Manchester Infill & Small Developments

Despite having a historic building stock and relatively consistent street wall, Manchester Street has always seemed to struggle, particularly relative to Hanover. If the city could ever talk Citizens into moving its parking lot underground and making that lot a quality urban park (think central fountain and gardens), I think it might help open the area a bit and would particularly help Manchester St. The lot currently is pretty surrounded by buildings and I think it would be well utilized. Additionally, the brick plaza directly behind Citizens could be developed into a cafe or something that might spur more streetlife within the park.

Part of the reason Manchester Street has struggled is definitely the concentration of social service agencies, particularly those catering to the homeless, on the street. I don't mean that to sound callous--just that people generally don't want to open up shops or wander down a street lined with social service agencies, and that those agencies are probably spending most of their money on things other than facade beautification and the like.

I wouldn't want to displace those agencies, which are vital to the city's most vulnerable population, but if they could be consolidated nearby--and remain accessible to their service population, perhaps in the Police Station once they move to Valley Street--then Manchester Street could be redeveloped, and the buildings renovated into an extension of Hanover Street. Ironically, the Citizens Bank garage is probably to thank for the wide (for an alley) Nutfield Lane connecting them, as I'm pretty this was a narrow alley and buildings before it was built.

I don't see Citizens giving up its garage or footing the bill to bury it any time soon, but I bet if a developer offered them the right price for the land where their drive-through is, they'd sell that (there's a drive-through at another branch a mile or so north on Elm). I know Greg Barrett, a local real estate agent and developer, has suggested turning that spot into a small park. That might work, but I wonder if building something on the drive-through site with retail facing Nutfield and Manchester wouldn't be better. That could be more of a draw to walk down Nutfield between Hanover and Manchester Streets.

Hanover block to be closed to cars?

MANCHESTER — A proposal to turn one of downtown Manchester's most eclectic streets into a pedestrian walkway for at least part of the week faces scrutiny tonight.

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20120619/NEWS06/706199921

I just wrote about this on LivableMHT yesterday.

And according to the UL today, it sounds like it was very warmly received and eagerly given initial approval by the two committees last night:

The Committee on Public Safety, Health and Traffic and the Special Committee on Job Creation, Retention and Economic Development both gave the go-ahead to close Hanover Street on Friday and Saturday nights, starting July 13 through Aug. 4.

The street will be closed from the intersection of Chestnut Street to the intersection with Nutfield Lane, the side street used to access the Citizen Bank building parking garage. Hanover Street would close Friday and Saturday night at 6 p.m. and re-open at 7 a.m. Saturday and Sunday morning, a compromise move the alder*men included to address concerns of some Hanover Street retailers.

The police and fire departments have to sign off, and the full Board of Mayor and Aldermen must approve it, which will probably happen some time in the next two weeks.

Restaurants will be able to extend outdoor dining into the parallel parking spots on the street, leaving the center of the street open to pedestrians only. It sounds like the Palace Theatre, Intown Manchester and businesses might try to get entertainers--bands or performers--into the open space of the street, but that given the limited time to plan, that might not happen until next year, assuming this year is a success.

And it sounds like aldermen, for the most part, are very excited about the proposal, which is great:

Alderman Patrick Long is also eying the program for expansion, perhaps closing Hanover Street for the entire weekend.

“In other communities, it has been very successful,” said Long. Making cities more friendly to pedestrians is something Manchester and other cities are striving for, he added. “People would rather walk. I don’t know if you’ve tried to use a crosswalk on Elm Street lately. It’s not fun.”

Long wouldn’t be opposed to closing part of Elm Street if this program proves successful, especially if it cuts down on traffic and competition for parking.

“The more we set that (walking) mindset, the better off the downtown will be and we won’t have those parking issues,” said Long.

Does anyone know what happened to the BoA HQ on Elm street?

They are not there any longer. I think they do not exist and only exist in that white building on Granite, same with the ATM. but maybe the ATM stayed at the BoA building.

