Lynn/Salem Revitalization Discussion

czsz

Reaction score
Unsure where to put this so I started a separate thread:

539w.jpg

Construction is underway on a new $108 million courthouse complex in Salem. The city has a diversified downtown that is popular with tourists.

A tale of two economies
With similar histories, Lynn and Salem follow different paths toward resurgence

By Steven Rosenberg
Globe Staff / August 5, 2010

On paper, Lynn and Salem have a lot in common. Both sit on the Atlantic and have proud industrial histories, which include General Electric?s design of the first jet engine in Lynn and Salem?s storied silk trade. But for decades, their downtowns have been going in opposite directions.

In Salem, the economy is humming with a $108 million court complex under construction, a $40 million T parking garage set to be built, and more than 1 million tourists visiting the city each year. Salem Mayor Kim Driscoll points to long-term revenue studies and overall planning as the key to the city?s economic success. ?You?ve got to plan the work, and work the plan,?? she says.

While Salem?s downtown is filled with boutiques, sidewalk cafes, and restaurants, Lynn?s Central Square looks much as it did 30 years ago. Bodegas, pizzerias, cosmetics stores, and empty lots dot the streets, which grow silent at night. While more than 300 condos have been built downtown in the last decade ? and are now fully occupied, selling at $113,000 to $280,000 ? there are no multimillion-dollar projects or business districts planned for the depressed center. Still, Lynn Mayor Judith Kennedy believes once the economy rebounds, more condos will be built, allowing for a downtown to come to life again in the same way Jamaica Plain, Somerville, and Charlestown have rebounded.

?All of the pieces are in place for this; it just now has to grow from where it is,?? says Kennedy.

Forty-five years ago, both cities appeared to have similarly bright futures. If you lived in Lynn or Salem at the time, chances are you spent most of your paycheck in the city. Department stores, corner markets, moviehouses, and bars lined each city?s downtown. For many, work was just a short walk or bus ride away ? whether it was at General Electric in Lynn or Sylvania in Salem.

While the busy downtowns and nearby factories helped produce a healthy middle class and robust municipal budgets, few realized that the business model that had helped cities expand and neighborhoods develop ? the downtown retail and work experience that had been in place in the US for more than a century ? would end within a decade. As the American economy shifted, retailers relocated to nearby shopping malls and complexes, and many of the factories, where generations of local residents could always count on work, closed and sent their trade overseas.

By the mid-1970s, Lynn and Salem ? cities that were known internationally for shoe manufacturing and cod exports ? were fast becoming ghost towns, with the once grand downtown buildings shuttered, and the nighttime streets deserted save for prostitutes and drug dealers.

At that nadir, the two cities made decisions that had economic implications for decades to come: Lynn tried to lure retailers back downtown by building a pedestrian mall on one of its main streets; it even hollowed out a building and called it ?The Lynn Mall.?? The moves backfired, and most of the remaining merchants left in droves ? including McDonald?s, with Lynn earning notoriety as one of the first urban centers where even that hamburger chain closed up shop.

In the 1970s, Lynn also chose to restrict public access to its waterfront along the Lynnway, allowing a power company to drape overhead high-tension electrical wires and stanchions along its shoreline. This industrial and commercial zone attracted a power plant, a water pollution control facility, and, decades later, retailers such as Wal-Mart and Building 19.

?I think the common thread amongst all those ill-fated decisions was that the decision makers at those times were bad at predicting trends,?? says Kennedy, who became the first woman to lead the city when she defeated former mayor Edward ?Chip?? Clancy by 30 votes last November.

Salem also stumbled in its efforts to bring department stores back to the city, and as part of its Urban Renewal program, it razed nearly 100 old homes in the downtown in 1973. After few retailers returned, then-mayor Sam Zoll made the decision to use federal money to improve the facades of the existing downtown buildings. ?The historic preservation focus was the turning point for the city,?? says Bill Tinti, a former chairman of the Salem Redevelopment Authority.

Meanwhile, tourists began to eye Salem as an inexpensive destination. After several episodes of the TV show ?Bewitched?? were filmed and aired in the city, Salem?s reputation as the witch capital of America grew. As the lure of dressing up for Halloween soared in popularity ? now the second highest-grossing holiday in the US for retailers (other than Christmas) ? lines began to form in front of tourist meccas like the House of Seven Gables and the Witch Museum. As tourism grew naturally into the city?s top economic driver, the city?s downtown infrastructure ? its working seaport, 18th-century architectural buildings, and new influx of restaurants and boutiques ? provided a backbone for more than just tarot shops and occult stores. In 2003, tourism got an even bigger boost when the Peabody Essex Museum completed a $125 million expansion.

