Manchester Infill & Small Developments

I live right off Elm street, close to the Armory and have owned a home here since 2012. I did not grow up in NH, but I appreciate how business friendly the city is, especially for getting feet on the ground in downtown/Millyard. The city and state are making Manchester a more walkable downtown with helping create the GasIight district and improving the Millyard. I do find the local attitude to be toxic on how negative they view Manchvegas. I do see them as a squeeky wheel that has a small town mind set which is more common in rural New England.
The city is on the upside and with the Biotech field growing in the millyard, the citizens quality of life will improve too. I hear soo many locals complaining about the new bike lanes on Maple, Beech, and Chestnut, but I love how they have slowed down traffic even if only a few use the bike lanes for its proper purpose. Looking forward to the new private developments becoming a reality.

Definitely seems like a place ripe with potential. Having grown up in one of the neighboring towns, it’s come a long way since the 90s and seems like it can go quite a bit further still. The abundance of under utilized properties and the layout of the streets presents ample opportunity for downtown densification and walkability.

While certainly some rural residents think poorly of Manchester, I do see that it has reclaimed its gravitational pull within the state. When I was growing up, Nashua had a better reputation within the state and the two were “rivals”, but somewhere in the early 2000s, Manchester started pulling ahead and attracting more attention. The two towns don’t really seem in the same league anymore.

Beyond that, while very similar in size to several other former industrial towns in New England, Manchester seems to be in a good position and perhaps has greater potential for growth than some of its peers. Potential to become a stronger regional center within Northern New England and perhaps become better known within the rest of New England.

Commuter rail would certainly help with regional economic & cultural connectivity, allow for greater walkability and reinforce its status as one of Boston’s gateway cities.

I live right off Elm street, close to the Armory and have owned a home here since 2012. I did not grow up in NH, but I appreciate how business friendly the city is, especially for getting feet on the ground in downtown/Millyard. The city and state are making Manchester a more walkable downtown with helping create the GasIight district and improving the Millyard. I do find the local attitude to be toxic on how negative they view Manchvegas. I do see them as a squeeky wheel that has a small town mind set which is more common in rural New England.
The city is on the upside and with the Biotech field growing in the millyard, the citizens quality of life will improve too. I hear soo many locals complaining about the new bike lanes on Maple, Beech, and Chestnut, but I love how they have slowed down traffic even if only a few use the bike lanes for its proper purpose. Looking forward to the new private developments becoming a reality.
I grew up in the area and agree that much of the state and many of the city residents view Manchester negatively. Without getting political, part of that depends on who is in charge. Republican administrations tend to take a more contentious approach to Manchester, as well as Nashua & Concord to a lesser extent, so people throughout the state are hearing what a hellhole the place is. Again, not to be political but if you could gage the reputation of Manchester over time, you'd probably see a direct correlation on who's in power in Concord. Truth is, Manchester has problems, but they are no worse, and in most cases much better, than similar sized cities throughout New England. To many people in the state though, anything urban is viewed as foreign and problematic.

Case in point, I know a lot of cops and a couple small-town chiefs of police. It's a well-known secret that many towns drive their homeless population to Manchester and drop them off near New Horizons. In fact, Sanford, Maine was actually caught doing exactly this earlier this year. To top it off, the politicians from many of these towns then go after Manchester, telling it to clean up its house before they'll vote for any state assistance.

Manchester does many things right and has a lot of positives. I completely agree with the bike lanes, which has made those streets much safer and allow people to feel less like they're living next to drag strips. The ARMI initiative could be a complete game-changer and it's in good hands with Kamen leading it.

