Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial | Boston Common | Downtown

Boston breaks ground on a Martin Luther King memorial of its own
kb2image027_wide-a94a71c9c3c4d98921c43b28a4eebf4305df6e30-s1200-c85.webp

https://www.npr.org/2022/04/28/1095318979/boston-martin-luther-king-memorial-mlk

I still hold that this is going to become seflie fuel and so many inappropriate pictures are going to be taken with it.

I still hold that this is going to become seflie fuel and so many inappropriate pictures are going to be taken with it.
3 shots--
  • It just means that we'll be able to tell who the Backwardians are with a pic instead of waiting for them to open their mouths.
  • There's no such thing as bad press.
  • At least it's not another dude standing there looking terse or being deified on a horse for some reason.

Im excited for this. Its a 1 of a kind vs just another statue of a man standing and pointing intently into the distance, the bronze color is nice, and I believe its going to have a “bean” effect like in Chicago where when visiting a city and wanting to get place making pictures for social media that show what city youre in people hugging under the structure and taking pictures will have that effect here for Boston. Plus MLK spent an important portion of his life in Boston and I think its good to remember/tell that part of his story.

Embrace Memorial Starts Cross-Country Journey to Boston
“The Embrace” — a memorial built in honor of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and his wife Coretta Scott King — has started its nearly 3,000 mile journey to Boston.

It isn't easy moving what is soon to become a new fixture on the Boston skyline, but "The Embrace" has started its nearly 3,000 mile journey to the city.

The bronze sculpture, which measures 20 feet tall and 40 feet wide, was built in Walla Walla, Washington. This summer we got an exclusive look as more than 100 workers put the 609 pieces that will make up The Embrace together at the Walla Walla Foundry.

This week, it was deconstructed and loaded onto trucks that would make the drive from Washington State its final destination on the Boston Common.

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/loca...ross-country-journey-to-boston/2898329/?amp=1

One thing that I hadnt thought about until just now is that since this is being made out of bronze its going to naturally gain a green patina over time. I wonder if they plan on polishing it annually to keep the bronze look or if they will let it take on the natural coloration with time. Im not sure which version I think is best for this particular memorial, even though in most cases Im a fan of the green patina, I think either way would be pretty iconic. Anyways it will be interesting to watch over time how it changes and what direction they decide to go.

Back