Malden Minor League Baseball Stadium | Malden

BostonUrbEx

Reaction score
I heard about it just about an hour ago from a couple people, following the Bike to the Sea 2011 event. They claimed a AA minor league stadium was going to be built on a national grid lot in Malden Center, I was pretty surprised that I hadn't heard of this. I can't find anything here, but I did pull this up from Google:

http://malden.patch.com/articles/play-ball-will-baseball-have-a-new-home-in-malden

- Malden Center
- National Grid's 9-acre lot (parking facility, primarily)
- Privately financed by "Boston Field of Dreams"
- $30-35 million
- 6,000 seats, with provisions for potential to increase to 8,000 or 9,000
- Potential elevated walkway linking Malden Station to the stadium

EDIT: I'm assuming this isn't very close to being ready for shovels, but I'm not sure how far along it is.

Re: Malden Minor League Baseball Stadium

This may or may not be a realistic plan (it's much more likely to be an Independent League team than a AA team, IMO), but I'd love to see the Sox pull the rest of their minor league affiliates into New England. It doesn't make sense to have the new recruits down in VA and SC, though it is nice that they all start in Lowell.

Worcester could certainly use the downtown boost from a stadium. Malden wouldn't be a horrible idea either. The site certainly has good transit access...

This may or may not be a realistic plan (it's much more likely to be an Independent League team than a AA team, IMO), but I'd love to see the Sox pull the rest of their minor league affiliates into New England. It doesn't make sense to have the new recruits down in VA and SC, though it is nice that they all start in Lowell.

Worcester could certainly use the downtown boost from a stadium. Malden wouldn't be a horrible idea either. The site certainly has good transit access...
Worcester has a baseball stadium that is older than Fenway, and where Ted Williams hit his first home run wearing a Red Sox uniform. Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig played there, and Casey Stengal coached the Brooklyn Dodgers in a game there.

Originally.
card00151_fr.jpg

Currently,
Worcester-Tornadoes_84.jpg

http://www.worcestertornadoes.com/

The Splendid Splinter at bat in Worcester.
Ted_Will-1statbat.jpg

It is highly misleading to say "AA minor league team" when you mean "independent (non-affiliate) league team". Whoever's doing this should cut it out.

It is highly misleading to say "AA minor league team" when you mean "independent (non-affiliate) league team". Whoever's doing this should cut it out.

You tell 'm, Ron!

If it's anything but a Sox affiliate, it's a disaster. Lowell Spinners+Sox affiliate=Success...Lowell Devils+Not a Bruins affiliate=Team moving to Captial Region.

Also, are we sure that Malden is an ideal location for Minor League Baseball? Quincy seems better suited for something like this. Maybe Revere?

I'm a fan of independent baseball, but yeah, this is really misleading. What they might say is that it's built to AA specifications.

On the larger issue, should Malden have a professional baseball stadium? I'd love to think that there is enough demand for non-MLB product that these towns might legitimately get some fans going to games. But I doubt very much that there is. Or perhaps, there's enough for Malden, but not also for Lynn. One thing I don't want is baseball becoming associated with monorails as a silver bullet economic development scheme.

I want baseball to go away in general, actually.

Worcester has a baseball stadium that is older than Fenway, and where Ted Williams hit his first home run wearing a Red Sox uniform. Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig played there, and Casey Stengal coached the Brooklyn Dodgers in a game there.

The field is ancient, but the stadium is brand new. It is on the Holy Cross campus (you can see some of the college buildings in the Williams photo.) It is on a par with Hadlock Field in Portland. In the background of the new photo you can see the football stadium, also known as Fitton Field, which holds about 25,000. It is reminiscent of BC's Alumni Stadium pre-1970.

Judging by the photos, the diamond was reoriented.

I'm a fan of independent baseball, but yeah, this is really misleading. What they might say is that it's built to AA specifications.

On the larger issue, should Malden have a professional baseball stadium? I'd love to think that there is enough demand for non-MLB product that these towns might legitimately get some fans going to games. But I doubt very much that there is. Or perhaps, there's enough for Malden, but not also for Lynn. One thing I don't want is baseball becoming associated with monorails as a silver bullet economic development scheme.

Brockton and Worcester have been able to hold onto their teams, Malden might be able to if they can get a good jump on getting the city and the area closely linked with the team especially in a place where there hasn't been baseball before.

The site has bus, rail, and car access and isn't too bad of a walk from the heart of the city...perhaps with the right management they may be able to get it done right.

Are people just throwing out names of cities to see if they stick?

Here is Lynn.
http://www.ballparkreviews.com/lynn/lynn.htm

Note it once had a AA team. I rather liked the name of a now defunct Lynn team, the Mad Dogs.

I beleive that either this or another field in Lynn may have been the site of the first night game played by a profession baseballl team -- GE enginers put lights up for a minor league field

Coincidentally the first night game ever played was played not too far away in Hull:

The First Night Baseball Game,
September 2, 1880

With the invention of the electrical light and carbon arc lamps of considerable power, the promoters of these contrivances cast their eyes upon baseball. Why not play it at night?

So the Boston press was invited to Nantasket Beach, Massachusetts to see the first trial on September 2, 1880.