FishingwithFredo you are 100% correct regarding Manchester's reputation. Growing up in Connecticut, most people I knew viewed NH as mostly Nascar dads and lily white soccer moms who are small minded. But once I moved here I realized southern NH is an extension of Massachusetts with the typical critical view of the bay state. The interesting aspect is if Mass ever eliminated the income and/or sales tax, southern NH would lose part of its appeal. I find this area a womderful place to live and being close to everything New England has to offer.
Regarding the homeless, I am always shocked how scared people are of them. It is sad as many will not treat them with compassion then appear confused when they receive a scowel or dirty look. Manchester is opening a larger shelter and should help once the cold weather strikes

While certainly some rural residents think poorly of Manchester, I do see that it has reclaimed its gravitational pull within the state. When I was growing up, Nashua had a better reputation within the state and the two were “rivals”, but somewhere in the early 2000s, Manchester started pulling ahead and attracting more attention. The two towns don’t really seem in the same league anymore.

I would say the opposite. Southern NH has gotten appeal, but mostly because it's become an extension of MA from people moving there in search of cheaper SFH. Only a tiny amount of Nashua residents work in Boston, but a lot do in MA (mainly 128). But once you get past the border towns, I would think the commute would get too long, even for SFH-or-nothing people.

Manchester residents don't even work in MA.

Manch is getting a Harpoon Brewery as part of what could be a very cool development downtown.

'Queen City Center' to bring Harpoon Brewery, other uses to downtown Manchester​

Oct. 11—For the past year, Travis York has kept a secret about plans to transform an old industrial building in a prime spot in downtown Manchester into a space with a brewery, fitness studios and entertainment options.

The mixed-use development at 215 Canal St., to be known as Queen City Center, will feature Harpoon Brewery, which will open an experimental brewery, scratch kitchen and a taproom. The 30,000-square-foot space will also be home to Union Coffee, Barre Life and Wicked Joyful, a pop-culture shop with apparel and products from the 1980s, 1990s and 2000s.

"Getting all the tenants lined up has been in the works for about a year," said York, the founder and CEO of York Creative Collective, which includes GYK Antler (a marketing agency) and Big Brick Productions.

He was able to mostly keep the project under wraps because they didn't market the space through a real estate broker.

Another occupant will be City Club Golf, a members-only simulated golf club.

"It was important to me that we curated a group of like-minded companies," York said. "I wanted stuff that was locally owned and operated and stuff that I thought would bring some culture and community to Manchester."

York is taking on the multi-million project with his brother Kyle, who together are principals of York Real Estate. The project is being financed by St. Mary's Bank.

The Yorks own the prominent former R.G. Sullivan 7-20-4 Cigar Factory next door, which houses GYK Antler and other businesses. They also transformed Indian Head Athletics, which was owned by their parents, into Shoppers Pub + Eatery.

Travis York also serves on the Union Leader's board of directors.

The Board of Mayor and Aldermen will hold a public hearing next week on a RSA 79-E tax relief program application for the project.

The tax credit program lets developers who improve blighted properties in downtown areas delay paying property taxes on the value of the improvements..

More projects nearby

Much of the original concrete and wooden ceilings at 215 Canal will be incorporated into the "industrial chic meets comfortable" decor of the new development.

The name comes from its central location near Delta Dental Stadium, SNHU Arena, the Millyard and downtown. The space is directly behind the DoubleTree hotel and expo center.

The development will have 40 parking spots and access to the nearby parking garage on Granite Street.

The two-story building was once home to Lew A. Cummings Co. Inc. More recently, Mentis Sciences occupied the space.

The Yorks bought the building for $2.3 million in October 2021, according to city assessor records.

Union Coffee, a specialty coffee roaster, and Barre Life, a fitness studio owned by local entrepreneur Ashley Oberg, will be on the ground floor. Both will offer outdoor space for their customers.

The redevelopment comes as a similar industrial building on Old Granite Street takes on new life. Hometown Coffee and the Goat Bar and Grill already are operating there, with Republic Brewing Co. set to be opened by Peter Macone, the former managing partner of Campo Enoteca and Republic Cafe.

Travis York sees the project as a complement to the recent growth in and near downtown, including hundreds of housing units.

"The city needs more unique, diverse kinds of spots," York said.

