Manchester's Refugees

Smuttynose

Reaction score
this is a surprise...

Report finds Manchester takes in bulk of state's refugees
By KATHRYN MARCHOCKI
Union Leader Staff
1 hour, 21 minutes ago

Manchester ? Manchester alone accepted more refugees in 2004 than did 23 states ? and did so with little apparent consideration given to whether enough suitable jobs, affordable housing, health and educational services exist to ensure their success in America, a city report on refugee resettlement revealed.

In addition, the state of New Hampshire took in refugees at a rate of 43.2 per 100,000 population in 2004, three times the national rate of 17.8 refugees per 100,000 population, the 25-page report made public yesterday said.

Manchester, which has about 8.5 percent of the state?s population, absorbed the lion?s share of refugees who came to New Hampshire after being forced out of their homelands across the globe because of religious, ethnic, racial and political persecution.

The city, which is the state?s largest with about 110,000 people, took in about 80 percent ? or 364 ? of the total 561 refugees who resettled in New Hampshire during the 2004 fiscal year, the last year for which federal refugee data is available, the city?s Refugee Resettlement Advisory Committee said in its report.

?No other community in the United States could be found that had resettled refugees at a higher rate than Manchester,? the committee wrote.

City Public Health Director Frederick A. Rusczek, who chaired the advisory committee, estimates 5,500 refugees ? or about 5 percent of the city?s population ? now live in Manchester. This does not include refugees who migrated here from other cities, native-born children of refugees or immigrants.

About 88 percent of the newcomers arriving here in 2004 came from Third World countries. Many were illiterate in their native languages and, with job skills often limited to manual labor and farming, their chances of not only getting jobs but getting ones that keep pace with the state?s high housing costs are slim, the report said.

?At the crux of the challenges that city departments and community agencies face with refugee resettlement in Manchester is the limited capacity of the community to provide the services necessary for a refugee family to thrive and grow in American society, rather than live in poverty with long-term government assistance,? the report said.

Of the 2,100 refugees resettled in New Hampshire between 2000 and 2004, about 1,680 came to Manchester, according to the Refugee Advisory Committee, formed in 2005 by then Mayor Robert A. Baines.

Concord, the second major resettlement site, accepted about 210 refugees during the same period, the report said.

Nashua, the state?s second-largest city, resettled no refugees from 2000-2004, according to the report.

Mayor Frank C. Guinta yesterday said he reviewed the report and expects to present it to aldermen next month with recommendations for action.

Stressing the city welcomes refugees and respects their desire to become productive citizens, Guinta said Manchester lacks resources to adequately meet all their health, education, housing and job needs and intends to ask state and federal governments for financial aid.

The mayor estimates the city conservatively spends about $3 million annually in direct costs to refugees, primarily in education, public health and welfare. This represents about 2 percent of the tax rate, he said.

Guinta disagrees with the New Hampshire Refugee Program?s claim that it has no control over how many refugees come into the state and where they are allowed to resettle. He said he hopes to meet with Gov. John Lynch to discuss challenges confronting Manchester and ask for its help in meeting them.

?I think the state certainly would benefit from a conversation ? a real, honest conversation ? about how $3 million . . . impacts the city,? the mayor explained.

?We?re certainly a welcoming city. However, to be so far ahead of the national average proves that this requires, not just a city response . . . but it demands the state recognize the challenges the city is going through,? he added.

With the average refugee earning $7.78 an hour, and many having lost jobs during recent waves of layoffs at area companies, employment looms as a critical issue in ensuring their success in a new land.

But Guinta said jobs exist in the state and he would like to ?partner? with the state, which has the resources to identify potential employers in other locations.

He singled out Nashua as one city that has not done its fair share in resettling refugees.

?We are asking the state and communities to fulfill their responsibility to help provide a better life for people who want nothing more than to be accepted and be successful,? Guinta said.

City schools taught more than 2,300 English-as-a-second-language students, who represented 76 different languages, at a cost of $2.7 million in fiscal year 2004, the report said.

But the federal government reimbursed the school district only $300,000 for the federally mandated program.

?This is a significant unfunded federal mandate,? Guinta said.

The mayor said he also plans to ask the state?s congressional delegation to increase federal funding to this program.

No, I am not surprised by this at all. From my understanding, smaller cities like Manchester, Portland, Lewiston and Burlington have always accepted a disproportionate share of refugees as compared to the larger cities (perhaps NYC excluded). I dont mean in total numbers, but rather as a percentage of total population.

consider this: in Metro Portland (which included Lewiston) there are 10,000 somalians at least. In san Diego, CA there are 10,000 somalians. something sound off here? S.D. is the second largest city in California, and portland is a raindrop compared to it in terms of population. Now if the same trend holds true for the other cities in the northeast of modest size, then manchester should expect to be leading the pack since it is the largest city by population. And it is a refugee relocation center designated place, just like lewiston, burlington and portland...and there are only about 40 or so in the entire country. why do they choose the whitest section of the country to send african and othe rimmigrants?" i dont have a clue. but i think it is brining much needed diversity to portland, and likely to manchester as well.

