Madness

Padre,
You don't have to throw the Pope under the bus on this one. Heck, I remember seeing an Ike and Tina Turner show out there ten years before that. And folks weren't just walking on grass, if you get my drift!
Toby

The most literal tragedy of the commons ever.

I think they had the same debate when the common was finally rid of cows.

This is annoying. It's not like the Common is some manicured spot, like the Public Gardens. It's supposed to be for people to USE, not to be walled off with "no walking on grass" signs. And it's for everyone, it is not someone's personal front yard. Sorry, but these people knowingly moved into an apartment with a known nuisance across the street. I feel no sympathy for them.

With dirt and grass underneath on the Common, people attending large events like Hemp Fest or the post-Gay Pride parade festival can sit down, spread a blanket, lay out in the sun, toss a frisbee, spend some time and socialize. CHP is not at all comfortable unless you carry along a rickety lawn chair and people without planning like that will probably only stay for a short period of time.

They just need to pump money into it.
All they need to do is look at the Park at Post office square.
The thing is immaculate and people walk on it daily.
And in the summer you cant get a spot on the grass there are hundreds of people on it.

pffffffff

First, not many people actually walk across the grass there; most are using the perimeter paths. And second, they give you little seat cushions to sit on so you don't destroy the grass.

Also, I've never heard of a large public event, like Shakespeare or Carmen or a BSO concert, held at Post Office Square.

And again, we're not just talking about people here, but also about the stages/tents/structures that are brought on the grass (with trucks and cars) left up for a little while, and then removed.

This is absurd. These public events--concerts, outdoor theater, rallies, etc.-- are among the best uses of the Common. We're really going to put a stop to them because we don't want to damage the grass? Gimme a break. Sod it cheap.

City Hall Plaza is one of the worst venues for these types of events. The acoustics are beyond terrible. It's a giant echo chamber.

^ and of course the stage at City Hall is facing the wrong way.

This is absurd. These public events--concerts, outdoor theater, rallies, etc.-- are among the best uses of the Common. We're really going to put a stop to them because we don't want to damage the grass? Gimme a break. Sod it cheap.

Well said briv.

BTW could you do me a favor and edit the title to reflect the content of the thread? I was a bit upset when I posted it and vBulletin doesn't let us edit titles. Thanks.

It's held in September. No idea if it's happening this year on the Common.

In one of the Boston books in my collection, there's a bit of doggerel presumably written by the author which illustrates the differences between the Common and the Public Garden. I've never seen the poem anywhere else, and the publish date of the book is somewhere in the mid-50s. Once I get home today I'll be able to provide full attribution and correct that which I've undoubtedly paraphrased, but take a look at how the Common was viewed 50 years ago:

The Common belongs to the people
The people -- that means me!
I can sleep on the lawn
From dusk until dawn,
I can take in a ball game for free.

The Common belongs to the people
The people -- that means you!
You can stand on a chair
And find fault with the mayor
And no one will care that you do.

(The next two lines involve the Garden, which belongs to the city -- that's not me!)

Now try to find that which you can still do on the Common.

In a Boston Courant article, the Parks Department denied that they wanted to discourage events that attract large numbers of people. They said they were instead concerned about the impact of trucks, tents, and tent stakes on the grass.

Back