Maine - General Photo Thread

A few (phone photos, sorry) from a recent trip to the insanely beautiful Monhegan:

IMG_5363.JPG

IMG_5373.JPG

IMG_5476.JPG

IMG_5518.JPG

68022678758__1F1415F5-E5CC-4CB8-885E-2B559BF47D70.JPG

View attachment IMG_5502.JPG

I love Monhegan so much! My uncle had a friendship sloop out of Round Pond and multiple times a summer we'd sail from there to Allen Island and/or Burnt Island, and then tack hard south to Monhegan. It was about an 8 hour sail.

Lewiston (37,000) will remind you of a smaller version of Lawrence, MA and Auburn (24,000) will remind you of nothing in particular. You'll come away from your visit realizing the that "Twin Cities" are not similar to each other in either size or appearance. Lisbon Street is the main drag in downtown Lewiston and is an interesting stroll and has the third most "urban" vibe in the state after Congress and Commercial Streets in Portland. Auburn has benefited more than it's bigger city across the river when it comes to new developments post 1975 with a few mid rise commercial buildings and a hotel in Great Falls Plaza. Both cities have come a long way in sprucing up their commercial cores and are worth a day trip to explore and don't forget to check out Bates College and the Basilica in Lewiston for its impressive architecture.

DZH22, would you mind adding this photo to the "Lewiston, Maine's second largest city" thread to inject some life into it?

Last edited:
Lewiston and Auburn are maybe the two cities in Maine poised for the most growth (not basing this assertion on anything other than articles I've read). Auburn has an aggressive housing policy, population in Lewiston is increasing. It will be really interesting to see what happens if/when developers hit the area hard - plenty of opportunity for renovation/redevelopment, plenty for infill. The downtown in Lewiston already has some cool spots, but there's so much potential.

Back