Malden + Melrose Infill and Small Developments

Anyone heard about this? Innovation place at 22 pleasant st. Its apparently planned at the back end of downtown from Malden center, directly across the street from 11 dartmouth st above.

image.jpg

22-pleasant-st-malden-photo-2-of-4.jpg

malden_ma_office_web.png
https://www.innovationplacemalden.com/

Last edited:
That's new to me. Interesting.

The only down side I can see (aside from the boring architecture) is that I think this project is why the Hobby Bunker had to leave Malden. It's not a shop I ever visited but it was still one of those quirky places that are quickly disappearing.

I do like how none of the renderings show the top floor so you can't really tell how tall it going to be. Clever, but NIMBY's are going to NIMBY regardless.

Last edited:
Funny that Malden allows density downtown if it's not housing....

Funny that Malden allows density downtown if it's not housing....
The density and high-rises Malden Center allows though (coupled with suburban parking) is exactly what is necessary to balance housing and jobs in the greater metro area. If a Tufts was here this would be another Davis Square.

nuqIxEeh.jpg

Malden center is looking great today
200 Exchange has opened its restaurants and is looking a lot better than its blank brick walls from before

368 Pleasant
t6Iooe8h.jpg

Lop0KCOh.jpg

No action at former Ryan Amusement, weeds have been growing everywhere on site for the entire summer

I'm more concerned about the giant hole at the corner of Main & Ferry St. I'd love to see some movement there.

Malden center walkabout 2
Commercial St. The trees have been planted in boxes rather than permanently in the sidewalk.
DSC_0275.jpeg
DSC_0282.jpeg
DSC_0279.jpeg
DSC_0306.jpeg

Several locations that presumably will be future retail currently are only raw spaces with gravel floors that are a few feet below grade
DSC_0594.jpeg

Exchange St is at this point mostly a glorified service alley with maybe a half dozen active businesses
DSC_0321.jpeg
DSC_0335.jpeg
DSC_0330.jpeg
DSC_0355.jpeg

This should either be a nicely laid out park or a street not this sad patch of grass
DSC_0369.jpeg
DSC_0380.jpeg

Furthering the emptiness of Exchange is this long-time pedestrian bridge that now has a new sibling tube at City Hall
DSC_0389.jpeg

Malden center walkabout 3
Pleasant St
DSC_0441.jpeg
DSC_0468.jpeg

This is the dominant feature of this short street
DSC_0493.jpeg

Plaza behind City Hall that could easily become a nice place to hang out with some tables and chairs rather than just be a pass-thru
DSC_0521.jpeg

DSC_0535.jpeg
DSC_0570.jpeg

City Hall lobby
DSC_0582.jpeg
DSC_0600.jpeg
DSC_0620.jpeg

Some of the Trattoria interior
DSC_0618.jpeg

An exponentially vast improvement from what these blocks were just a few years ago but the where-are-the people dynamic from then persists - more cars than pedestrians. There are a good 8 or so retail spaces that when filled will go a long way to activating this area, until then there's an upscale liquor store, yoga center, Starbucks, Tous les Jours bakery-cafe, new restaurants and the venerable Exchange Street bistro to enjoy.

Is Honey Fitz still there?

The owner sold that back around 2012. My husband and I almost bought it but decided to move South back then. I'm not sure if it's bar these days another a different name but Honey Fitz is no longer.

Is Honey Fitz still there?
It's a bank or some salon I think. I walked by with my daughters for the trick-or-treat thing they had in Malden. Many good times at the Fitz, plus the owner was my old landlord in Medford back in the day, and we still keep in touch.

My husband said that he sold it to 3 people back then and they opened a martini bar but obviously that bar didn't last.

Do you know if he ever opened the mobile dog grooming business after he sold the bar?

Honey Fitz was a place I only went once or twice, but it was exactly what I imagined it would be. Especially around closing time.

My husband said that he sold it to 3 people back then and they opened a martini bar but obviously, that bar didn't last.

Do you know if he ever opened the mobile dog grooming business after he sold the bar?
I know he did that for a while, but when I talked to him earlier this year he was doing something else out in western Mass where he moved a few years ago.

453-463 Franklin St (at Melrose Highlands train station) approved last night. 21 units / 13 car parking / 30 bike parking. An abutting proposal (shown as massing on the left) was deferred to the next meeting.

453-463 Franklin Street Site Plan Review & Special Permit Application | Melrose MA (cityofmelrose.org)

franklin_building.png
61 new units right next to a commuter rail stop, with a Whole Foods .5 mile walk away. There's a tiny commercial district about to get a little more attention. Good for Melrose.

For the abutting proposal at 14 Chipman - any chance the parking elevators get the go ahead? I haven't see those outside downtown areas.

1656504232838.png

Exchange 200 in Malden Center Lands Three New Life Science and Lab/R&D Tenants Totaling 100,000SF Ahead of Completion
Exchange-200-Rendering-Day-e1518628944813.jpg

Boston-based real estate developer Berkeley Investments and its partner, Singerman Real Estate, announced that three new life sciences and lab/R&D companies have signed leases totaling nearly 100,000SF to occupy space at Exchange 200, Malden’s largest life sciences and laboratory development.
https://bostonrealestatetimes.com/e...enants-totaling-100000sf-ahead-of-completion/

Back