I think the actual office part of the BoA building moved elsewhere, but the customer service disappeared.

I hope another big business starts using the building soon. It looks like the city is doing poorly when there is a blank sign on one of its prominent buildings.

blank sign replaced a bank sign, haha.

Yeah, I think some businesses are already in there. Was in the UL a while back, ages actually.

The Union Leader has an article today about Hooksett getting a grant to establish a historic district around its village.

Hooksett was one of 22 communities selected from a field of 32 applicants for the award. Out of the almost $830,000 collectively sought by the municipalities, New Hampshire Housing awarded over $550,000 in grant money in total.
Other communities to receive funding were Amherst, Brookline, Dover, Dunbarton, Enfield, Farmington, Goffstown, Greenfield, Hampton, Hampton Falls, Keene, Laconia, Lebanon, Manchester, Milford, Peterborough, Portsmouth, Rindge, Salisbury, Seabrook, and Temple.
Other funded projects statewide include the development of mixed-use and multi-family housing overlay zones in village centers; downtown infill ordinances; form-based codes; building codes that focus on energy efficiency; conservation subdivision ordinances; corridor planning for areas of heavy commercial and automobile activity.

This is New Hampshire Housing’s first round of community planning grants. A second installment of awards will be made later this year, focusing on municipalities that wish to create neighborhood heritage districts or promote affordable housing via zoning ordinances.

I think the more interesting part of the article, though, is this is only one of 22 grants issued by the New Hampshire Housing Finance Authority to cities and towns, including Manchester. It doesn't say what the other grants are specifically, but the press release mentions "development of mixed-use and multi-family housing overlay zones in village centers; downtown infill ordinances; neighborhood heritage districts; form-based codes." I hope some of those will be implemented in Manchester.

St. Mary's new head quarters building has begun. Drove by it today.

I saw that, too--the drive-thru was still up Friday night, and torn down by Sunday morning. I didn't get a good enough look, but it's obviously closer to the road than the current building. From what you could see, did it look like it would be pretty close to the road? In the site plan I saw last year, it was set back a bit--looks like the city still has a right-of-way for the old alignment of Amory, and the new building will be built against that. I think it will be a huge improvement over the current building and give some sense of urban enclosure there--along with the mills across the street--but that area obviously needs a lot more redevelopment before it will feel like a real neighborhood again. I hope St. Mary's is just the beginning.

The fence for construction was right up against the sidewalk, and they are keeping the current building open during construction. And the building is going to be larger. So it can only be so far away from the sidewalk.

The Union Leader is reporting that the City has found a new way to blow an unprecedented opportunity for urban restoration at Granite Landing. The city-owned (or possibly owned by the quasi-public MDC) land on Second Street off the I-293 interchange has the potential to be developed as a mixed-use, maybe even high-rise project. Ground-floor retail with offices or residences above could completely remake Granite Square. Instead, the City is entertaining a proposal for a drive-thru Dunkin Donuts. If this is what Manchester's city leaders view as progress, then Manchester needs new leadership!

The region’s largest coffee shop chain wants to replace a small store near the Granite Street interchange with Interstate 293 with a restaurant will allow drivers to reload on caffeine without leaving their cars.

The planning board received notice Thursday night of a proposal to build a new Dunkin’ Donuts shop on a vacant lot on Granite Street, formerly owned by a city social club.

Reconstruction of ramps at I-293 and Granite Street forced the St. Raphael Social Club to relocate. After skirmishes over a new Granite Street location, the club moved to Blaine Street. The site of the new shop is a couple of blocks from an existing Dunkin’ Donuts. But that doughnut shop does not have a drive-through window.

A public hearing will now be scheduled on the proposal.

Hasn't this already came up. I remember making the point that only about 300-500 feet away (literally) is another coffee shop, oh look, it is a Donkin Donuts.

Dude, the city should just hold onto the land until the economy picks up and the right opportunity comes. Again, a dunkin donuts would work if it had multiple floors and no drive through. I could even see a drive thru being incorporated.

