumental in pushing for the grant funding, which recently began getting awarded via a competitive process.

The $500,000 in state grants coming to Lowell will help pay for expansion of the Concord River Greenway.

Once construction of the Greenway is finished, the new section will run from Centennial Island back to the east side of the river, continuing north to the path's end at the Rogers Street bridge.

Read more: http://www.lowellsun.com/todaysheadlines/ci_19765339#ixzz1jwEQvAQy

That's great news! I'd love to see the study, specifically whether they intend to continue using heritage trolleys for rolling stock?

This is fantastic! I'm a native of Billerica who would occasionally travel to Lowell for one thing or another. Since I'm now carless in Cambridge, It'll be nice to know that I'll finally be able to take the commuter rail to Lowell and then a trolley to the baseball stadium. I hope this continues!

Because I have WAY too much time on my hands at work today...

http://g.co/maps/af94y

Blue lines are the existing system.

Red lines are proposed (or as described, not 100% accurate)

Green line are lines I'm proposing.

Orange lines are loop lines that I'm also proposing.

Last edited:
Because I have WAY too much time on my hands at work today...

http://g.co/maps/af94y

Blue lines are the existing system.

Red lines are proposed (or as described, not 100% accurate)

Green line are lines I'm proposing.

Orange lines are loop lines that I'm also proposing.

Wasted time well spent! ;)

Thanks for the map. Realistically, I think you go a little too far south in your proposals, but I think you're spot on with the trolley across the bridge.

Awesome news. Anyone live in Lowell? I would love a photo tour. :)

How is the HCD progressing. Is construction active?

Awesome news. Anyone live in Lowell? I would love a photo tour. :)

How is the HCD progressing. Is construction active?

I live in Lowell. HCD is progressing nicely. They have put up pedestrian bridges and they have fixed the bridge that these trolley lines will use to head over to the train station. All of the mills that were slated to be rehabilitated are complete. There is one more rehabilitation of the old Freudenberg building and then it is on to new construction. Also, their is a new parking garage with ground floor retail that has done quite well with a successful restaurant and Lowell's new RMV.

I will try to get down to the area to take some pictures and I also have to take pictures of all of UMass Lowell's construction. I have a thread in the Greater New England section with UMass Lowell projects. You can see live webcams and updates of some of the new buildings at the following link: http://www.uml.edu/facilities/Capital-Improvements/default.html

One note about the trolley system. If the trolley crosses the river to the North Campus of UMass Lowell it may have to use a new bridge which is being constructed there to the west of the old University Ave bridge. There is some talk in the city of saving the old bridge but someone has to pony up money for repairs and maintenance.

Back