Three Hundred thronged the balconies of the Sea Foam House on Strawberry Hill. 36 carbon lamps had been placed in communication with a dynamo-electric generator, operated by a 30 horse power engine. To support the lamps three towers, 100 feet high and 500 feet apart, were placed so as to overlook a triangle spot just beneath the northern piazzas of Sea Foam House. The lamps were disposed twelve in a group, the total illuminating power being announced as 90,000 candles, or 30,000 candles for each tower.

The flood of mellow light, thrown upon the field between 8 and 9:30 p.m., allowed nine innings to be played. Employee teams of the business firms Jordan, Marsh & Co., and R. H. White & Co., played a tie game, 16 to 16. The light was quite imperfect and there were lots of errors made. The players had to bat and throw with caution. For the spectators the game had little interest as only the movements of the pitcher, in general, could be discerned, while the course of the ball eluded the vision of the watchers.

The showing was far from impressive. None of the reporters believed the idea to be at all practical.

http://malden.advocatenews.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Malden-Park-Rendering-front-view.jpg

Malden seriously considering minor league baseball stadium proposal
December 9, 2011
By Malden News

Artist rendering of the proposed Malden Park facade. (photo courtesy of Boston Baseball Field of Dreams, LLC)
By Alex Bloom

Minor league baseball coming to Malden is no longer just a vision.

Malden will seriously consider a $30-million stadium proposal for the nine-acre National Grid site at 100 Commercial Street.

Last week, stadium backers submitted the only plan for the site to the Malden Redevelopment Authority request for potential uses of the land.

If everything goes to plan — including getting neighborhood support for the plan, negotiating a lease agreement between National Grid and the stadium owners, and getting consensus on the project scope — Malden residents could attend opening day at their own 6,000-seat stadium in April 2014.

“I absolutely, positively believe these guys could build this thing on time,” said Stephen Wishoski, executive director of the Malden Redevelopment Authority.

The first steps are already under way to vet the project, submitted by the Boston Baseball Field of Dreams, LLC, as the Malden Redevelopment Authority has set up a committee to look into the proposal. The group consists of Mayor-elect Gary Christenson, Ward 4 City Councillor James Nestor, developer John Preotle, financial analyst Barry Abramson, Wishoski, Malden Redevelopment Authority Assistant Executive Director Deborah Burke, Malden’s principal city planner Michelle Romero, and accountant William Rucci.

“The response they gave us was — in my opinion — excellent,” Wishoski said of the Boston Baseball Field of Dreams proposal.

Alexander Bok, the group’s founder and president, said the group has been looking for greater Boston sites for the stadium for years. The group pushed to land the stadium at sites near Boston College High School and Bunker Hill Community College, both of which fell through.

Malden represents an ideal spot for a stadium, Bok said, because of its location — in short proximity to subway and commuter rail stops as well as Route 1 and Interstate 93. The city also has two parking garages nearby. He expects 40 percent of all attendees will walk or take public transportation to games.

Bok sees minor league baseball as affordable family entertainment, where a family of four could buy tickets, food, and souvenirs for $100.

“It will be something that the whole family will have a great time at,” Bok said.

Bok also believes baseball presents one of the last opportunities in society for families to have quality conversations with their children. The game has many natural pauses and a lot of time to talk.

“If you want to, you can have a very great conversation with your kids,” Bok said.

A Malden team would join the Atlantic League of Professional Baseball, which has eight independent teams and has had alumni that include Hall-of-Famer Rickey Henderson and former Red Sox closer Keith Foulke.

Malden would host 68 home games between late April and mid-September, bringing thousands of people each night to the stadium, surrounding restaurants and stores.

Bok sees the stadium also having a year-round restaurant and conference facilities. Wishoski said that building a stadium might also help the city attract a hotel to downtown.

“What it represents potentially to the city of Malden and downtown is that niche — the thing that nobody else around here has,” Wishoski said.

According to their website, greaterbostonballpark.com, the stadium will be modeled after Hammons Field in Springfield, Mo. Bok is joined by Pete Guiney, the plan’s senior vice president, and a board of advisors that includes John Gillespie, who helped finance other large stadiums including Denver’s Pepsi Center and Baltimore’s Camden Yards.

The group plans to finance the $30-million stadium through corporate sponsors.

Nestor, who represents the downtown area on the City Council, said he hopes the stadium could also attract high school and college baseball tournaments with its turf field. He said the stadium could be “a magnet for income into the city.”

“There’s a lot of disposable income that can go into the restaurants and the stores in the area,” Nestor said.

Bok said he understands that the Boston Red Sox and Fenway Park are the toast of the town for Boston baseball fans, but said that a city with a cathedral can have a great parish church.

“It’s a way to build the next generation of baseball fans,” Bok said.

I wonder if they could integrate retail into the streetwall? How much room could a minor league stadium possibly need to use underneath those stands.

What happens if the team folds in a couple of years? Who would be responsible for redeveloping the site? The developers are presenting their plan at a public meeting on January 12, 7pm, in the Malden City Council Chambers. Please attend if you want more info.

^ That's something fathers and sons can discuss while watching the game ...

“It will be something that the whole family will have a great time at,” Bok said.

Bok also believes baseball presents one of the last opportunities in society for families to have quality conversations with their children. The game has many natural pauses and a lot of time to talk.

“If you want to, you can have a very great conversation with your kids,” Bok said.

WTFFF???

tumblr_lgzl9ycwtc1qzotbeo1_400.jpg

Would you like to take a survey?

I'd really like to see this get done. Would be nice to see a ballgame without having to sell a vital organ.

Back