Lyrik Back Bay | 1001 Boylston Street (Parcel 12) | Back Bay

1000019357.jpg

Thankfully there are 999999999 other angles to view the Pru from.
The view INBOUND ON 90 is the view of the city almost every single person visiting from west of Boston sees. That said, I don't think it's a huge deal. I do think you and Dave need to lose the attitude.

Driving to the Bean during Thanksgiving.. Apologies in advance for the delay in posting these, and yes, these were taken by a passenger. Special shoutout to the sun for illuminating these buildings just right 😄:

View attachment 45344View attachment 45343
Folks hold dear what they feel strongly about and it's not for me to judge, but views from a little further back do provide plenty of "tall building vibe," with all three of the big boys (gals?) -- JHT, Pru, 1 Dalton -- visible, as in the above pix from Nyeuthi's post, along with the new Parcel 12 stuff, so... maybe that's sufficient counterpoint for everyone to be happy?

Thankfully there are 999999999 other angles to view the Pru from.
Right? One Dalton ruins the view of the Pru from my neighborhood. And oddly enough, the Pru ruins the view of One Dalton, because the two buildings sort of blend together from my vantage point, with the result much less enjoyable than either individual structure. But I'm very glad we have both buildings in Boston, even if one of the views I enjoyed has changed.

Well, when I'm heading inbound on 90, the view looks quite different now. This new complex changes the view quite drastically, and it looks good!! In this rendering, you can see the Pru Tower. :)
Complex over Mass. Pike..jpg

You know what nobody in Boston should give a shit about? What the people from towns west of Boston think about how Boston looks driving in on The Pike for their day of playing Big City.

Boston exists for Bostonians, not people who live outside of it.
Bostonian here, I agree with you but I also like the view from the pike when I'm coming back home so I sort of get it. The thing is, if anybody, especially on this board, bitches about the view from the pike they should never ever get to say a bad word about NIMBYS because they are one.

Boston would be Detroit or Newark if it existed only for people who live within the city limits. Might be the most absurd comment I've read in 18 years on this forum and I have lived both downtown and outside of the city (and lived through the "Rifleman years" on his forum).

This does seem a bit tribalistic and provincial, and runs contrary to the aspirations of Boston being a world-class city, Also, Boston is only part of the metro area (albeit a major part), as are the other cities and towns around it. In an alternative universe, all the surrounding towns could have been annexed by Boston in the 1800s, and the metro area would have been one big city. So, where Boston begins and ends is a political construct and an accident of history.

This does seem a bit tribalistic and provincial, and runs contrary to the aspirations of Boston being a world-class city, Also, Boston is only part of the metro area (albeit a major part), as are the other cities and towns around it. In an alternative universe, all the surrounding towns could have been annexed by Boston in the 1800s, and the metro area would have been one big city. So, where Boston begins and ends is a political construct and an accident of history.

Strongly disagree. The residents of the City of Boston are light years different than most people in suburbia. 20 years ago I wouldnt have agreed with this but its very obvious in 2023. Accents, political attitudes, interests, conversations, age, fashion, world view, education, occupation, income, etc, all largely different

You are right, of course, but I share the frustration expressed by @393b40 regarding the idea that Boston as a city should be tailored to the desires of people who don't actually live here. Yes, a different timeline has Boston enveloping more abutting communities, but regardless, the Pike serves the interests of suburbanites. It does real and actual harm to the residents of the city. One of the lowest priorities on my list for built environment is a consideration for that particular view corridor when I'd rather it not even exist at all.

Back