Manchester Infill & Small Developments

Has Manchester St recently been updated with new street lights and sidewalks?

I haven't been down there in awhile, but the sidewalks were seriously dumpy before, so if they're not anymore I'd say yes. That's good news--Manchester is the only side street with a reasonably good mid-block connection to the best block of Hanover--it would be great for some of the liveliness of Hanover to spill over. The street will need a change of use for that to happen, but infrastructure investment and beautification will definitely help.

Do you know of any of the restaurants or shops in particular that have closed? Sadly, that's the nature of the business even in good times, but it is unfortunate and not a great sign. On a more positive note, I will say that the dining scene in Manchester has improved immensely over where it was five years ago or so. Republic was a James Beard Award semifinalist this year, and overall the number of high-end, and just plain, very good restaurants has exploded compared to a few years ago.

Personally, though, I really miss Jewell and the Beanstalk--it was a great little breakfast/lunch cafe on the East Side in the Somerville neighborhood. Very cool, old spot with great original storefront windows on the bottom of a triple-decker. It was the perfect example of a good neighborhood joint making great food and providing a great atmosphere, but they closed this past fall after about a dozen years in business. That was a big loss--Manchester needs more neighborhood spots like that, not less.

Beanstalk is one, that place in Cat alley is up for lease. And Wings your Way.

Yeah, the streets are upgraded on Manchester St. I thought it was dumpy last I knew, but was unsure of myself.

But the long talk about the arts district there along that street I think has begun to take form. Some buildings I think are going to be upgraded soon too on that street.

Beanstalk is one, that place in Cat alley is up for lease. And Wings your Way.

Yeah, the streets are upgraded on Manchester St. I thought it was dumpy last I knew, but was unsure of myself.

But the long talk about the arts district there along that street I think has begun to take form. Some buildings I think are going to be upgraded soon too on that street.

Yeah, I really miss the Beanstalk, as I mentioned. Personally, I like the Farm better than Wings Your Way, but I haven't been back there since January. It's such a cool space in there, though, with the old stone arch to the back bar and patio, so I hope the Farm lasts there. It's a lot better than the string of seedy bars and clubs that were there before Wings Your Way.

That's really exciting to hear about Manchester St--I think some sort of arts district there would work great. There's already sort of an arts or cultural crescent, from Hanover up to the Pine maybe--the Palace, NHIA, the Library and Historical Association. I wish the Currier was closer to the city center, but otherwise that's a pretty good collection of cultural institutions right there. Sprucing up Manchester St would add another very viable cross-street with lots of intact older buildings and add to the cultural area.

I've only had a chance to watch this with the sound off (at the office), but there's a video on NECN about the retail revival on Elm Street.

Some of those new coffee shops/bakeries sound like a great addition to downtown, and fill a major void.

As a side note, does anyone know how to embed a video that is not from YouTube?

Awesome. I drive downtown quite often, and you can sense that downtown is more lively and vibrant. During work hours there are lots of pedestrians, and on weekend nights there are lots of people going to the clubs. Thumbs up for Manchester.

Looks like we (and NECN) are not the only ones noticing Manchester's growth, and thinking about where it goes from here. I just stumbled across a panel discussion from last month published in NHBR, entitled Taking Manchester to 'the next level'. It's a collection of leading Mancunians from government, private business, the arts, non-profits and education, and very interesting. Check out the whole thing, but this is one of my favorite excerpts:

Paul LeBlanc, president, Southern New Hampshire University: Great baseball team, great hockey, but these are events. If you were to invite somebody to get out and walk downtown Manchester, it would not be a pleasant stroll like what you may have in Portsmouth. You don't have the smart shops, don't have a bookstore, don't have an art movie house, or even a regular movie house, downtown.

You're right. It's about who you want to attract. We've hired a hundred new full-time people in the last 12 months. The 20-somethings can have a good time hanging out at Strange Brew or J.W. Hill's once in a while, but it isn't the environment that says to them, "Hey, you want to come live in this town."

Another cohort is the bunch of 30-somethings who have kids, and in that case it isn't very good either when they're looking at schools. So they go to the outlying communities, and they live their lives there and come into Manchester -- which adds to Manchester's vibrancy on Elm Street. But there are some things about the vibrancy of downtown that really confines our thinking, because I don't know what Manchester's overarching narrative is.

To some extent, the power of storytelling is that people become what they pretend to be. In other words, craft a narrative with branding and let's see if we can challenge the community to live up to it and coordinate to it and build towards it and then we'll actually look like the thing we want to be and people will actually start being attracted to it.