Neil Harrington, a four-term mayor who worked with the museum ? and ultimately convinced city officials to allow the museum to absorb a city block ? says the expansion marked a turning point for tourism and the city?s economy. The museum, says Harrington, now serves as an anchor that helps attract other businesses. ?It?s hard to calculate just how positive an effect the Peabody-Essex Museum expansion has had. I just think psychologically for the community it was a tremendous boost,?? says Harrington.

Harrington believes the city?s biggest challenge is keeping Salem an affordable place for residents to live. To keep property taxes down, the city will need to generate more revenue from existing and new businesses. ?It?s got all kinds of attractions, but it?s becoming, in the eyes of some people, increasingly unaffordable and so it?s important to strengthen the nonresidential sector as much as possible,?? he says.

Driscoll, who became Salem?s mayor in 2006, says medium-sized cities need residents to create vibrant downtowns. These days, about 2,000 condos and apartments sit above older buildings in Salem?s center, with the average two-bedroom unit fetching $315,000. And more are planned: The old Salem Jail is being redeveloped into luxury condos. Also, Driscoll believes that nonprofits, which under law do not have to pay property taxes, should compensate the city anyway. Since 2006, she has entered into agreements with several nonprofits, including North Shore Medical Center, which now pays the city $125,000 a year.

Kennedy is also looking to nonprofits to pay more for the right to be in Lynn. While there are more than 100 nonprofits in Lynn, just three have agreements with the city, paying a total of $30,000 a year. While Kennedy?s predecessor, Clancy, heralded a redevelopment project along the Lynnway that calls for moving the power lines away from the shoreline to make room for high-rise condos and retail ? a project that one city study estimated could generate $18 million in new property taxes a year in Lynn ? Kennedy is more circumspect about the pace and the scale of any redevelopment along the coast. She believes the project will take decades to complete and cautions that the city has been hurt before by poor planning.

?I think a lot of people look to a short-term fix and don?t look at long-term implications and trends,?? she says. ?There are no short-term fixes. I play the long game.??

For more than 60 years, Lynn city officials have tried numerous slogans and campaigns to try to attract people to the downtown. In the 1980s, things got so bad downtown that they spent thousands to paint storefronts on empty facades to give people the impression that businesses operated there. In the 1990s, it created a ?City of Firsts?? slogan that informed people about past events, such as the 1942 GE jet-engine project, but that did little to help brand the city. In 2000, it tried to lure Internet hosting companies to a planned downtown cyber district, but by then the dot-com bubble had burst.

The proposed Blue Line extension, the one plan successive city officials have stuck with since 1947, is still afloat but is still considered a long shot by most, including Kennedy. For six decades, mayors have said the lack of highway access and rapid transportation has contributed to the city?s economic decline. ?I think every mayor tried to do his part; I think they all tried to make it work,?? says Thomas Costin, a former Lynn mayor who has lobbied for more than 60 years to bring the subway to Lynn. While millions have been spent on potential designs, the project ? which would cost up to $600 million ? has been placed on the back burner.

With no major sources of new revenue expected soon, Kennedy says it?s possible for the city to spend less and provide the same amount of services. Unlike previous years, no city workers were laid off; the city will spend $6 million less this fiscal year, with a $239.5 million budget.

Says the mayor: ?What we?re trying to do right now is just hold our head above water.??

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ar...lem_follow_different_paths_toward_resurgence/

Some real Lynn revitalization? A freakin' Blue Line extension is all you need. As the article says: $600 million. How much is the South Coast Rail?! 2.2 BILLION. God friggin' dammit...

At least Salem is getting it's Commuter Rail parking garage.

I meant to get a picture of that courthouse construction for this forum when I was on jury duty a couple months ago, I forgot to when I left... Looked like it would turn out better, then.

I'll be honest, I don't think a Blue Line extension will do it for Lynn. No, you need a complete change of attitude in that city. I feel like cities are like people, too many small post-industrial cities are like the ugly girls who will take what they get, if you know what I mean. Cities with some class and self respect are the ones that make it (i.e. Salem, Waltham... um... Providence?)

The article doesn't mention the new buildings at Salem State College, or now newly renamed, Salem State University.

This is a just completed residence hall for sophs.
ReducedResHall_rdax_236x150.jpg

They are tearing down the old library this September because either a design or construction failure has rendered it unsafe; it can't handle the structural loads. Old library below.

1826951665_fb09f8fd6e.jpg

I think the money for a new library is already approved by the legislature, so construction on that $71 million building should start soon. And there are other projects in the planning stages.

There are a lot of differences between Salem and Lynn, not the least of which is that Salem as the county seat was able to retain a services sector in its downtown during economic downturns, simply by virtue of being a county seat.