Jodie Nazaka, the city's economic development director, said the project will draw people from across the region as well as those those passing through heading north.

"When people go to a brewery, they usually hop around to different ones," she said. "It's going to be a destination for that."

The city envisions 7,000 new jobs as part of a $44 million grant from the U.S. Economic Development Administration going for the new biofabrication industry starting to spring up in the Millyard.

"In order to realize those 7,000 jobs that are projected in that funding, we need to create an environment that people are attracted to," she said. "So that means not only creating attractive housing opportunities, but also entertainment and amenities."

More green space

Part of the Queen City Center project includes ripping up West Central Street, which the city discontinued, to make green space for an outdoor beer garden for Harpoon. The space — to be known as "The Quad" — will be redesigned with retaining walls and will feature artwork.

York said such spaces doesn't really exist right now downtown.

"We'll be able to have things like farmers' markets or art shows or different things like that," he said.

York's Big Brick Productions will operate up to three studios in the building in connection with GYK Antler.

Studio A, a 2,500-square-foot space, will be used for music and other ticketed events.

Comedian Nick Lavallee, owner of Wicked Joyful, will open his first retail spot in the development. He also will help with some of the creative design of the spaces. Lavallee was behind the effort to make Manchester the "The Chicken Tender Capital of the World."

Harpoon will take up about 12,000 square feet of the building, said York, who has done work for the brand in the past. Harpoon has locations in Boston and Windsor, Vermont.

"They are employee-owned, which is cool, because that means they really embrace the community and do a lot of charitable stuff," York said.

Charlie Storey, chief of customer engagement for Harpoon Brewery, said they jumped at the opportunity to open in the new space.

"We can't wait to create a vibrant, local spot where people can gather to enjoy incredible food, amazing New England beers — and most importantly — great times together," he said in a statement.

Queen City Center is 90% full, with room for maybe one more business, likely a shop.

"We want to see who comes out of the woodwork," York said. "We have a lot of interesting ideas of what this could end up being for a retailer or somebody else who fits the property."

Big changes coming to the Manchester schools.

Screenshot-2023-11-14-at-8.22.58-AM.png

New Beech Street School
Screenshot-2023-11-14-at-8.23.08-AM.png

Proposals for new high school that will replace Central

Screenshot-2023-11-14-at-8.24.35-AM.png

Screenshot-2023-11-14-at-8.24.59-AM.png

Screenshot-2023-11-14-at-8.25.06-AM-1536x866.png

Screenshot-2023-11-14-at-8.25.15-AM.png

Desperately needed additions to city's affordable housing stock...

Affordable housing construction set to begin at Merrimack and Chestnut​

MANCHESTER, N.H. – On a very chilly Wednesday morning, city officials and local business leaders gathered near the corner of Merrimack and Chestnut Streets to inaugurate construction on new affordable housing that will be coming to that intersection.

Lincoln Avenue Capital will construct housing at 351 Chestnut St., the former site of the Manchester Police Department headquarters, as well as at 80 Merrimack St., another currently vacant lot. A small park will be placed between the two new buildings and the Norris Cotton Federal Building and a third development at 167 Lake Ave. operated by Families in Transition that will help create emergency housing for families experiencing homelessness.

The groundbreaking represents what is the largest investment by a private real estate developer in Manchester history and one of the largest affordable housing developments in state history.

DSC_0731-771x514.jpg

Combined, the projects will create 142 units of apartments for individuals making anywhere from 0-60 percent of the city’s average median annual income or AMI. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, Manchester’s AMI in 2020 was $33,675 for an individual or $62,087 for a household. Within those units, 30 will be set aside for veterans.

Manchester Mayor Joyce Craig also noted that Lincoln Avenue Capital is working with local artists to incorporate public art into the new buildings and open spaces that will be placed at the intersection.

“Instead of abandoned buildings and empty parking lots, this corner will become home to three new apartment buildings teeming with life,” she said.

