Maine Medical Center Expansion | Portland

Max

Reaction score
A $534 million project that includes expansion of the East Tower, a new building on Congress Street replacing an existing park garage, and construction of a 10-story parking garage off St. John Street. Work began in 2018 and is expected to be completed in 2023.

Screen Shot 2019-12-23 at 10.33.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-12-23 at 10.33.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-12-23 at 10.33.56 PM.png

You're not and it is. But with over 60 years of expansions on a limited hilly urban location with numerous CEO/administrative turnovers, long term vision was not a priority until the past decade. I do think that the new main building is stunning and will really enhance the western entrance to downtown.

I have heard that MMC has purchased the Greyhound lot that was for sale. Greyhound has one year left on their lease. The old garage is set to come down soon to make way for the new building.

That garage has dominated the drive in on Congress St. for so long, it'll be really interesting to see how the new building comes out.

I agree. The new building's design is striking and unlike anything else in the state of Maine and it will be a great first impression of Portland as you approach downtown from the west.

It dawned on me that their "new front door" building screams modernity, high tech, etc.... quite the contrast to the uphill campus with its mix of brick-faced Modernism, brick-faced PoMo, and "didn't I see that building on Ghost Hunters?"

I have heard that MMC has purchased the Greyhound lot that was for sale. Greyhound has one year left on their lease. The old garage is set to come down soon to make way for the new building.
I went by there yesterday and saw some signs taped to the doors. Apparently, as of January 20, Greyhound has left their former Chevron station on Congress & St. John for 170 Brighton Ave., the former 7-Eleven, also on a corner of St. John. It seems like a weird spot, not really convenient to anything but USM, but Greyhound has had their clock cleaned so thoroughly by Concord Coach maybe they thought it didn't matter.

In a recent construction update MMC said that the west-facing wall on 940 Congress Street is crumbling and will be replaced or patched over soon. This is the brick wall that has the old Greyhound Bus sign painted on it. Apparently it was an interior wall originally and it's not holding up well under the elements.

It will be interesting to see what they do with the former bus station property, which is one of several in the area they've acquired in recent years.

In a recent construction update MMC said that the west-facing wall on 940 Congress Street is crumbling and will be replaced or patched over soon. This is the brick wall that has the old Greyhound Bus sign painted on it. Apparently it was an interior wall originally and it's not holding up well under the elements.

It will be interesting to see what they do with the former bus station property, which is one of several in the area they've acquired in recent years.

If MMC could acquire that sandwich shop nextdoor, they would own that entire parcel. Quite an opportunity!

I think there was originally a hotel in that area of the Greyhound and D'Angelos, so I can see that that might have been a party wall. When I was small the Greyhound was a Chevron station. I'd hate to see Pizza Villa gone, though.

Biked by here this weekend, and noticed that they're finally beginning to raise some steel after 1.5 years of demolition and foundation work.

Reactions: Max
Maine Medical Center expansion with architect's design walk-through. Check out the Leon Gorman Lobby and its 360 degree view going up to the skylight. There is nothing close to this kind of modern architecture in Maine.
https://mmc150.yarncorporation.com/...lGNyWXeOMaO9ieGGy9FNdZufnfZ0GoNdUuzfIpauSIYig

Hey thanks for the link! I hadn't seen this before. This will truly be a state of the art medical facility. But I do have to say that personally it annoys me that every nook and cranny of this place carries the name of a donor. I understand it's part of the fundraising process, but I want to believe that should I ever find myself in a position to make a large gift to any organization I'll be able to do it with pure altruism and not feel the need for this kind of public recognition.

Hey thanks for the link! I hadn't seen this before. This will truly be a state of the art medical facility. But I do have to say that personally it annoys me that every nook and cranny of this place carries the name of a donor. I understand it's part of the fundraising process, but I want to believe that should I ever find myself in a position to make a large gift to any organization I'll be able to do it with pure altruism and not feel the need for this kind of public recognition.

Agree 100% with you.

Back