in 2000 portland was 91% white. now we are closer to 80% white. there are 9,000 latinos in the city, 9,000 blacks (including africans) and about half as many asians. for a city of 64,000 thats a lot. and in manchester there are more languages spoken than at our inner city school, which can look like the unuted nations at lunch time (65 languages spoken last i hears, and manch has 72 or something...).

at first i was surprised to see that manchester was resettling more refugees than portland, because i didnt get that feel when i was there last. but then i figured they must be living in a non-downtown neighborhood, one which i didnt go through. all of ours live downtown (for the most part) and i would be hesitant to say that downtown is a majority white...some parts of the peninsula you cant find a single white person, not that it matters).

and also, i think most of portlands 'new color' is coming from people who moved first to other big cities (like atlants for example) and then move here later ebcause of the violence down there. whereas it seems in manchester they come straight to the city first off the plane.

on a closing note -- i would be careful what i say if i were the current manch mayor, and i would be carel how i say it, too. so far he has not said anything inappropriate, and he has done a good job at expressing his concenrs in strictly economic (rather than racial) terms, but he seems to be on the fence, too. in lewiston, the mayor said stop coming to the somalians, we have no more money to provide you all with services, and it resulted in the largest police mobilization in the states history to prevent a massacre between immigrants and the KKK from all over the country. rent 'the letter' a documentary movie available at any public library if you wanna see more about what i mean. this sorta thing in manchester (which is 3x as big as lewiston) could be devastating. but it doesnt look like it will.

^sorry for the above spelling mistakes, i just reread my post and it sounded like I was a refugee.

i just double checked wikipedia and it appears manch is indeed a ref reloc center. meaning the mayor is wrong, they really dont choose to go to manch, they are funelled there over nashua.

an interesting bit of trivia that i also found while browsing the manch wikipedia page was that in 1950, the difference in population between portland and manchester was only 4,000. 82,000 for manch and 78,000 for portland. wtf happened in the next 50 years :shock:

I actually remember the Lewiston mayor's comments being on the news, it was quite the controversy as I remember.

Smuttynose said:
I actually remember the Lewiston mayor's comments being on the news, it was quite the controversy as I remember.

rigth. he had to resign because of them. it almost caused a masacre. The manch mayor's remarks reminded me of the lew mayor's remarks, but in a more practical, less racially-charged, sense.

No, I am not surprised by this at all. From my understanding, smaller cities like Manchester, Portland, Lewiston and Burlington have always accepted a disproportionate share of refugees as compared to the larger cities (perhaps NYC excluded). I dont mean in total numbers, but rather as a percentage of total population.

consider this: in Metro Portland (which included Lewiston) there are 10,000 somalians at least. In san Diego, CA there are 10,000 somalians. something sound off here? S.D. is the second largest city in California, and portland is a raindrop compared to it in terms of population. Now if the same trend holds true for the other cities in the northeast of modest size, then manchester should expect to be leading the pack since it is the largest city by population. And it is a refugee relocation center designated place, just like lewiston, burlington and portland...and there are only about 40 or so in the entire country. why do they choose the whitest section of the country to send african and othe rimmigrants?" i dont have a clue. but i think it is brining much needed diversity to portland, and likely to manchester as well.

in 2000 portland was 91% white. now we are closer to 80% white. there are 9,000 latinos in the city, 9,000 blacks (including africans) and about half as many asians. for a city of 64,000 thats a lot. and in manchester there are more languages spoken than at our inner city school, which can look like the unuted nations at lunch time (65 languages spoken last i hears, and manch has 72 or something...).

at first i was surprised to see that manchester was resettling more refugees than portland, because i didnt get that feel when i was there last. but then i figured they must be living in a non-downtown neighborhood, one which i didnt go through. all of ours live downtown (for the most part) and i would be hesitant to say that downtown is a majority white...some parts of the peninsula you cant find a single white person, not that it matters).

and also, i think most of portlands 'new color' is coming from people who moved first to other big cities (like atlants for example) and then move here later ebcause of the violence down there. whereas it seems in manchester they come straight to the city first off the plane.

on a closing note -- i would be careful what i say if i were the current manch mayor, and i would be carel how i say it, too. so far he has not said anything inappropriate, and he has done a good job at expressing his concenrs in strictly economic (rather than racial) terms, but he seems to be on the fence, too. in lewiston, the mayor said stop coming to the somalians, we have no more money to provide you all with services, and it resulted in the largest police mobilization in the states history to prevent a massacre between immigrants and the KKK from all over the country. rent 'the letter' a documentary movie available at any public library if you wanna see more about what i mean. this sorta thing in manchester (which is 3x as big as lewiston) could be devastating. but it doesnt look like it will.
I know I am reviving an old thread. sorry. The refugees are in central Manchester. Manchester school district is very diverse now. I'd like to see some recent statistics on the student make up.

It was sad how they reacted to the Lewiston's mayor's comments. How else could he have put it? You can't take a city that was already poor for years and then unload hundreds of people with low skills and on social services on them at that rate. He basically just said, look, we just can't absorb this right now. If it were poor refugees from Sicily he'd say the same thing.

I'm not getting into this again because it didn't work out so well for me last time, but on a side note, how do they possibly adjust to this temperature? They were not built to live in sub zero degree weather for parts of the year.

Back