Three projects were supported by $3 million in federal grant fundingallocated to Manchester and approved by the Board of Mayor and Aldermen, waivers for building permit fees until issuance of a certificate of occupancy as well as other funding from the city and InvestNH for affordable housing development, part of approximately $18.5 million allocated by the city during Craig’s tenure as mayor.

80-Merrimack-Street-Design-771x582.png

80 Chestnut Street

351-Chestnut-Street-Design-1-771x432.png

351 Chestnut Street

I am curious about what will be constructed where the old Michael's hair salon building is located, adjacent to the SNHU arena. I know the property is currently for sale. Hopefully some apartments or mixed development. This is still technically the Gaslight district. Quite a bit a change in the past 10 years in this area. A piano bar or club would be nice, with some apartments above it.

I am curious about what will be constructed where the old Michael's hair salon building is located, adjacent to the SNHU arena. I know the property is currently for sale. Hopefully some apartments or mixed development. This is still technically the Gaslight district. Quite a bit a change in the past 10 years in this area. A piano bar or club would be nice, with some apartments above it.
Looking at the listing, Elm Street Auto and Granite State Fruit are not part of the parcel for sale. Hopefully a potential buyer can negotiate purchase of those properties as well. Otherwise, it would be difficult to see anyone wanting to redevelop with those dumpy properties adjacent to it.

I realize it will take time, but it would be nice to just bulldoze everything south of the arena and start fresh lol. Such a blighted neighborhood.

Yes plus the owner of vape store held up the construction of 409 Elm - Red Oak apartment building. I am happy to see that area changing. I know the city really wants the Gaslight district to be the place to go to in southern NH.

Crazy. In an ideal world, Michael’s would get redeveloped quickly and the vape shop + auto place would be next on the list. That would be a nice start to getting this stretch in a better state. Then it could work its way toward Valley St.

Would be nice to see the Murphy’s lot get redeveloped as well, or better yet include Murphy’s.

Can see where redeveloping South Elm could be difficult and take time. Visually that area is so bad, it would be difficult to see much appeal until substantial redevelopment were already underway, because every new project will be adjacent to blight until significant work were already complete/underway. That’s why Micheal’s is so important, fill in the gap between Red Oak and then work south toward Valley.

Crazy. In an ideal world, Michael’s would get redeveloped quickly and the vape shop + auto place would be next on the list. That would be a nice start to getting this stretch in a better state. Then it could work its way toward Valley St.

Would be nice to see the Murphy’s lot get redeveloped as well, or better yet include Murphy’s.

Can see where redeveloping South Elm could be difficult and take time. Visually that area is so bad, it would be difficult to see much appeal until substantial redevelopment were already underway, because every new project will be adjacent to blight until significant work were already complete/underway. That’s why Micheal’s is so important, fill in the gap between Red Oak and then work south toward Valley.

I think that huge RAISE project that's been funded and is in the planning stages is going to be a huge help for South Elm. It will create a new entrance to the South Millyard/Ballpark area as well as create a new gateway for Granite Street and greatly improve pedestrian access across the whole area. The access point from Elm is going to be right near the current MTA lot, which is supposed to move.

https://www.raisemanchester.org/

four-primary-projects-e1668733433302-800x1236.jpg
granite-street-pedestrian-connection.jpg

20230524-Granite-St.-Plan-View-BW-Edit-1200x675.png

Screenshot-2023-05-29-164308-771x458.png

Have seen that, hopefully construction can begin sooner rather than later. The connection over the tracks to South Commercial could be particularly helpful for residential. It would provide easy access to the river, which would help give that area some walking appeal. That, and with the supermarket across the street could make it a viable walkable neighborhood. Need to get another project or two going to give that area some momentum.

Have also seen a map with some proposed zoning changes as well. Will have to dig around for that.

I wish they'd reconnect those roads that are severed by Queen City Ave to break up its somewhat stroad-y nature. So close to downtown, it makes sense to slow cars down a bit, especially given that they intend to extend the rail trail across the road into downtown, though I understand that people on those streets may not want the risk of more car traffic.

