Malaysia

bolehboleh

Reaction score
I've just recently moved to Malaysia and I'm amazed at the amount of construction that is going on here., and the amount that has happened since I was last here in 2010. It may even rival China. I hope to get some pictures up in the next few weeks, but until then, I wanted to post this link to a project that's will be going up soon:

http://www.thestar.com.my/Business/...oper-finalising-design-for-ambitious-project/

Here are some pictures I've taken on a recent trip to Melaka Malaysia. I hope to get some more pictures of Kuala Lumpur and its amazing transformation in the next few weeks. As you can see, they've followed a more American style to their modern infrastructure...build wide roads and highways so everyone must drive. The older neighborhoods in Melaka were built by the Portuguese and are very walkable and compact...

An ad for an upcoming development

Gentrification isn't just an American thing...

Everyone loves Hello Kitty for some reason

Old architecture

This river used to be foul. They've since cleaned it up and they're trying to put pubs and restaurants along it to look more like Singapore.

Near or on Jonker Street...cant' remember

Old and new

More wide boulevards...

A lot of their new developments remind me of the Gateway Center in Medford

Reclaiming more land

More new developments. They look nice but because of the wide roads, they somehow don't connect with the fabric of the city

Last edited:
Finally got around to taking some pictures of Kuala Lumpur...enjoy!
Looking up at the Petronas Twin Towers

This park is located behind the Petronas Twin Towers. The towers and a large shopping mall are behind me.

KLCC...the mall below the towers. It's huge but Malaysia has at least five more malls that are bigger!

Kind of a random photo of another part of KL, but it reminded me of Cambridge for some reason ;)

KL Tower...the view is better here than from Petronas. The twin towers only allow you to go up to the bridge.

Some views from the top of KL tower

This is neighborhood called "Kampung Bahru." When I lived in Malaysia the first time a few years ago, I used to jokingly call it Southie. The reason is that with all the development going on around it, nothing changed here because politicians needed the neighborhood to win elections. Despite its close proximity to downtown, nothing has changed in the four years I was away from Malaysia

Highway out in the burbs:

Cranes, cranes and more cranes!

Their light rail trains are driverless, clean and efficient. Pretty much the opposite of their commuter rail

Going into the city from the burbs

No driver means I can see out the front window!

Thanks for the tour! It's always fun to see pics of an area I know nothing about.

And look -- Sim City 3000 fans will recognize the tower in the center!

10535687_10154368353220596_5224365610704043328_o.jpg

It's unfortunate that Malaysia doesn't get more press internationally for their economic development. They're growing at a similar rate to China, and they are currently ranked much higher than China in the Human Development Index and they have a higher per capita GDP. Also, they're on the verge of being considered an "industrialized nation."

Since there are a number of people on this board who are interested in BRT, I thought I'd post the Malaysian version. It was just recently completed and it's completely elevated.
It's located in a suburb of Kuala Lumpur called Subang Jaya.

Here is part of KL area (Klang Valley)mass transit map. You might not notice this but they make little distinction on the map between rapid transit and commuter rail. You'll also notice at the bottom that it's partially shaded - that's because that area is under construction. It should be completed in a few months time. Also there are a number of other line under construction, but their completion won't be for a few years so we're not seeing them on the maps yet.

This is a crappy picture from inside the bus. As you can see, we're elevated above many of the houses.

Inside of the bus.

View of the suburbs

Next to the bus way, there is also an elevated walkway. This mostly serves the students at nearby Sunway University

The BRT/LRT station. This is one of the LRT stations that should be coming online in the coming months. It is also the terminus of the BRT

Apartment flats from the bus

Why did they go with BRT for this line?

20171116_181841_zpsrjuop6u7.jpg

I didn't want to hijack the Four seasons thread any further so I decided to put my newest picture of the new Four Seasons building in Kuala Lumpur here

Back