I couldn't agree more about needing to attract people to Manchester not just for events, or even for a meal, but to live in the city center. And to get there, Manchester does need to re-brand itself and create a narrative. I totally agree--and would love to see this happen--that Manchester can and needs to develop a narrative or a vision about what it wants to be, and then work to grow into that. It is and always will be the business capital of the state, but it needs to be more. It won't be Portsmouth and that's okay, but it needs to live up to its potential and act like the city it is.

There's all kinds of stuff like that in this article--big, grand ideas and problems to be tackled, as well as more specific, exciting potential projects like a downtown movie theatre, or a downtown dorm for SNHU. Leblanc makes several excellent points, including repeatedly saying how important integration is. That's something that is hugely missing in hyper-local New Hampshire: how building a downtown dorm depends on reliable transit between downtown and SNHU, for instance.

Adam McCune has a nice column in today's UL on the positive improvements the city--and the Victory Park area, in particular--that the growth of NHIA has brought about.

I think, perhaps more than any other single thing, NHIA has been hugely responsible for the recent revitalization of downtown. Having young, artistic/creative people living, working and "playing" in the heart of the Queen City does even more to change and urbanize the city than the events at the Verizon and ballpark and the accompanying growth in restaurants.

I'm hoping to see the Victory Park area--at the heart of what the Planning Department has called the Cultural District--take off even more. I'd love to see the surface Hartnett parking lot built on in the future. More NHIA buildings or a private, mixed-use development would be great, especially with some park-facing retail.

victory-park-manchester-new-hampshire.jpg

Victory Park, Manchester, New Hampshire
Author: James Lee (Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic)

Adam McCune has a nice column in today's UL on the positive improvements the city--and the Victory Park area, in particular--that the growth of NHIA has brought about.

I think, perhaps more than any other single thing, NHIA has been hugely responsible for the recent revitalization of downtown. Having young, artistic/creative people living, working and "playing" in the heart of the Queen City does even more to change and urbanize the city than the events at the Verizon and ballpark and the accompanying growth in restaurants.

I'm hoping to see the Victory Park area--at the heart of what the Planning Department has called the Cultural District--take off even more. I'd love to see the surface Hartnett parking lot built on in the future. More NHIA buildings or a private, mixed-use development would be great, especially with some park-facing retail.

victory-park-manchester-new-hampshire.jpg

Victory Park, Manchester, New Hampshire
Author: James Lee (Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic)

Interesting, thanks for sharing. I think the key is to make the place a destination again. To me, that means a couple of things. First, ask why you want it to be a destination (i.e., why do we care if people and activity are in downtown?). Then, it becomes readily apparent that it is already a destination, just one less sought-out than it perhaps used to be. Then the question is: why? To answer that, ask what first made this place a destination, and then ask how to reinvent that energy or reimagine the same magnetic force. In Manchester, it would be the river. Why does the City exist where and how it does? Because of the river. Therefore, the most sensible answer to creating a magnetic draw to downtown Manchester isn't (in my opinion) retail, it is capitalizing on the riverfront. I don't mean with a nice trail, either, I mean a drastic reinvention of the space, with massive public subsidies of infrastructure improvements and pedestrian friendly amenities (all of which would probably be cheaper than repaving the area around the mall, and which would be recouped in tax value capture). Make the riverfront a one-of-a-kind destination, the type of place that would make people naturally want to open retail around it (rather than saying "let's put some retail fronting the park there, to enhance the park, why not enhance the park to draw the retail? The same principle should be applied to the river, in my opinion). I know this is nothing new, and the City has plans revolving around the riverfront, but I guess what I'm saying is that for all the talk in Manchester (and everywhere else in the country) about what needs to be done to revitalize a place, the answer is not simply artists and retail--not to suggest that is all the author meant--but it is the magnetic force that only a city can create, and has created (by definition, that's why its there) in the past. Finding out what that magnet is will allow the city to continue being what it's meant to be, albeit in a reimagined form. In an era of internet and googling, there is no shortage of ideas out there about how to capitalize on assets. Look at riverfronts in Europe, and compare to those in the U.S. -- they play fundamentally different roles. This has become a rant and sorry for that, but I work in a mill community and see a lot of the same things pop up here too.

That parking lot, Hartnett, I think is a good parking lot, however the spot makes an even better location for shops or something else. But if the parking lot was build underground or above shops, I think that would be an even better move rather than just getting rid of it. Even one level below shops. Parking is already so scarce.

That parking lot, Hartnett, I think is a good parking lot, however the spot makes an even better location for shops or something else. But if the parking lot was build underground or above shops, I think that would be an even better move rather than just getting rid of it. Even one level below shops. Parking is already so scarce.