But in the long run a more prominent structure will make the city look better and wouldn't it bring in more cash if it had more tenants/businesses/floor space?

Hasn't this already came up. I remember making the point that only about 300-500 feet away (literally) is another coffee shop, oh look, it is a Donkin Donuts.

Dude, the city should just hold onto the land until the economy picks up and the right opportunity comes. Again, a dunkin donuts would work if it had multiple floors and no drive through. I could even see a drive thru being incorporated.

But in the long run a more prominent structure will make the city look better and wouldn't it bring in more cash if it had more tenants/businesses/floor space?

Totally agree with all of that. It has come up before... it's just moving forward now.

A few exciting things in Manchester:

Will Stewart, of GoodGood Manchester and the Greater Manchester Chamber of Commerce, was just named one of only 40 members of the 2012 Next American Vanguard Class. It is a huge honor and very well deserved, and it's great to have such a highly regarded and dedicated person working to make Manchester a more vibrant, livable city.

AAH3550-350x235.jpg

UNH-Manchester is taking over the first floor of the Pandora Mill building
. It's good to see the ground floor going to a semi-public use, and to see UNH-M expanding a bit.

Also, I had a rare (for me) chance to spend some time downtown during the workweek a couple weeks ago. I was in town for an appointment, and took the opportunity to find a spot to park in the Millyard and walk up Stark & Market Streets to get lunch on Elm St and scope out downtown at its most bustling. Downtown can get pretty busy on weekend nights, but downtown Manchester--and especially the Millyard--is most bustling during the workweek and the happy hour that follows. Arriving at lunch, there were many people walking up and down Stark St with food, picnicking in the grass of Arms Park along the river, enjoying sidewalk seating at cafes and restaurants, and of course walking up and down Elm St.

If Manchester could just get a small portion of those people to live downtown (or in nearby neighborhoods) as opposed to commuting in from the suburbs, downtown could really come alive. Fortunately, walking up Stark St, I was able to see that work was well underway at converting the massive Tower Mill into apartments. This will be huge for downtown and the Millyard. Having a couple hundred (presumably) loft-style apartments available right downtown, a short walk from work in the Millyard and the bars, restaurants and shops downtown, and with views of the river, Uncanoouncs and Elm St, should be a big drawn for young professionals.

I was also happy to see a Green DASH bus coming up Elm St when I realized that my parking meter was about to expire. I love free, frequent public transit--especially when it saves me from a parking ticket.

I also drove by the Municipal Complex on Valley St, which appears to be nearing completion. I'm not sure how I feel about the police station yet, but the administration building is pretty handsome, and both buildings are certainly bold. And it's great to see some height and a strong street wall along Valley St.

Admin%20from%20Police%20Roof%20July%2018%202012.jpg

I like the more Modern look. It is attractive looking. I like when cities have a mix of modern style and old historical renovated buildings. Anything is better than what was there.

Center of NH (that tower next to the Radison, is getting a half million renovation. It sounds like it will be primarily in the lobby and common areas including elevators. The Union Leader reported this recently. Nothing too exciting, but it is money hat is moving in this economy.

Anyone hear any more on the proposed apartments along the riverfront, or the West Mill conversion?

Also noticed this: http://www.newenglandchiliclassic.com/index.htm#.UDXAX_ue4RY

I am assuming since the past two years was so good with the Chili fest, they wanna keep it going. But the World Chili competition was a two year opportunity.

Nice Brown. I went o UNHM for a year before I decided to start my own business. Actually in the process of opening up shop now in Manchester. But yeah, There has been so much talk about UNHM expanding, I really think a new Arms park with a new UNHM building would work out fantastic for them, but either way, almost all the Mill buildings now have been renovated / inhabited which is awesome! UNHM was an awesome school, and if I am to go back to school UNHM would be a top choice for me. Cheaper and closer than UNHD.

Good to hear though you are almost done school. That's awesome

Back