I was surprised how well-used the rail trail was on the other end, near Nutt Pond, with my mother when I was there in October. Just shows how--at least when it's not frozen outside--people are eager for conveniently-located outdoor spaces. It is a shame, though, that South Willow continues to be a car-oriented sprawl zone.

Looks like the Meineke/Michaels Hair Design plot is finally getting redeveloped

Hundreds of more apartment units planned for downtown Manchester​

Jonathan Phelps, The New Hampshire Union Leader, Manchester
Updated Wed, April 17, 2024 at 4:06 AM EDT·3 min read

Apr. 16—Hundreds of new apartments are under construction all around downtown Manchester, and hundreds more are in the pipeline.

One of the latest proposed projects will bring 250 units next to the SNHU Arena on Elm Street. Grand Maison (https://avatarconstructioninc.com/portfolio/grand-maison-in-manchester-nh/), as it will be called, received needed variances, including one for density, from the Manchester Zoning Board of Appeals last week.

1713358438259.png

Another project involves converting the upper floors of a five-story brick office building at 959 Elm St., known as the Dunlap Building, into 36 apartments. The project also received a density variance last week.

Eli Leino, an attorney representing Grand Maison, told the board more density in the downtown business district is called for in the city's master plan. The properties on Elm and Auburn streets are in the Arena Overlay District.

The six-story building is expected to have commercial space on the ground floor and "quality market-rate housing" units, according to the plans.
"It's a great opportunity for the city to add a significant number of housing units," Leino told the board last week.
The projects joined the fray of thousands of units being developed across the city in the past three years, including 250 units expected to open across Auburn Street from Market Basket.

The 75 Canal project, at 501 Elm, 533 Elm and 30 Auburn streets, is being developed on the former site of a long- vacant building, Meineke Car Care Center and the Granite State Fruit Co. warehouse. The project takes up 100% of the footprint, according to the plans.

Bridgewater Co., with offices in Massachusetts and New Hampshire, is building a smaller apartment building on Central Street at the spot of the former Athens Restaurant. That building has been branded as Grand Central Suites (https://avatarconstructioninc.com/portfolio/grand-central-suites-in-manchester-nh/).

1713358476671.png

Attorney John Cronin said North Street Properties' Dunlap project is similar to others downtown "as the demand for office space wanes and the demand for residential explodes."

The company was expected to seek a tax break before the Board of Mayor and Aldermen Tuesday night.

The market-rate units, between 315 and 530 square feet, likely will offer lower rents than others because of the size. The plans call for 30 one-bedroom units and six studio apartments, with rents ranging from $1,500 to $1,700, according to documents submitted to the city.

"My understanding in the downtown is that there has been a cry for a lot more one-bedrooms," Cronin said.

An atrium will be constructed to make sure all units have windows. New windows will be cut into the brick exterior in some parts of the building.
Manchester Economic Development Director Jodie Nazaka said the vacancy rate for apartments remains below 1%, which has caught the attention of developers, both locally and from outside the state.

"We are continuing to see the trend that there is a want and a need for multifamily units within our downtown," she said. "This has been a steady trend for the last three years now."

A growing bio-fabrication and bio-manufacturing industry is bringing more workers to the Millyard. United Therapeutics plans to hire 100 workers in the future.
Part of the discussion on Grand Maison revolved around parking. Bridgewater plans 115 garage spots but could double the number with a stacking system, such as those used in larger cities.

Possibilities for the commercial units include a cafe or yoga studio.

The "live, work, play dream" is also driving some of the demand, Nazaka said.

The city is working with developers to ensure a good mix of uses downtown.

"We want people to come and live in our downtown, but we want to make sure we have the amenities to support their lifestyle," Nazaka said.
The department also is recruiting shops and other businesses to move to the city, which includes grants and low-interest business loans, she said.

Back