Parking is the bane of any urban center and not one additional spot should be built, if it can be avoided. If the market requires it, to bring people in during the day, let the developers build it, but don't require it if it's not necessary. Scarce parking is good in a way because it forces new development patterns based on alternative transit and walkability (i.e., traditionally successful principles of urbanism). More parking = more cars. More cars = wider roads. Wider roads = no window shopping, al-fresco dining, public space, etc.

Patrick great point regarding parking in urban/downtown areas. The great debate in Manchester is if they should make the northern part of Elm (between Salmon St. and Bridge St.) one lane and add metered parking on both sides or keep it the way it is. Most of the businesses want them to add more parking, and it will slow down cars/trucks zipping down Elm. But many argue it will slow traffic which is either trying to get on I-93 going up Bridge or going over the Merrimack(also Bridge St.) and getting on I-293.Elm St. can be quite dangerous to cross at night or at dusk since many forget they are in an urban area or just plain don't care.

Patrick great point regarding parking in urban/downtown areas. The great debate in Manchester is if they should make the northern part of Elm (between Salmon St. and Bridge St.) one lane and add metered parking on both sides or keep it the way it is. Most of the businesses want them to add more parking, and it will slow down cars/trucks zipping down Elm. But many argue it will slow traffic which is either trying to get on I-93 going up Bridge or going over the Merrimack(also Bridge St.) and getting on I-293.Elm St. can be quite dangerous to cross at night or at dusk since many forget they are in an urban area or just plain don't care.

The one exception in my mind to the point I made above is on-street parking, where the ability to park a car in VIP spaces is incidental to the true benefit -- slowing traffic and creating a pedestrian buffer. On-street parking aint bad.

Yeah, making the road narrower (even if it is done by adding parking) is a good move towards walkability, slower cars, easier to cross the st. I think though, in Manchester, any wider roads should be converted into a road with a bike lane. Haverhill just did this on 97 going into Groveland. Many places are adding simple painted bike lanes that prove to be very effective and I see many bikers. Newburyport, Nashua, Haverhill, and all over the cape.

Just applied to be the economic development director in Somersworth -- anyone have any insight about the town?

Just applied to be the economic development director in Somersworth -- anyone have any insight about the town?

The NH Aquarium Society holds its meetings there at one of the schools. That about all I know of the town.

I wasn't aware of the consideration to reduce the width/lanes of northern Elm, but it's a great idea. Elm Street between Bridge and Granite used to be like it is north of Bridge, and the wider sidewalks, angled parking and reduced lanes have made a wide street into an enjoyable place to stroll, eat on the sidewalk and be in general.

The northern portion of Elm has struggled to feel like part of downtown, I think, despite having many intact, urban buildings (even more so than some more successful parts of Elm where there are a few single-story buildings). Crossing Bridge Street, though, you just don't feel like you're downtown anymore. There's that nice bend in Elm just south of Bridge that makes the area feel a bit more enclosed, but it's also just that it doesn't feel like a highway there. Reducing to a single lane should be no problem for traffic, and couple that with planting some trees, widening sidewalks and some other efforts, and I think it would feel like part of downtown in no time.

I also think that Monopoly's suggestion to add bike lanes should be considered in addition to anything else done to reduce the width and speed of cars north of Elm (or elsewhere in the city), and make the area feel more urban. Unfortunately, the angle-in parking used on Elm Street is very dangerous for bicyclists, so a bike lane would have to be on the sidewalk or something. Or the city could try back-in, angled parking, which Somerville is preparing to implement in Union Square. Apparently this is much safer for motorists and bicyclists, with the same increased parking/reduced street width benefits of angle-in parking.

The only increase in parking that I would support downtown, though would be on-street parking that also increases the walkability and urbanity of the city, such as reducing the lanes of northern Elm. There's really plenty of parking in downtown Manchester. You can't always park right in front of where you're going, but that's the point anyway. But there is ample parking on the fringes of downtown even in the middle of the workday. Manchester needs to support more efforts like the Green DASH free downtown bus, which allow people to park once even on the edge of downtown and get around easily without their cars. Ideally, the Green DASH service should be extended into the evening (at least on weekends and during major events) and on Saturdays. And even more ideally, there should be more frequent bus service along major corridors connecting neighborhoods with downtown. There's no reason to add parking or for someone to have to dry from a walkable neighborhood like the North End or Rimmon Heights to downtown, except a lack of support for public transit, bike lanes and so on from the city.

All I can say in response is bikes.

I have no idea about the following as I have not thought about it nor researched it at all, but what about center street bike lanes?

I have never really seen sidewalk bike lanes either, however I bet these are common.

Wasn't there a market basket proposed for downtown a while back -- I wonder why it couldn't look like this:
16776650054.jpg

Back