Lyra (née The Huntington) | 252/258/264 Huntington Avenue | Fenway

This looks a lot like the boutique hotel towers in SOHO and LES. I like it a lo, but to think the Grand Marc at NU faced a ton of grief when it was originally proposed as a tall building. This is a monster and they plan to tear down the old theater facade, too? There will be a pitchfork mob out front on this one.

Looks very sharp.

I really hope they execute on materials. I can see this going South and aging horribly with the wrong/cheap materials, but based on the renderings I am hopeful.

I think this one looks pretty excellent, though like others have posted on other threads, I’ve lost patience with the way the vertical mullions are randomly offset every few floors. That’s not done as ham-handedly here as on some other buildings, so if they stick with it, it won’t be so terrible. But I’d be happy if it goes away in a later iteration.

I’m of mixed minds on saving the Old France façade. It’s an awesome façade, but I like façade-ectomies better when the high rise can be stepped back from the preserved façade. There’s not enough depth here for that to be an option, it’d almost have to rise straight up from the preserved façade, and that can look really strange. They’ve got a bold horizontal element at the second floor plate level and another at about the fifth floor level; if they could do something like that just above the old façade, and then maybe just a small step back on the tower above, even if only a foot or two? I dunno. I’d hate to lose the façade entirely, but we’ve seen a few really awful examples lately of façades being preserved in ways that make me think they ought to have not bothered.

It’s a real shame they can’t acquire that small building between this and Symphony Plaza West – that is going to look comically awkward being stranded there. If they could get that plot and incorporate it into the new first floor façade, that might open up possibilities on preserving the Old France façade (but might not, either…). Probably not a happening thing.

If you look at the website that reverend paco linked, and look at the main render they have at the top? THAT is the render I’d use in public meetings if I were the developer. I don’t want to fill up this thread with more big files, folks can go look at it. It’s a view from the north, over Symphony Hall. It depicts Symphony Plaza East and West much more prominently than does the render from the northwest in paco’s post. One would normally want to clutter up one’s presentation with such ugly shit, but in this case, if I were the developer, I would do exactly that. With the very explicitly stated message being, “a bunch of high rise shit was already built right next door, I’m building something vastly more appealing.” It won’t make opposition vanish, and won’t be a sufficient argument in and of itself, but it’s an argument I would incorporate into the rest of my pitch.

ok, i'll take the plunge; could there be a way the facade could be moved to one of the parks, or become the fascia of a buttress of an eroding outcropping. As nice as it is, i don't think it works as the front of a building any longer. There's a lot of examples where cities sometimes have to move on. This might be one of those.

ok, i'll take the plunge; could there be a way the facade could be moved to one of the parks, or become the fascia of a buttress of an eroding outcropping. As nice as it is, i don't think it works as the front of a building any longer. There's a lot of examples where cities sometimes have to move on. This might be one of those.

I agree we sometimes need to move on. Not sure if this is such a time, but if that's how the decision ends up, I'd not be in favor of moving the façade to a park. Every time I've seen that done, it looks hokey, it isn't taken care of over times, then it gets demolished anyhow .... like the famous pile of building stones out in SF's Golden Gate Park.

If the decision comes down to not save it in place, I'd say haul it all away.

Ok here is some insider knowledge for ya. I'm moving up in the world and am working at the Boston University Theater this week. I'm designing the last show in the space before they hand it over to the developers and the theater's name changes to the Huntington. All the construction shops are in the process of moving out the tools, materials, and storage (which has been an absolute pain) and it should be empty within a week or two.

This looks a lot like the boutique hotel towers in SOHO and LES. I like it a lo, but to think the Grand Marc at NU faced a ton of grief when it was originally proposed as a tall building. This is a monster and they plan to tear down the old theater facade, too? There will be a pitchfork mob out front on this one.

It will be interesting to see but I think this might go okay. There is a lot of support for the Huntington Theater and that this development is not only allowing the theater to stay but building it an accessible entry is clearly why they got the height. My suspicion is that will be supported because of the theater.

I agree we sometimes need to move on. Not sure if this is such a time, but if that's how the decision ends up, I'd not be in favor of moving the façade to a park. Every time I've seen that done, it looks hokey, it isn't taken care of over times, then it gets demolished anyhow .... like the famous pile of building stones out in SF's Golden Gate Park.

If the decision comes down to not save it in place, I'd say haul it all away.

This. Sometimes it is better to let a building go with some dignity and work for something good to replace it.

Also, something a little scary for the preservationists. Starting in about 2 weeks and lasting for the entire time this is under construction the theater will not have a loading dock. This means all scenery will have to go in through the front door of the theater, be navigated through the lobby, down the aisle and over the orchestra pit. I find it hard to believe all the wood paneling and plaster work of the lobby and theater will survive this unscathed.

Renovating the theater and installing new elephant doors as the back of the space are part of the second phase of this project. I'm worried that they may finish the condo building and then not complete the renovations....

Also, something a little scary for the preservationists. Starting in about 2 weeks and lasting for the entire time this is under construction the theater will not have a loading dock. This means all scenery will have to go in through the front door of the theater, be navigated through the lobby, down the aisle and over the orchestra pit. I find it hard to believe all the wood paneling and plaster work of the lobby and theater will survive this unscathed.

It takes discipline, but you can hang pads to protect the walls at least. Protecting ceilings and door ornamentation is more tricky.

It takes discipline, but you can hang pads to protect the walls at least. Protecting ceilings and door ornamentation is more tricky.

Or you just stage productions with more spartan staging for the duration of the construction, and avoid the issue. Plenty of theatre is produced that way.

Or you just stage productions with more spartan staging for the duration of the construction, and avoid the issue. Plenty of theatre is produced that way.

While what you suggest may work for a smaller or low budget theater, it is not viable for this space. The BU Theater houses a Tony Award winning, LORT B+ theater company as well as one of the top theater design and production training programs in the country. You are asking a business to deliver a lower quality product because a developer is destroying their loading dock. That would be like asking Gillette to make lower quality razors simply because the new GE headquarters are being built nearby.

If you are interested in architecture you should also be aware of all the systems and programing required for a building. This includes, water, hvac, electric, and the movement of people and materials. This new construction is going to royally mess up alot of back of house systems for this theater space for a long time.

This tower looks very good. Anyone know if theres any meetings on this coming up, really need to get the word to them that the ground level has to stay. Im 100% sure they've considered this and have their reasons...money, but it has to stay. Its the right thing to do.

Itll be a cool effect having the skyline make a V going away from the PRU. One side down huntington the other down the pike.

lol the second rendering where the front facade of the neighboring building is copy-pasted all down its side....

"This is OUTRAGEOUS. THIS ENORMOUS MONSTROSITY SOARS over the tiny Fenway and completely overwhelms every structure nearby It is WAY out of character with the neighborhood. I've spoken to many of the neighbors who are very upset. We're all very worried about the traffic...."

umm, the Pru, Parcel 15 and 2 dozen other highrises lie within just a few hundred feet of 264 Huntington, in the heart of the Boston's central core)......

Is this thing actually happening according to the renders above or are these old?

^ those are old. these are current.

The-Huntington-Avenue-Theater-Development-Tower-Residential-Retail-Fenway-Back-Bay-Boston-University.jpeg

c1_reduced.jpg

c3_reduced.jpg

Best part about this project is how it draws attention away from the pair of ugly apartment buildings at Mass/Huntington.

Back