Salem has wound up with a university with about 2,000 students living on campus, and Lynn has a branch of a community college.

And the North Shore Medical Center in Salem is the largest hospital between Boston and Portland Maine.

As a kid growing up in Lynn in the 60's and 70's there was very little difference between Lynn, Salem and Peabody. All 3 were distinctly middle class, smelled awful from the tanneries and factories and had their "good" and "not so good" neighborhoods. But all 3 served southern Essex county well. Trips into Boston were for sporting or special events. Salem and Peabody revitalized their downtowns and somehow made the most of the loss of manufacturing jobs. Sadly, Lynn never did. Lack of vision from City Hall, bad ideas, etc. But Lynn screwed itself. Any city with a 4 mile stretch of the open Atlantic should be ashamed of itself for becoming the most laughed about city in the Commonwealth.

As my grandmother used to say, "no need to go into Boston, Lynn was THE place!".....yeah....in 1938.

Lynn along Lynn Shore drive is solid, but yea Salem is an absolute Gem. Hands down one of the coolest cities in New England.

The article doesn't mention the new buildings at Salem State College, or now newly renamed, Salem State University.

This is a just completed residence hall for sophs.
ReducedResHall_rdax_236x150.jpg

They are tearing down the old library this September because either a design or construction failure has rendered it unsafe; it can't handle the structural loads. Old library below.

1826951665_fb09f8fd6e.jpg

I think the money for a new library is already approved by the legislature, so construction on that $71 million building should start soon. And there are other projects in the planning stages.

There are a lot of differences between Salem and Lynn, not the least of which is that Salem as the county seat was able to retain a services sector in its downtown during economic downturns, simply by virtue of being a county seat.

Salem has wound up with a university with about 2,000 students living on campus, and Lynn has a branch of a community college.

And the North Shore Medical Center in Salem is the largest hospital between Boston and Portland Maine.

That library does not look that old. When was it built?

Also, how does a d building get built that is structurally unsafe?

That library does not look that old. When was it built?

Also, how does a d building get built that is structurally unsafe?

According to this article in 2007, the library opened in 1969.

SALEM - Salem State College shut down its library last night after an engineering report raised concerns about the structural safety of the building.

President Patricia Meservey made the sudden and unexpected decision to close the key campus building midway through the first semester after getting a report earlier in the day from state engineers doing a study on planned renovations there.

"Our top priority is the safety of students, faculty and staff, as well as visitors to our campus," Meservey said in a statement. "We recognize that closing the library will significantly impact our entire campus community. However, it is the right thing to do, and we are taking every step to minimize disruptions."

The dramatic development comes just a week after Gov. Deval Patrick submitted a higher education bond bill request that earmarked $41 million to upgrade the Salem State library.

The building has not suffered any recent damage, nor is it in danger of collapse, an official said. But engineers pointed to several places in the four-story building where they are concerned about its structural strength.
http://www.salemnews.com/local/x1150883789/Safety-concerns-shutter-library-at-Salem-State?page=0

So engineers doing a study for planned renovations discover flaws, and even though the article (above) in the Salem News goes on to say there was no danger of imminent collapse, it is shut down the same day the engineers file a report.

An article in the Globe said the building was completed in 1969, but did not open for two years because of "structural problems".
http://www.boston.com/news/educatio...em_state_college_will_replace_closed_library/

Apparently the problem was there no architectural, engineering, or construction records on what the bearing strength of the floors were, or perhaps any structural part of the building.

The permanent closure marks the end of a troubled a history for the library, which has been plagued with problems from the beginning. With the building faltering and library needs changing, university officials last year began the process of modernizing the library with a comprehensive study. It was during that study that engineers pooled previous studies and gathered every piece of documentation available on the library building?and found troubling information gaps.

?The engineers couldn?t determine what the actual loadbearing capacity was,? Cady explained. ?They just didn?t have any specific information.? In addition, she said, the library was being used differently than it was in its early years, with a space shortage on campus forcing administrators to convert to stacks areas of the library intended for things like faculty offices, which put additional stress on the structure. Cady told the LJ Academic Newswire that construction began in the 1960s during an infamous period of corruption in Massachusetts that shortchanged a number of public works in the state.

?The building has always had issues,? Cady said, recalling that corrective projects started almost immediately after the library opened in 1969. ?There was a lot of remediation work in the 70s, and through the years specific areas have always been problematic.?
http://www.libraryjournal.com/article/CA6621261.html

I spent countless hours in that library in the early 90s as a bored and lonley freshman who lived in Peabody Hall and hated his roommate. It was underutilized even then and was poorly laid out anyhow. One time while wandering around, I found that the roof access door was unlocked. After that, I spent most of my time up on the roof reading and doing homeowrk. It was the highest building on campus and had a great view over Salem and the Forest River. The Boston skyline could be seen to the south. Sunsets were the best time to be up there.

Salem State is really looking up. The new dorm is actually very nice looking, although it sits in the middle of a park/parking lot. As is the freshly renovated Bertolon School of Business, right next to the new dorms. A new library will really help tie the campus together.

I spent a good deal of time in Salem this summer, just needing a change of scenery from downtown Marblehead. It's really an awesome city, I have to agree with gmack.

33ufhmp.png

New mixed-use, mixed-income building located on a formerly vacant 2.5-acre parcel in the heart of Lynn's Central Square. Opening in Spring 2018, Gateway Residences on Washington will feature 71 residential rental units, including 53 affordable and 18 market-rate. 10 units will be designated Workforce Housing and will be rented to households earning 70% to 100% of Area Media Income (AMI). Gateway Residences on Washington will include 18 one-bedroom units, 46 two-bedrooms and seven three-bedrooms.

http://www.bldup.com/projects/gateway-residences-on-washington

etbasz.png

An 80 million dollar project with 348 apartments is proposed on the Lynn Waterfront. The project is across the street from North Shore Community College and as sat vacant for the last three decades. Currently the project is going through all of the BS state approval processes required as it's on the water.

Community groups are also trying to get the developer to add affordable housing. However Lynn and the developer don't want to add more affordable housing as over 30% of Lynn's housing stock is already deemed affordable and the city could use some wealthier residents to help revitalize central square.

http://www.itemlive.com/news/waterfront-development-backed-up-by-questions/

This is the site on google street view

2yy4cxc.png

Last edited:
Thinking outside the box

Maybe Boston should help the T build the Blue Line to Lynn like Assembly on a grand scale -- using some of Boston's own $ as well as its Legislative Clout

10,000 to 20,000 moderately priced units already existing in Lynn and 20,000 more in Quincy just a T ride away from the Seaport and Downtown would do a lot to help Boston's affordability problem

I've said this before and i'll say it again. The North Shore is the most undeserved area in the MBTA's territory. The blue line extension will do wonders to improve affordably in the region.

However I doubt that Boston would pay for this extension. It is the state that would have to step in to make this happen. Maybe the MBTA could institute a surcharge charging people from Lynn to Salem an extra dollar or two to ride the new Blue Line extension.

Guys I think we have separate Lynn and Salem threads someplace. This thread was originally for discussion of an article comparing Salem and Lynn's respective efforts at economic development. I think the two cities deserve their own threads.

^Yah please separate my posts mods. I should have made a new thread. It's exciting that Lynn is finally seeing development though. I don't believe the area has had much development in years. I actually believe Lynn has lots of potential.

Just an observation though, the Salem commuter rail station is the busiest outside of central Boston with over 2500 boardings every weekday. Beverly also has over 2000 boardings. However Lynn station only has less than 700 boardings despite the fact that the surrounding area is very dense. Do most Salem commuters take a bus to Wonderland instead of the commuter rail?

However the high usage from Beverly to Lynn along the commuter rail shows that this area deserves more frequent service, electrification, or preferably Blue Line rapid transit service. It's hard to be carless and rely on public transportation when trains only come once every hour or two and are only set up to serve 9-5 commuters.

Sorry getting off topic with the Blue Line. I know this has already been discussed elsewhere on the forum.

I've said this before and i'll say it again. The North Shore is the most undeserved area in the MBTA's territory. The blue line extension will do wonders to improve affordably in the region.

However I doubt that Boston would pay for this extension. It is the state that would have to step in to make this happen. Maybe the MBTA could institute a surcharge charging people from Lynn to Salem an extra dollar or two to ride the new Blue Line extension.

Tysmith -- the point was not that Boston pay for all of it

The point was that a contribution from Boston would do wonders -- such as offering to pay for one station

The other contribution from Boston would be the clout of the Boston legislative delegation

The Bottom Line is that some of the most affordable housing for Boston's growth is not ever going to be located in Boston -- its to be found in existing urbanized places such as Lynn and Quincy and possibly Brockton where easy access to Boston is possible and the land values are distinctly cheaper

The major elephant in the room remains the Krappy Schools in not just Lynn and Brockton but in general in Boston proper -- its hard to convince an educated family to decide to plant itself if the schools are Krappy

^ "We're going to build a Blue Line to Lynn. It's going to be fantastic. And guess what, folks, we're going to make BOSTON pay for it!" -Future Seth Moulton

The major elephant in the room remains the Krappy Schools in not just Lynn and Brockton but in general in Boston proper -- its hard to convince an educated family to decide to plant itself if the schools are Krappy

Who cares about Krappy schools when you've got Kappys nearby!!

Back